SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought you'd like to see my first attempt at a permanent track. It's spent a long time in the planning phase, but I've now got something to show.

Haven't posted a photo in a post before so this first one is a test and may not work.

This is the start of the project.

Photograph Road surface Asphalt Wood Flooring

Attachments

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well that appears to have worked, so I'll carry on...

I used 12mm MDF for the baseboard, supported by a simple framework of 4x1s standing on legs made from 2x2s.

I produced loads of designs of all shapes and sizes, some using different radii curves, but I settled on a simple design that fits neatly into the corner of the garage and uses just standard Carrera pieces.

The length of the main straight is 8 pieces, or approx 9 feet. The table is 14 feet long by about 11 feet wide.

I've left a crawl through space to get to the corner so that I can easily reach all parts of the track for landscaping.

Anyway, some photos.

End of day 1
Wood Table House Floor Flooring

End of day 2
Wood Flooring Floor Building material Hardwood

End of day 3
Building Wood House Interior design Floor

With the track in place
Flooring Composite material Wood Metal Train

Next step is to replace the Carrera borders with my own, make the elevation changes permanent and paint the track. After all that, I'll get to landscaping.

Thanks to all those who have shown their tracks - it's been so useful seeing what everyone else has done.

Attachments

·
Registered
290 Posts
Nice looking layout so far, is this the planned circuit? as would maybe bennefit from some different radius curves for variety tho nice and fast no doubt. the table looks great very sturdy. do you plan on adding scenery? anyway well done so far keep us posted with further pics..

·
Premium Member
2,117 Posts
Nice set up. VERY strong base! Do you plan to run heavily weighted cars? Simple's good, in my opinion. You have some space for scenery and a simple layout for firends to learn making for some close racing. Long lap lengths spread the cars out and that means less dicing, unless you run digital and have four or six cars running. Anyway, keep up the good work and post plenty of photos.

·
David Collins
2,492 Posts
rpm,

I'd agree with SPZERO. I'm sure the track is fun to drive, but if it's to be a permanent layout, you may find you get used to it rather too quickly. Some more varied curves, an esses perhaps, will make the circuit trickier and more satisfying over time. The best thing might be to use the track for a while without fixing it down, maybe try some different layouts, before you settle on a final design and then add scenic elements. Anyway, congratulations on what you've done so far, and keep us up to date with developments.

David

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the comments.

My plan was to stick with this layout - the table was designed around it and there isn't a lot of room for manouevre in some places, but it's going to take me some time to move much beyond doing a better job of the elevations and adding some more borders, so will bear in mind your thoughts about different radii curves.

This is my first ever venture into woodworking and I surprised myself with the strength of the finished product!

Plan to add some scenery - my daughter is itching to make a papier mache hill and my little boy wants a pit straight. At this stage I aim to keep it clean and simple, maybe something like Brno, as portrayed in GTR on the PC - some grassy banks and a few trees.

·
Greg Cooper
599 Posts
QUOTE (justDave @ 12 Aug 2007, 11:38) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>rpm,

I'd agree with SPZERO. I'm sure the track is fun to drive, but if it's to be a permanent layout, you may find you get used to it rather too quickly. Some more varied curves, an esses perhaps, will make the circuit trickier and more satisfying over time. The best thing might be to use the track for a while without fixing it down, maybe try some different layouts, before you settle on a final design and then add scenic elements. Anyway, congratulations on what you've done so far, and keep us up to date with developments.

David

Although the layout is simple in design, when racing against another opponent that will bring about another challenge. At a later date the track could be conveted to digital and that would bring the potential for an aggressive driving track even higher.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
About time for an update.

Progress is being made, but it's been fiddly.
I've raised the infield and outfield to the same level as the track, using some 5mm thick wood I found in the garage with 3mm hardboard on the top.
I've painted the track, and nearly all of the borders. Used Homebase external primer for this and I'm very pleased with the look and feel.
Now I'm thinking about how to mark the edge of the track with a white line, add some curbs and construct a pit building.

http://www.slotforum.com/forums/index.php?...i&img=16997

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
having some fun remembering how to post photos - keep getting an error message - dynamic pages in the IMG tags not allowed - will try again tomorrow to add some more.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Over a year since I last posted on this thread.
Progress has been sporadic. Nothing is particularly difficult, but I've been taken aback about how long everything takes.
Still, leaving my job at the end of December, and not starting a new one until sometime in Feb has given me some time to get things going again.

Along with making progress on the scenery I've also put in a power tap, which has made a small but noticable improvement to throttle response at the far end of the circuit.

Could do with some advice on fixing trees in position - all the scenery is papier mache, mostly on a cardboard lattice structure. There isn't really the depth of material needed for a pin or tube to work. Any suggestions for flat terrain and slopes?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well another year has passed, so time for an update.
Progress has continued to be intermittent, but I'm now much happier with how it looks.
It's a bit rough around the edges but all the big stuff is pretty much done. I plan to add a couple of buildings and some more shrubs and other details here and there. And most importantly spend more time racing on it!

·
Registered
251 Posts
Thats lookin' good, great work.

Nice to see someone else using their garage lol. I just finished building a 2 storey garage / workshop with 2 post lift for the 1:1 cars !

I put a loft in the roofspace above, which I'm now finishing off, then I'm gonna build my first permanent layout, using similair scenery methods to yours, but mine is to be based on the NW Scottish Highlands where I live, Scaley analogue and digital compatible.

It will be hilly twisty with very rocky lochy scenery with a narrow mountain pass at the top of the hilly twisties, then dropping down to a fast Rad 3 / 4 flyover going down to sea level along a back straight 180 then long main straight with pits.

Keep up the good work

Regards Dave

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
Love the Pit boxes!
Did you have a pattern for scratch building or just make them up as you went?
I like the practicallity of them for storing cars.

Thanks for the pics.
Cheers!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.