SlotForum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes, this time it really is..... Sadly the end is now upon us,
not a huge surprise but a massive disappointment... After so many ups and downs and what I think is one of the best racing circuits around, the curtain has finally come down upon our club, last night saw, Heckle and Speckle, Squiddy, The Sponge and Me dismantling all the work that had gone into building the track over the last couple of years, it was a pretty sad gathering I can tell you... We started moving all the sofas and stuff from upstairs, the monitors from around the track and then we took all the borders off and stored them in boxes, after a couple of hours of miserable toil we decided the next thing to do was have a few beers, this interlude then finished with a couple of games of table football and then each of us going home.... It's tough to see your dream slowly dismantled, although I have heard that one or two miserable gits are more than happy to see us closing down, (apparently "yessss", a 'raised fist' salute and some cheering was issued by a few particularly sad members of another club, my own dignity will not allow me to name the club or the individuals, (you know who you are), so I will spare your blushes) unfortunately for those who are happy to see us close, (and this is the amusing bit), we will be opening again very soon at my garage in Kilburn, N.London with a brand new Ninco layout, a Polistil rally track and a new permanent clubhouse... so stick that in your pipe and smoke it...

OK I've had my moan and no more will be said by me about it.....

Moving on, the track (see our website) is now up for sale, ideally I would like it to go complete to another club, I reckon the club would need a large permanent venue due to the size of the track, it's approx 14 metres long and 6 meters wide and it's not really possible to take apart and put up and down every week, although if someone could be bothered I guess it could be made semi-movable... Afew things to mention about it are as follows

6 lanes, Scalextric sport track 'veneer' pinned onto 18mm mdf, the track has been hard wired to eliminate as much power loss as possible, the layout sits on screw in legs and the main straights have been strengthened with metal box section, it's difficult to express how much effort has gone into this track to ensure trouble free running even down to the design which we were determined to make relatively easy to marshall and requiring as few marshalls as possible with such a large track, 6 marshalls can cover it quite comfortably, we hardly ever need to stop the race for cars coming out on the straight as the straight has been laid and pinned nice and flat, There are borders all the way around and on most of the corners we have double bordered it to allow the cars to slide without hitting the barriers, at the right price we will include all the hardware and software including 4 monitors with splitters, start/finish gantry, race control programme, fully wired controller sockets, 6 adjustable transformers from 3 - 21 volts, I think they are 3 amp.

I'm sure there is more and if anybody is interested just call me on 020 8452 0739 between 8.00 and 6.00 any weekday and I'll give you more information

One other thing, I would just like to congratulate my team mates at Finchley on our success at the Champions League event over the last 6 months, we managed to finish in FIRST place, I think it was a great swansong and a performance that we should be proud of, so well done Ernie, Spongey, Squid, Heckle and Speckle and a special thanks to Keith who made the effort to come all the way from the Isle of Wight to support our club in two of the events, even travelling on one occasion by ferry to Portsmouth, train to Oxford and then a £40.00 cab ride to the track.... must be bloody mad... but cheers Keith you're a diamond (an imitation diamond, but a diamond all the same) but seriously WELL DONE

·
Registered
197 Posts
Can understand your sadness at closing after so much hard work but totally admire your determination to not only carry on but possibly go one better....keep us informed as your new clubhouse/track will be within cycling distance from me.......all the best and good luck to you all

·
Registered
624 Posts
Sorry to hear about the closing down (or moving) of the club...
I'm not surprised with the price of renting a hall/small warehouse in London which is ridiculous.
With a new clubhouse/track in a garage, running costs will drop dramatically for you and the members.
Okay, a home track is tiny in comparison but there are alternatives like going digital with 6 cars using 2 or 3 lanes.....
and then more cars can be added with Scorpious/Oxigen/DAVIC systems. The possibilies are endless.

I wish you and the club the best,
Chip

·
Premium Member
3,787 Posts
Thats a shame. I liked the Finchley setup. great track and the monitors and the comfy chairs were great. Not to mention Mrs Squiddys great bacon sandwiches.... sorry i did assume that was Mrs Squiddy lol I hope that was correct.

Anyway I for one am sad to see the demise, lets hope the new setup works well

·
Registered
185 Posts
Sorry to hear you have to close. The track looks awesome.

What does veneer pinned mean? I have a 4 lane at home that I need to fix to the table somehow.

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
Just wishing you guys all the best and hope that your new venture will be even better. keep your chins up. Mike (Presto Park, Norfolk)

·
Premium Member
8,227 Posts
Always sad to hear any club closing. But it`s great that you have a second chance. Two fingers to the tossers who cheered your demise. You are the true hobbyists , not them!
PS. How many clubs still exist down South? We at Washington are probably the last club racing out of the box standard slots in the North East. When I first started practically every pit village had a club.....Good Luck ....

G

·
QUOTE (slotbutton @ 9 Apr 2009, 17:20) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Sorry to hear you have to close. The track looks awesome.

What does veneer pinned mean? I have a 4 lane at home that I need to fix to the table somehow.

Panel pinned is another term that could be used. It's simply nailed to the board below.
Look forward to the resurection Ian and i know how hard you have worked.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you all for all of your support on the Slot Forum, sorry I didn't reply earlier but I've been out and about over the Easter weekend
Just a couple of things....

First, thanks John for trying to marry my missus off to Squiddy, but trust me it's not that easy to get rid of her...
(only kidding) but I'm glad you enjoyed the sandwiches, and the sofas are coming with us to the new venue.

Second, "Veneer pinned", Winkle was nearly right but veneer pins are a bit thinner than "panel pins" I discovered them in my local timber merchants, the ones from B&Q are not very good as they seem the same size as their panel pins.

Third, My garage set up hopefully won't be too long in getting up and running, also when I say garage it's not in my home garage it's in the garage where I work, I have managed to scrounge an area which is about 22 metres x 5 metres, a bit narrow but fairly long, it's part of a railway arch for those who are interested, also if any one wants to, you are most welcome to come along have a look and even offer some input if you wish, and thanks Eddie for the offer I will call you some time today and have a chat.

Finally, I could do with selling the existing track, anyone interested call me asap, I will sell it either complete or dismantled the sooner I know the sooner I can strip it down (or not),

Cheers Nobby

1 - 10 of 10 Posts