SlotForum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Here's my newly finished layout.. There is a removable section where the road course turns in off the oval so tha track can be an oval or a road circuit. It's also wired to run in both directions..and becasue the oval has 2 very different corners the track can be used in 4 configurations that give a different feel each way.

It's 20 feet long and 8 feet wide at one end, 5.5 feet long on the other end.

I'm using TrackMate for windows lap timing software, optical sensors and a home made light bridge.

I'll add little bits of scenery and spectators here and there, but for the most part, it's race ready~

Here are the pictures:

You can see how we extended 2 of the lanes in that last picture.. this helped to take away the advantage for the inner lane on the oval by sending it farther in the infield. By doing this, all 3 lanes are running within 1 tenth of a second.

So far my best times are with a Fly Lola.. Here's the best laps for each lane thus far~

Lane 1 best lap was 9.512
Lane 2 best lap was 9.607
Lane 3 best lap was 9.593

I've run several test sessions using the same car in all 3 lanes for 30 - 40 laps and each time my best laps for each lane are within a tenth.. I'm real happy with that~

Thanks for the look~

·
Registered
37 Posts
Absolutely amazing!!!! excellent idea with the removable piece to change to an oval track!!! I hope when I build my track that it is even half that great!!
Can you show more detail of the removeable piece

·
Registered
103 Posts
Thanks for the kind words everyone

This was my first attempt at a routed layout.. It went through many design changes before it ended up the way you see it. At first I was going to have just a road course with a crossover and more scenery, but after much thought and 'imaginary driving' of the layout in my head, I decided a combination track would be more entertaining in the long run.

My drivers stations have switches to reverse the direction of travel so you can run clockwise or counterclockwise on both the oval and the road course.. The road course has a very different feel depending on which way you go. Not so much on the oval but at least that option is there to shake things up every now and then.

Here are a couple more pictures that show the removable section of the road course and the piece that goes in it's place to complete the oval.

edit: I forgot to mention.. the average lane length on the oval is 45 feet and the road course is 76 feet. The oval straights are 13 feet long and the infield straight is a little over 12.

·
Peter Rondel
6,022 Posts
This is one cool track!!! I saw it, just a quick look................decided, yeah right, another routed track......but this looks great, 2 different tracks and..............I like the white lines on the grey tarmac.

fabulous job

and, sneaky lined up, a gunston triplet!?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
"and, sneaky lined up, a gunston triplet!?"

yeah, I like the Gunston cars. I race the Lola all the time, it's a great no mag car. I don't race the 917 or the Chevron trhat often though. I've got another Gunston car in the works.. I picked up a resin body and had some decals made for this car.. now that the track is running I'll have time to get modeling again

http://www.capri-perana.co.za/gunston.html

cheers~

·
Peter Rondel
6,022 Posts
well, I'll wait and see what you are going to make!
And, more than that, I'm interested in your choice of color for the bodie. it seems easy, but it's very difficult to make something that orange/brown I think.

Peter

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Aah .. things or tracks like this makes me green with envy! Excellently executed and flawlessly fluent flow in the flanes .. Are you a pro in this kind of work, a carpenter?

But seriously, brilliantly thought out trackplan and a very good use of space! (*makes a scribble of the plan*)
I suppose you can sneak around the right hand end for swapping to the straight?

-( R )-

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
"Are you a pro in this kind of work, a carpenter?"

Hardly.. I sit at a computer all day doing customer service work. I do know how to read a tape measure and work power tools though. A friend of mine (who posts here sometimes under either Dickie or nhdungeonracer) came over and helped me with the routing. I had a basic idea of the layout drawn on the mdf but then Dickie and I added in the squeeze and the "late brake corner". We used the flexible routing strip and router base sold by Luf at oldslotracer.com for the entire track except for the wide end of the oval.. that's a constant radius turn, the rest are all free formed.

"I suppose you can sneak around the right hand end for swapping to the straight?"

Yes, I've got 18 inches down that back wall so I can get in there and easily swap the sections. It only takes about 2 minutes to unscrew and unplug the road course and drop in the oval section and get it attached and running~

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.