SlotForum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It is with great sadness that I write this message tonight. Instead of being at our club, enjoying a good night's racing, I am instead sat at home in front of the computer feeling pretty miserable. No more Finchley Manor. It all seemed so different 6 months ago. After a year's worth of preparation we were finally ready to welcome all comers to race at one of the biggest and best slot car circuits in the land. The early signs were good- lots of interested visitors and some exciting race nights. Plenty of praise and generally positive comments from all who attended. But despite the initial promise, it never quite caught on. I'm struggling to understand why, but the fact is we just didn't attract enough regular members to keep the place going. You can try just so much, but if people don't turn up, well then you can have the best track in the world and it doesn't mean a thing. So that's it. We tried our best and all that remains to be said is a big thanks to those who supported our attempts. Abbo did a great job of the website, Doug helped a lot when we were setting up. Eckle, Mannequin, Dave, Russel, Nick, Bricey, Fishy, Johnno, and our champion driver Ernie, you all helped greatly by coming along and being part of some really good race nights. As for the future... Who knows where Spongey Nobby and I will turn up next? It could be at your club readers! Finally, I just want to end by thanking the two guys who tried so hard to make this thing happen. Sponge, you love reminding us all of your Euro Championship glory days back in the 70's! Well you put in a champions effort here mate. And to our leader, mentor, spirit guide, guv'nor, and right tasty geezer- Nob, you're the daddy! Oh, and when you're closing up for the last time next week Nobby... See that door. On your way out, Shut it you Slag! Cheers all, Squiddy.

G

·
I am really sorry to hear that. As you may know,Ian and i were partners (untill Amanda came along:lol: ) in building the original GT Raceway track.
Thankfully we have managed to keep the club running down here but it's been close.
I know how hard Ian and the rest of you have worked to keep the club going. It's another nail in the coffin for this type of racing in the UK and another reason why,apart from our very successful trips to France for the Safran 24 hour,why we are struggling to compete with other European countries.
Hopefully,in time,Finchley can be resurrected.
Let this be a warning,you need to support your local clubs.
Good luck to Ian,Squiddy,Sponge Bob and the rest.

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
Hi guys, I'm, really sorry to hear Finchley has closed. I don't think you did anything wrong but 'Scalex type' racing is not at the top of peoples agenda these days, there seem to be so much out there for young and old alike to participate in, unlike when I started in the early 60's.

Here in Norfolk we have three clubs BUT it is hard work to continually get people through the door in any great numbers each week and you can only do so much short of kidnapping them. Wherever you are located I think you reach a saturation point for that area and then people drop away for various reasons causing the club to close.

I sincerely hope you can find a solution and wish you all at Finchley the very best of luck for the future. Mike (Presto Park, Norfolk)

·
Marc Abbott
1,912 Posts
This is bad news - the second club in the area to go under in about a month (for different reasons).

I hope you lads don't just sit at home watching TV and growing large® over the coming months... there's other clubs within easy distance to keep your hand in. I'm sure you'd all be welcome at Burnt Oak, West London and MHSC etc.

Oh, and don't think you're getting of competing in the Champions League - you're all still a team after all!

Good luck with what ever you decide to do.

ABBO

·
Registered
209 Posts
I don't think Spongey can get any larger Abbo, and don't worry you can't get rid of me and the Squid too easily, We'll still be around annoying you all....

As for the track, I'm going to West London tomorrow to have a chat with Rus about the possibility/logistics of using the track there, it would be such a shame

to lose such a great racing circuit (I know Matt thinks it too big, but I guess when you're used to having such a small one...
) and also remember,

never say never, things could still change.... there are still plenty of Russian oligarchs looking for big clubs to put their billions into, COME ON Mr Abramovich

and Co...I've also had an enquiry from someone else about the track so there are possibilities that it may live on

PLUS Although we are closing down, we are still going to be here till Christmas and if we get enough people turn up regularly we may be able to

keep going into the New Year, I know it is inevitable that we are going to leave, as the property is being developed into a medical centre, but it would be

nice to hang on for as long as possible, but and it's quite a big BUTT this can only happen if people come along and race, like Squiddy I'm at a loss as to

why it hasn't been a success, we've tried so bloody hard, the track's great, the venue's great, there's plenty of parking, there's no dragging it out of a

cupboard and putting it up every week, I could go on.......

I know that there are loads of people that like the idea of scalex, but getting them off their bums and into the clubs is getting increasingly difficult

If nothing else comes of this club closing then let it be seen as a kick up the backside to all of you that 'think' about going along to a club night but can't be

bothered...... remember USE 'EM OR LOSE 'EM

ONE MORE THING, PLEASE LET'S MAKE SURE THAT WE GET A GOOD TURN OUT NEXT TUESDAY, IT DEFINITELY WON'T BE OUR LAST NIGHT BUT IT WILL BE

ONE OF THE LAST, SO PLEASE COME ALONG IT MIGHT BE YOUR LAST CHANCE AND YOU NEVER KNOW, YOU MIGHT JUST ENJOY IT

Cheers,

Nobby

·
Marc Abbott
1,912 Posts
Re - The West London possibility.

How big is each section?

They have to store their present track in a walk-in cupboard and each section is just about six foot tall.

I think the entire track you have would be too big for the hall - so perhaps the squiggly bit after the main straight would have to go????

Anyway - this is all conjecture - maybe see you tomorrow night.

ABBO

·
fred
1,608 Posts
Sad to hear of the demise of another club, but not suprised of the reasons.

Unless you can operate on a shoestring and not dependant on a large membership, I think you are facing an uphill struggle. especially in London.

I'm surprised clubs like woodgreen, burnt oak et al have been going so long.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Guys,

I am quite gutted for you.

I do not think that you have done anything wrong in your endeavour.
I really do like racing at your circuit.
I would put it down to the fact that only a certain amount of people want to race at a club and from my own brief experiance that quite a few of them go to more than one. For myself persuading the missus that i want to go out untill well late and then fall asleep on the sofa the next night each week is challenge sometimes
A lot of people travel a distance to go to said clubs and are lucky if it is on their doorstep.
There are 3 clubs maybe 4 in not too large an area 1 of them, not yours, that are struggling for numbers.
Any point in looking further north?

If nothing else please have a word with your lads and come along to Burnt Oak and join up! You would all be most welcome. Dont be strangers you guys have a wicked sense of humour.

Cheers

Dave

·
Registered
209 Posts
The big difference between us and Wood Green/Burnt Oak etc is that they hire a hall once a week and have to set the track up each time, therefore their

rent is very low, our track is a permanent set up and there are many benefits to that, ie flat track, bigger circuit, multiple screens showing racing status, we

have an upstairs gallery, we've even got a bar football table.... but the price we pay is obviously that the rent is higher the running costs are greater eg.

electricity, water and all the other stuff that goes with it, so race fees have to reflect that, I personally think the small extra cost of racing is worth it (we still

only charge £5.00) the shortfall in money is generously paid for by our regular members, THANK - YOU (Squiddy, Spongey, Eckle, Mannequin Man and

Ernie) who pay AT LEAST DOUBLE that to help keep the club running.

Unfortunately we have lost a few regular members through "other commitments", if they were still attending we would not be in this situation, as I said in my

earlier post "if clubs are to continue we need people to commit to racing every week" sadly too many feeble excuses are bandied around, even more sadly

this "can't be bothered" syndrome and general apathy has caused this terrific club to close, make sure it doesn't happen to your club!!!!!

Ooops sorry... Just to qualify "your club" I don't mean Tendring I just meant it as a general term.... everyone needs to beware

Nobby

·
Registered
209 Posts
Point taken Dave and thanks for the praise, Squiddy and Ernie are coming along tonight (no doubt to bend a few ears), we are also going to West London

tomorrow, I guess we will all be coming to one or both of your clubs in the not too distant future,

If there is an available venue in St Albans or somewhere around that area I'm sure we wouldn't be averse to looking at moving up North, Eee by gum lad

Hope to see you next week if you can persuade the missus, we can have a chinwag then

Cheers Dave

Nobby

·
Registered
209 Posts
Marc

The track is probably too big, but there is a possibility that it could be altered to fit........... I know Diddy is quite handy with a chainsaw
lol

1 - 12 of 12 Posts