SlotForum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

This is my first post here and I have some questions. I recently bought a figure 8 analogue Carrera GO set at a second hand store. I am completly new to slot cars so I have no knowlage about the hobby and was looking for some advice.

How expensive is the hobby?

I understand that no hobbys are free and was wondering if getting into slot cars is financialy draining?

How inviting is the community to new comers?

I used to be into model railroading and I found the community was quick to brush me off unless I was willing to pour all my time and money into my railroad.

Where is the best place for canadians to shop for Carrera Go products?

Carrera's website/store seems to be a little bit lacking/hard to navigate.

Can I buy replacement stickers for the cars?

Could anyone tell me anything about my set?

It came without a box so I have no manuals or information. Does anyone know the

-Value

-Technical information

(I built the supports myself as the "Ball Socket Pyramids" [don't know if there's an official name] that were with it were broken)

Thank you, Trogdor22

·
Registered
536 Posts
Welcome to the forum !

Re expense, I think that the hobby is as costly as you want it to be.

In my experience, the community has been very open and inviting to all, and no question or comment is considered trivial.

Sorry I cannot answer any of your questions concerning your Carrera Go set.

Steve

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
Hi and welcome, I started just a year ago,and this forum has been a great help, just ask and somebody knows and will help . I can't help with your set as I do 1\32 on a MDF track , but there is a wealth of experience on this site All the best Steve

·
Premium Member
3,083 Posts
Welcome.

The Forum Handbook LINK is a worthwhile read for newcomers. It contains all the information you need to make the forum work properly for you and the friendly people on here will answer most other questions you might have.

We have some Canadian members on here so hopefully they will be able to point you in the direction of some suppliers.

As to 'how expensive?' - like all hobbies this can vary from not a lot to an arm and a leg depending how deep you want to get into it. Slot cars are somewhat cheaper than model rail engines but that usually just means you end up buying a lot more of them! A basic set up with half a dozen cars will not break the bank but, going to the other extreme - all singing and dancing digital layouts can set you back $1000s.

·
Premium Member
2,766 Posts
Welcome to the 1/43rd scale forum.

Looking at the pictures this doesn't look like a Carrera Go!!! set, the normal Go!!! controllers and barriers are different.. Is it battery powered? I know Carrera do a few battery sets that here in the UK are sold through the bargain stores, but this looks more like one of the generic sets produced in Hong Kong. Any chance of a photo of the bottom of the cars?

Like has already been said you can spend as much or little as you like. Second hand cars can be bought quite cheap from the e_b** but most will be from Europe or the US so you will have to consider postage costs. Even for new cars 1/43rd scale is one of the cheaper options.

Using the search option you will find lots if answers but no matter how trivial a question you post you will get a friendly response from other members.

So enjoy your set and have fun.

PS to post pictures use the more option and then choose file to loads files directly from your computer.

·
Andy Player
3,876 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

1/43 scale and Carrera Go! are a really good entry-point into slot cars. You get a lot for your money and you can fit much more track into a normal-sized space that the bigger 1/32 and 1/24 scale systems.

The set you have bought looks like it is battery operated? Other 1/43 scale enthusiasts will hopefully chip in with a more definitive answer, but I am pretty sure the battery operated sets run on 6 volts and have controllers and cars that are designed to only work at those voltages.

The standard Carrera Go! sets and cars are designed to work off a wallwart transformer that provides just under 15 volts. What I think you'll find is that your cars will feel too fast and out of control on a standard Go! track with 15 volts. Likewise, standard Go! cars will barely move on the 6V battery pack.

So how to progress? The battery set is great fun - enjoy it. The track pieces (apart from the power supply straight) are identical to all other Carrera Go! track, so you can easily expand your layout. The easiest and cheapest way to do this is to pick up more sets (second-hand is good). This will probably leave you with options for both a 15 volt and a 6 volt set-up - use your original cars with the 6V power pack, power straight & controllers and your standard Go! cars with the 15V power pack, power straight & controllers.

As for Canadian Go! dealers - a Google search may help - plus a search on eBay Canada. Probably your best bet is buying from the USA, finding places that ship cheaply to Canada. There are lots of cars available both new and used, plus some spares. You can also buy individual track pieces - including wider-radius turns, lap counters and some great 'novelty' pieces like chicanes and bridges.

Carrera have recently released a new power, lap timing and 'gaming' add-on to Go! called "Go Plus". It is based around an app for apple and android smart devices and I like it. Go Plus also had a pit stop game piece, which really adds to the racing. It's aimed at youngsters and the young-at-heart rather that serious scale modellers.

There is also a digital version of Go! called "Carrera Digital 143". Compared to other digital systems, it is fairly limited - just 3 cars on track - but has the usually lane changing etc. Although the track is compatible, everything else - cars, controllers, power base etc - is different and can be very expensive.

My tip would be to progress with the 15V Carrera Go! system and maybe add the Carrera Go Plus accessories at some point.

There are lots of good tips on this 1/43 forum about how people like to run their 1/43 tracks, cars from other manufacturers and the possibilities for stratch-building and modelling using 1/43 diecast cars and plastic kits.

·
*** Leo A Capaldi ***
3,635 Posts
"How inviting is the community to new comers?

I used to be into model railroading and I found the community was quick to brush me off unless I was willing to pour all my time and money into my railroad."

Hello Trogdor22,

You will find that on here you will get good support even if you only post every now and then. In particular the 1:43 community are very helpful and encouraging.

Leo

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
Can you show a picture of the underside of the cars ?

The track and controllers are not Carrera Go. They look more like Artin/Cartronic. The one car might be an SCX Compact but I doubt it.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Hi Trogdor22

Your track is a Carrera Racing System set (now called Carrera First), which is compatible with Carrera Go.

I started out with a 6V battery set like yours a year ago, with two Minis, and now have three 15V Go sets, a Digital 143 set, enough track to fill a room and a total of twelve cars all for less than £200 off eBay. Part sets without boxes are usually a good bargain. Try not to end up with too many standard 90 degree R1 curves or loop the loop tracks.

Regards, Rob

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

As others have said, it is a Carrera set. I have a Spiderman version of the same set for my son...not that he uses it!

Having established what track you have, the first thing to do is to get more Carrera Go! track and cars. I'm sure you will have noticed by now that the little figure 8 isn't a huge challenge to drive or indeed that much fun. It is one of my biggest gripes with slot manufacturers actually. The entry level sets are so minimalist in terms of track that they quickly become dull and end up being shoved in the loft.

But let's think positive and look at the good things.

1. Carrera Go! is readily available and cheap to buy. You can buy new cars from around £15 and there are lots of second hand bargains to be had too. It will cost you about £30 to acquire a couple more sets which will give you mains power and controllers, lots more track and probably 4 more cars to boot. Look on Facebook selling pages, eBay and car boot sales if you enjoy them. I do and slot bargains can often be had.

2. 1/43rd scale is seriously cool because it offers high detail cars (Carrera's F1 cars are jaw dropping in my opinion) that you would expect in 1/32nd scale at a price that makes 1/64th scale (HO) look ludicrously over priced. You can get a great layout in a smaller space and you can get I believe 3 different radius corners to make your track that much more interesting to drive on and race.

3. The cars can be modified. Carrera Go! cars are very stuck down with strong traction magnets but with minimal effort and expense you can take the magnets out. You can add weight instead. You can fit a guide blade instead of a pin guide and you can fit better rear tyres. This will make the cars more challenging to drive which makes it more fun and more interesting.

4. Homebuilt cars. I picked up a set of 3 Airfix 1/43rd static models for £1 at a car boot sale. That's potentially 3 slot cars. And if you find Lloyd's great thread on his credit card chassis builds, that means I could have 3 cars built for under £15. And that's over estimating the cost of parts somewhat.

And then you can look at things like lap timing, better controllers and power supplies. Landscaping your track if you made a permanent one. Or even making your own track.

You could make your own track and have 10 cars to race on it for the price of a single model locomotive. I make that a very affordable hobby.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
sg1.jpg

sg2.jpg

sg3.jpg

sg4.jpg

sg5.jpg

sg6.jpg

sg7.jpg

sg8.jpg

there are many threads about adding a guide blade to a go!car ...

maybe the pictures got lost [again]...

you need to add a small piece a styrene (or similar) to the bottom of the car, drill a hole for the guide stem and solder wires to the motor.

sg8.jpg

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.