SlotForum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a bit off topic, but actually the first commercial raceway in the United States was a rail car track located in a store front in Kalamazoo, Michigan in the late 1950's. The owner was a man named Asa Currier, who imported 1/32 MRRC rail cars from the UK and rented out the cars and track time. The track may have been constructed from MRRC rail track, but since no photographs remain this cannot be confirmed. There was no connection with the Kalamazoo Rail Racing Club, but one has to wonder if Tom Cook or any of the other members patronized the track. Sadly of course, nothing remains of the cars or track.

·
Premium Member
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Don,

Thank you for the warm welcome, and sorry if I put the post in the wrong section!

I would agree with the post from 300SLR; the Patrick Kennedy track likely was the first commercial track in the world.

The intent of my original post was to provide information on possibly the first commercial raceway in the United States.

I spoke with Mr. Currier's son in the mid 1990's, and my information is based on his memories; of course our conversation took place some 40 years after the fact. It makes sense though, as one would have to assume if 1/32 rail cars were ordered from England in the late 1950's, they would have to have been MRRC. Of course it's possible Mr. Currier had someone custom build cars for him, but wouldn't the nature of a rental track require the availability of easily replaceable spare parts?

Yes, it's sad about the cars and track but it's really disappointing not even photographs exist.

Phil

·
Premium Member
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey Bernard,

As always, it was a pleasure speaking with you. I like your archaeology metaphor, but you do realize if it's true it kinda makes you the Indiana Jones of slot cars. No offense meant to anyone, but in my opinion, Bernard absolutely has the best collection in the world! I don't know if anyone else on this forum has ever dealt with Bernard, but most of the coolest things in my collection have come through him! Thanks Bernard!

Regards,
Phil

1 - 3 of 3 Posts