SlotForum banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Banned
1,694 Posts
Errrmmm, excuse me? That's quite the patronising statement there. I know you're probably getting pretty cranky up there since they banned the serving of alcohol in bars,
You are excused this once....

Lol, and you don't think what you've just said is kinda patronising?

Us 'up there' with no booze?

Yes, I'm super cranky allccy, (you can correct my spelling if you wish), but I have some self awareness....

Maybe the Newcastle Brown has got to you (that's all you drink, right?) so I think you should go for the layout in you first post, even though it's a bag of sh1te

PS: off licenses exist otherwise I'd be in bed......

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
For the record, no, I don't drink. And I'm well south of Newcastle!

Don't know how you have the nerve to call someone else's prospective layout 'sh!te' with that dropped bowl of spaghetti you've cobbled together, with all it's blocked sight lines! As I said earlier, wind your neck in!

·
Banned
1,694 Posts
Read the posts, all I did was try and to help you re .scc files....

I'm sorry I criticised your layout, but, I've learnt over the years, you can't polish sh1te....

I'm even sorrier but I don't know how to 'wind my neck in', maybe you should come 'up there' and show me how to?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
@Crustypop- You're absolutely right.
@Portals999 - I apologise too! My excuse is I don't need one. I'm just a bitch! You were right though, the first concept was sh!te, so I've gone back to the drawing board, taking into account all of the very useful critiques/suggestions from everyone. I'll post it in a couple of minutes, just putting the finishing touches to it!

·
ParrotGod
11,090 Posts
I actually like Portals999's suggestion, it could be developed further to make a nice track.But it is far than a bowl of spaghetti.

As for your latest idea Alexa, I think that you still are going to have issues with the lane changers being too close to the corners: if you are racing with magnets at a moderate speed maybe it is not yet an issue but once you start to get faster you will notice missing lane changes (or having unwanted lane changes when the flippers are left open by someone else). At one point if you really get hooked into this hobby, you might want to try magless and at that stage you are going to need a full straight before a lane changer.

The flat bridge might be also preventing you to see the cars going around the corners that is under it...but you can live with that (sometimes you have to deal with blind spots on a track).

FInally, given that the back straight is going above the second corner in the ascending part, why don't you extend the pitlane for at least another couple of full straights?

I like your small layout. I notice that the power base is just after the corner: are you not missing any laps while racing?

·
Banned
1,694 Posts
I notice that the power base is just after the corner: are you not missing any laps while racing
Gio, I think he's running anti-clockwise but it's a little confusing as one of the blue arrows is wrong way around?

·
Banned
1,694 Posts
My constructive suggestions (please don't take them the wrong way again...)
biggrin.png

1. remove XLX from start grid else you might find cars getting stuck on them during race start?

2. shorten the first hairpin (meaning XLX has to go or re-jig to keep it), this allows you a much longer pit lane, even a double pitlane?

3. extend the pit lane and add in a XLX so drivers can switch lanes to avoid cars leaving the pits

4. push the XLX on the green bridge forward 1/2 straight as it's going in to a R4

5 remove the XLX under green bridge as the sensor will be missed coming out of the corner rendering it useless?

You haven't factored in barriers/runoffs in the diagram, suppose it depends what you intend to do but runoffs make the track a lot more fun and allows drifting. I'd be careful not to have too many corners with no runoffs else the outside lane car can simply ride the barrier giving an advantage (I re-did the upper levels on my track quite recently to add in runoffs to stop barrier riding and try and reduce the 'highway' element, but there is only so much I can do with 10by5, you have plenty of space)!

Bicycle tire Slope Automotive tire Font Line

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
@Portals999 - You’re right about that arrow being the wrong way ‍♀ I think a lot of people are making the mistake in thinking automatically that I’m going to want to race competitively on this circuit, I’m not really the competitive type, it’s more likely to be me, my partner & a couole of pace cars, hence I’m not worried about a mahoosive pit lane. Point taken about XLX on start straight and under bridge, saves me buying a couple more! I was planning on putting borders & runout on most corners, I’m thinking of the hairpins being on a mountainside, with supports coming out from the rock face, so there will be more clearance below if you see what I mean, with a rock face being very steep? I’m doing this as much for the in depth scenic model building as I am somewhere to blast my car collection round (Oh god the amount I want to buy is horrendous!) Oh, and btw my username is a redaction of my name, Alexandra. I’m not a he!

·
ParrotGod
11,090 Posts
Gio, I think he's running anti-clockwise but it's a little confusing as one of the blue arrows is wrong way around?
I am talking about the current smallish layout Alexandra has in the lounge...given the way the XLC is lay out to me the cars are going from the left to the right on that picture. hence my question about missing laps.

·
ParrotGod
11,090 Posts
@Portals999 - You're right about that arrow being the wrong way ‍♀ I think a lot of people are making the mistake in thinking automatically that I'm going to want to race competitively on this circuit, I'm not really the competitive type, it's more likely to be me, my partner & a couole of pace cars, hence I'm not worried about a mahoosive pit lane. Point taken about XLX on start straight and under bridge, saves me buying a couple more! I was planning on putting borders & runout on most corners, I'm thinking of the hairpins being on a mountainside, with supports coming out from the rock face, so there will be more clearance below if you see what I mean, with a rock face being very steep? I'm doing this as much for the in depth scenic model building as I am somewhere to blast my car collection round (Oh god the amount I want to buy is horrendous!) Oh, and btw my username is a redaction of my name, Alexandra. I'm not a he!
My advice is to thoroughly test any layout you are going to end up with before starting any permanent landscaping.

·
Registered
583 Posts
that last point from grunz is the MOST important suggestion of them all if you intend to landscape

nothing worse than spending all that time and money and find in 6 months you dont use it cos it wasn,t right

·
Banned
1,694 Posts
Great advice, spend some time and make sure you're really happy with the drive before you start screwing stuff down and if you have any nagging doubts then address them.

Having said that looking forward to see you progress, I've made little progress recently on my track as have been running it in for a few weeks, I still may make make one change but that's for another day.

Noted it's not going to be a competitive club track but I wouldn't dismiss a longer pit lane from a scenic perspective. Some of my favourite scenics are the pit lanes (for instance the one in the link I posted earlier - I love his pit lane and think it adds a lot to the overall track experience, I intend one day to copy the Allianz branding strip.
thumbsup.gif
).

hairpins being on a mountainside, with supports coming out from the rock face
Sounds like a plan, I haven't decided yet if I'll do the landscaping on my raised back straight (I fall down when it comes to crafting scenic stuff), or just leave it clean so I can fit in a 1:64, maybe even 1:43 go-kart track underneath.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Thanks for all the advice! I must admit I was planning on setting it up initially as a skeleton, just mdf track bed with wood supports, using plastic scalextric borders & armco barriers, live with it for a few months before starting any landscaping. Im figuring that Ill be needing 100s of trees making, plus I can make some smaller rock outcrops that can just drop into bits of the layout once its made... Im wanting this to look more like a public road than a racetrack, so the pit lane will look like a lay-by/ scenic viewing point... I dont use a pitlane at the moment but figuring with a bigger setup it would be nice to have that option to add an extra element to my fun! An image I really keep coming back to is this famous Japanese Touge, Nikko Irohazaka. Its just stunning. Think Im going to go for the Autumn look too...! Anyone who has seen the Initial D manga film will be familiar with this road, and especially the Irohazaka jump in the last image (believe it or not, people still attempt to jump down this in a sideways drift. It never ends well! Lol!

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
I am talking about the current smallish layout Alexandra has in the lounge...given the way the XLC is lay out to me the cars are going from the left to the right on that picture. hence my question about missing laps.
Grunz- this layout has to be set up and broken down ever time I play, and I was experimenting with layouts and the Powerbase location was a bit of an afterthought....I wasn't using app on that day, but on subsequent sessions I have swapped the powerbase and following standar straight round. No problem with the XLX so close to the bend - I think the twin hairpins combo slowed everything sufficiently to allow me to get away with it!

21 - 40 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.