SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After much deliberation I decided that I would go with two completely separate control systems. I am very happy with how the modification ended up and have really enjoyed getting my analog cars back on track. The wiring is simple and I didn't take any pictures of the process. I have included a picture of the finished project as I think it came out looking pretty good. If anyone out there is considering this mod you should do it, it is not very hard and has given me back the simple analog enjoyment I was missing.

·
Bruce Yingling
1,657 Posts
That does look nice! It isn't a very hard modification, and if you have (or are planning on getting) any analog cars, it really is worth it. I went with the 'chip the lanes' method, because it seemed like such a brilliant idea when I first read about it. It was the easiest and cheapest route for me, too. I've thought about changing to separate systems on my next rebuild. That's a long way off, so I've got time to think about it.

There aren't any pictures in my thread- because I'm just not that good

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes I read all of your modification thread and the link you had to the site with specifics, I was close to doing that mod but really felt like this would suit me better and so far i feel like I made the right choice. Thanks for all your inspiration!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello there.

First time posting, but i have been doing a lot of reading.

New to the slot cars, well since i was a young man and ran HO's. I just recently purchased an analog and then a digital track. Both Carrera.

So in reading this great idea of being able to run both on the same layout, i would like to know how to do it.

jim5six, can you please share the instructions on how to do this?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi guys,

I too have chipped my lanes for analog and digital (Pro-X), in addition to making sure the was no connection at the lane changers I had to install a switch to cut the power to the pit stop lane when running analog otherwise I blew the chip feeding that lane. I have a switch to change modes for each lane individually so I am able to run in analog mode in 1 lane and Pro-X in the other (not using the lane changers or pit lane of course).

I have also been buying digital cars and converting them (at least for the time being) to analog by changing the power connection to bypass the chip and connect directly to the pickup. Now I buy and run any car with little effort.

Steve

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
SKULLS,
It is not that hard to make the modifications. I will get you some specifics when I have the time. Basically you wire the Black box to one side of a ON-OFF-ON switch (adding a set of wires for two lanes). Wire the Analog to the other side of the switch. Wire the center of the switch to the track. When the switch is in the center OFF position there is no power running to the track. Other than that I just filed down the center tracks of the lane changes and used a multimeter to verify that there was no power moving across them, you could just tape it up really but i wanted a more permanent solution. Basically you just need to make sure there is no power transfer between the rail(s) as they switch from one side to the other. I will take some pictures if this isn't clear. I was planning on disconnecting all the power feeds for the lane change boards from the track and powering them up only when the Digital switch was thrown but after testing with a multimeter I saw no reason to as the power levels were of no significant change between analog and digital. The track works fine in both modes but I will still do that on my permanent layout. I do not have a lap counter yet, but i plan to only use it for digital racing so it will only require a switch to turn it on when the digital mode is activated. I may make that separate or integrate it into the single toggle, I dont know yet.

-Jim

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Steve, doing the lanes separately is an interesting idea. I can see how that would be of benefit, I may have to think about doing that... But later this is fun and functional as is!
-Jim

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Steve.. BTW new Carrera digital cars can run analog with the flip of the little switch on the bottom, so they don't need any modifications... maybe i read your post wrong, but it sounded like you are modifying new digital cars for this...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Jim,

Petr is correct the switch is for direction. Since I have all PRO-X LC, blackboxs etc. I decided to go to the analog & PRO- combo, can always convert the Carrera digital back by swapping the connectors back. Using an overhead lane counter do not know if the mode would work if I run one lane analog and another PRO-X.

regards,

Steve

·
Registered
34 Posts
Skull - here are the drawings a promised you. As for the switch I don't want to argue but I verified on all my digital cars last night the small toggle switch on the bottom allows the car to be used in analog mode. the switch on analog cars is for direction changes. I cannot speak to Pro-X cars because I do not have any.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
C124 question for you:
How are getting power to the lap counter? Did you pull the Red wire off the track and run it to the switch? I just got a lap counter and wasnt sure what to do, I just know I dont want to hurt the electronics while in analog mode.

thanks in advance for the info.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi I,m really new at digital this seams a bit extreme to run both anolog and digital on the same track, Scalex has released a new unit that will run both maybe Carrera will to. I have an anolog system and want to convert to digital my question is why can't I leave my anolog unit and power supply hooked up and just turn off the power! then turn on the digital power supply would it work properly? That way I could just switch power to which ever system I wanted to use.

Thanks

·
Greg Gaub
16,378 Posts
because the analog power will fry the digital unit. you need to actually break the wired connection between the box and the track before you do that kind of thing. That's why you have to either do a mod like this, or totally swap out the parts. Hopefully Carrera does add an analog mode feature like Scalextric did to their unit. I don't recall seeing any mention of that kind of thing for their next unit, though, so that kind of thing is probably years away, even if they started on it already.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.