SlotForum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All .

I bought a "Scalextric C3 DTM" for my kids here in Spain back in 2006 . We only take it out normally at Xmas . One of the controllers burnt out . I opened it up and fixed it temporarily buy moving up the existing unaffected wire . I didn't have the correct guage to rewire the resistor strip completely so the resistance has increased slightly which obviously has effected the performance . Anyway , I'm sure you all know what I'm talking about . What I'd like to do is either repair the strip using a new replacement resistor strip (which I can't find anywhere ?) or buy 2 better controllers ? My controllers have a yellow K type connector which I suppose could be cut off if an exact replacement can't be found .

Also , I'd like to clean the track . I've seen the name "Plebys" mentioned a few times on the forum so I presume these track cleaning blocks are what I'm after ?

I've taken a photo but I can't seem to se how to attach it to the post . I'll keep looking .

Any help would be appreciated .

Sammy

·
Jim Moyes
5,074 Posts
I can't help Sammy with his controller problems, but noting that he is in Spain, thought I would avoid any ongoing confusion by pointing out that he is referring to Tecnitoys products. SCX, as many of us on here will be used to it being called.

Welcome to the forum, Sammy, and hopefully somebody will be able to help further.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Mr.M . Yes , Tecnitoys is written on the box . I presume that makes a difference , but I don't know why . Is that a European side of SCX ? Anyway , as I previously stated I'm sure I could reuse the K-plug cable and connect it to another controller if need be .

Thx for replying .

Sammy

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
Hi Sammy
Welcome to the Slot Forum

Where the resistance wire has broken, it can be repaired by unwinding half a turn and connecting the two wires together. The best way to connect them is twist them together and solder. Resistors normally use nickel chromium wire which is a bit difficult to solder but will solder if the surface is rubbed down with abrasive and soldered with active flux immediately.

Each time you do this repair you end up with one less turn of resistance wire - and hence slightly less resistance. It's unlikely such a small reduction in resistance will be noticeable.

Parma controllers are a worthwhile upgrade to replace this type of controller. If you are happy with the way your cars drive, go for the same resistance as your existing controllers

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks 300SLR . Actually you can tell the difference between them now so I think I'm going to track down a couple of Parma controllers and just make an adapter . Thanks to all for their help .

Sammy

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just a point . The working controller has a resistance of around 2.5 ohms with the throttle fully closed . I presume that I should be looking for a replacement controller with the same resistance . No ?

Thanks

·
Jim Moyes
5,074 Posts
TecniToys actually sell a Parma throttle for their own sets. Worth looking out for, but just check the cost of one compared to usual Parma prices from the forum sponsors.

·
*** Leo A Capaldi ***
3,653 Posts
Hello Sammy,
Any SCX/Technitoys controller that I have seen only has two connections, whereas Parma units have a third for the brake connection. You will be able to join the existing K connector to the Parma easily though, just leave the brake wire unconnectd (Linky to Parma wiring).
The resistance of the controller is at the point of slowest speed - when the wiper blade first makes contact with the resistor wire. I just measured across the length of the resistor and it was 62ohms but the wiper only covers up to 50ohms (approx).
Had a look on Ebay.es and surprisingly no controllers on at the moment. In reality any "standard" controller would do - Ninco, Scalextric/Hornby (UK), Carrera. a simple connection of the K cable to the controller sounds like something well within your skills.

Cannot offer any advice about Plebys, but if the rails are badly tarnished, there is no miracle cure for that (standby for claims that "Inox" is that miracle product).

Kind regards, Leo

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi Leo . Many thanks for the info . Very interesting . There are a few controllers on Ebay.es . Search for "Scalextric mando" . I've bought a replacement (item 250814934169) in the meantime until I get myself sorted . The track isn't badly tarnished . I've bought a little cleaning pad to to give it a once over . To be honest I should have been maintaining it a bit better although it's difficult as it's only out once a year . Anyway , thanks again and enjoy the festive period . Sammy

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
QUOTE (ssjenkins @ 1 Jan 2012, 10:58) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Just a point . The working controller has a resistance of around 2.5 ohms with the throttle fully closed . I presume that I should be looking for a replacement controller with the same resistance . No ?

Thanks
Please clarify where you are measuring 2.5 ohms.

As Leo has already explained how controller resistance is measured, I'd have thought the 50-62 ohms range he mentions is about right for your cars.
2.5 ohms controller resistors are made, but they are are suitable for much higher current motors than you are using.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi 300SLR . The original measurement I took was at the connector end of the cable with the throttle closed . I understand exactly was Leo has said . Saying that I haven't had time to remeasure the only working controller that I have . The item I bought on Ebay is an exact used replacement for the broken one I have . When I have time I'll find out the proper resistance of the controller and buy a better substitute . Hope this clears things up .

Sammy

·
*** Leo A Capaldi ***
3,653 Posts
Hello Sammy,
I had searched for "SCX ..." but of course as you have realised SCX = Scalextric in Spain. I just found a seller with the new style Technitoys controllers, power-base and transformer. The new p-base (and transformer) would be ideal. The jack-plug type controllers have a brake connection, and the "dynamic braking" does make a difference. The new arrangement would get the best out of the Parma controllers, but in reality, the new Technitoy ones would probably be fine for your usage. If you and children get more into slot racing then Parmas would be a good move.

Ebay.es linky - I have absolutely no connection with this seller.

Leo

Edit:- Just noticed the Pro controllers which have the K connectors but with 3 conections, didn't know they existed...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts