SlotForum banner

Finchley Manor Scalextric Club (Work In Progress)

22K views 51 replies 12 participants last post by  fw14b 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Within the next month we shall be opening a new club in Finchley
I am one of the new club members who has been extensively involved in the I.T. project development for the new club.
  • Track Facilities
    • 6 lane Permanent Scalextric Analogue Track (Only a maximum of 6 racers on at a time) (Lanes: Green, Brown, White, Blue, Yellow & Red)
    • Track length estimated at 160 to 180 foot in length
    • A working area for members to prepare their cars for racing.
    • Computerised timing software (Scalex Club Manager v3.01 (Designed by Kevin Tombeur))
    • Red racing lights and infra red lap timing sensors (designed by Richard Daniellan)
    • A switch to allow racing in either direction (bidirectional - clockwise or anti clockwise (has not been implemented as yet))
    • Each lane has its own dedicated power current supply and allows for engine breaking.
    • 8x 21 inch monitor screens display around the track and elsewhere:
      • Who should be Racing and Marshalling the Track
      • Live race results
  • Rest, Recreation & Spectator Facilities
    • We have an upstairs balcony area with:
      • A partial view of the track (the longest straight) and racers podium,
      • Sofa seating for 11 people
      • TV and Music system
      • Monitor screen on balcony for spectators to see live race results.
      • The track is designed around the posts holding up the balcony providing an additional challenge for drivers.
  • Other information
    • We are estimating to complete the track within the next 3 weeks.
    • Project photos coming soon
    • Phone contact details for the club coming soon.
    • Address of club to follow for Grand Opening date.
    • I will be developing a website soon on behalf of the club.

See less See more
#4 ·
I just wanted to echo thoughts already expressed, and add my very best wishes
for this project too, I hope everything goes as smoothly as possible. As I live just down the road in Golders Green, I would be very interested in becoming involved at some stage.

Regards,
Usagi.

#8 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hehe, the terminology bi directional is often used in data, network and telephone transmission and communication.
I could have said half duplex as another way of saying it but then you might think its something to do with wrestling or the karma sutra!

Thanks for all the good will from everyone whos posted, we still have an awful lot of wiring to do yet, last night we were adding the borders to the track.
All the club members will need a talk to see if the public can come down to have a look at progress first hand.

The pictures I promised

2D diagram of the track is here

Some track photos

#9 ·
This looks as challenging as the Tottenham track! I reckon poor old Dave "diddy" Druce will get lost about half way around though

I'm estimating you'll need 11 odd marshalls plus race controller and six drivers to be comfortable. But then again, I'm sure you're all good enough that you won't come off anyhow.

Keep up the good work

ABBO

#11 · (Edited by Moderator)
Looking at the track diagram we will need a minimum of 4 marshals but ideally 8-11

Shouldn't be a problem, we will be running race nights on Monday and Tuesday eventually.

I read Finchley's [NLSME] website that they run races on Thursdays. We should not overlap.

If anyone has any further queries or for visiting the track when we are working on it to see progress for themselves please call this mobile no

07861 688 521

We also have plenty of parking space where we are.

#14 ·
Thanks Allan for the update, should be fun going to all the clubs round london, look forward to visiting yours some time.

I have only ever raced at the former New Tottenham Raceway (R.I.Pieces)

Just itching to get this new club finished and do some racing.

#16 · (Edited by Moderator)
Abbo, I managed to find some photos of tottenham raceway from searching on google, and comparing the new track diagram to tottenham raceway I would say the overall new track is slightly smaller, and some long straights have been lost, and one of the bends.
I will be measuring the track soon with string.
The width of the building we are in for the new club is smaller than that of tottenham raceway, but I think the length may be about the same or smaller.

http://www.slot32.co.uk/html/tottenham_raceway.html

#18 · (Edited by Moderator)
I started website development yesterday afternoon, I'm aiming to have it done within the next 2 weeks.

Opening times are still being debated by the club members although its likely we will be running on Mondays and Tuesdays between 7:30pm and 10:00pm

For the rest of the info call the mobile number on my sig should you want the address to visit the track while in construction.

#19 · (Edited by Moderator)
I have been measuring the track

We have 105.71ft or 32.22m of straight track for a single dual lane (bends not measured yet)
Our longest straight excluding the bends is 32.45ft or 9.89m (with the bends just over 10m)
The initial track estimate of 160 - 180ft is an overestimation.

Total straight track used for one dual lane
Normal straights 90 (for all 6 lanes 270)
Half Straights 3 (for all 6 lanes 9)
Quarter straights 2 (for all 6 lanes 6)

I have 14x6 (all lanes) bends to measure next week before I can give an accurate figure.

#21 · (Edited by Moderator)
We are located in the former Finchley Manor Gardening Centre on East End Road, East Finchley
We have our own car park with around 20 parking spaces. If anyone wants to visit we are down there working on the track Mondays we are there from 7:30pm

Satellite view (if you can see the greenhouses to the east of the circle that is the landmark for us).
http://www.multimap.com/maps/?hloc=GB|120%...gland,%20N2%200

Map View, over the fence on the south end of the garden centre is the crematorium.

http://www.multimap.com/maps/?hloc=GB|120%...gland,%20N2%200

#24 ·
Just to update you all on progress,
  • All the scalextric borders and barriers have been added to the track.
  • Sponge barrel barriers have been added to the bends on the longest straights in the track to prevent cars from flying off the track.
    • (fw14b of GT Raceway loves to deliberately ram them just to watch them explode
      I remember him racing at Tottenham)
  • We have begun fitting the custom cut wooden barriers to the track stands to provide additional protection to stop speeding cars from flying of the track.
  • Wiring of the track began last night and the first straight has been completed.
  • The roof has been repaired stopping leaks (of which one was directly over the track and we had to put waterproof covers over to protect it from rust)
  • Yet again I discovered my track diagram is wrong but there are only minor faults left, this was due to the track covers being over during the water leak and caused me to miscount..
  • Began clearing the track of debris to prepare the track for better photos.
  • Planning to tape my camera to a car to record a video of the track from car view once it has been fully wired and works

#25 ·
  • No Photos were not taken last night as there it not that much new at the moment.
  • Thanks for the visit to the club last night Usagi.
  • Wiring is currently occuring on the west track bends. (Nobby is aiming to come down during the week and have it completed by next week)
  • Track clearing is underway.
  • Painting of the outer wooden borders is currently underway.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.