SlotForum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Anthony Bartlett
3,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought i would share a concept we tried here in South Africa at the beginning of July.

Without getting into any of the politcal wranglings that surrounded this,
, 2 of the larger clubs in SA decided that the ability to attend a single week long set of races, was far easier, more convenient leave wise, and a concept with merit, than it is to have to try and attend 4 seperate race meetings all over a (beautiful)country that you can travel 1000 miles to get to the next event.

This is the first time that I have attended this type of meeting and as this was a first for SA as well, it was a 'try as you buy' event. However, it worked superbly. By doing this type event, we were able to run the heats in 2 batches over 2 days each, have finals, have 2 enduro races, and full days practise.. and still have upressurised time.....

The benefits I personally found were the following:
1)As the practise and the enduro's were held on the first 2 days, it gave me time to learn an unfamiliar track, without having massive pressure of entering, qualifying and learning an unfamiliar track at the same time
2)Then, as we held the heats in 2 batches of 2 days each , I was able to significantly improve my times in the second set of heats, as by that time I had been able to check with the local drivers what was best in terms of tyres, motors, ratio's etc.
3)as we had time between classes on the various race days, it also enabled me to set up controllers, adjust driving style for the different classes, speeds etc.
4) This was the most important for me - the ability to talk to people, discuss all kinds of things, enabled me to form more friendships, cement old ones and have a beer or 2. (so thats my reason for only being able to manage a best result of 7th place)

We learnt a lot as well and next year the format will change slightly again, but I can only HIGHLY reccomend this format of racing, over the one's where you have many rushed cramped pressurised stressfull weekends...........

Comments ..... questions?????

Link to a report on the Racing:

Monte Carlo Slot Car Club - RSA

·
Russell Sheldon
2,855 Posts
Hi Anthony

It sounds like a good time was had by all! This is pretty much the format of the ISRA World Championship races. It works well, certainly from a cost saving perspective in terms of travelling and accommodation, as well as from the organisational aspect. The only problem that I have with this format is that, generally, home club drivers do have an advantage.

It's great to see slot racing in South Africa has become so popular again! I remember the national races back in the late 1960s and early 1970s, when entries numbered 80 to 100 drivers! It was hectic, to say the least!

Kind regards

Russell

·
Dennis Samson
807 Posts
Agreed - nice report on the Club's website.

A noticeable absence of many of what I would have called the "big names" in SA slot racing - was there a clash of dates with a SAMCA event, or is this just a diferent interest group?

And I didn't think I would ever say this, but - those distorted F-1s are really ugly! I guess I've spent too much time on the scratchbuilding threads on Slot Forum!

·
Anthony Bartlett
3,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
A good time was had by all.....

yes there was a clash of dates with the 3rd national held by Samca falling on one of the weekends....... as for big names - a couple of them went to the SAMCA meeting in East london and a couple stayed at home !!!!

Having seen the IMCA worlds last year, and participated in a few international events, we do need to see some changes in format in SA to meet the changing requirements and interests of the current racing community here.....

I think 2005 will be an interesting year.....

·
Registered
3 Posts
HI THERE ,
I`m totally new to this forum and at present rather a bit dazzled and confused by all the smiles etc. and will try my best to steer through this lot
With interest I read the remark about the ugly F1`S !
I must admit I`m one of the originators of these ugly ducklings.
The idea was to create a cheap alternative class to the present saloon and sports/gt classes like F1 , using the existing Champion chassis with a locally laser cut narrow outer pan equipped with a locally developed narrow Lexan body , in the spirit of open wheel F1 racing. Monte Carlo were the first to try this idea, which generated new life and interest in their weekly meetings, as well as improved their driving skills because of the open wheel factor making it more difficult to overtake.
Some people did not agree with this narrow pan concept, and went the JK body route on a fullwidth pan, enclosing the wheels , therefore making it easier to drive etc. Seen in the light of these more aerodynamically enhanced body shapes sporting exotic names like Bentley, VW and MB being used, that don`t even remotely resemble their names, I don`t think we did do too badly with the open wheel version, as you could clearly see what it resembled , and a lot of fun was had by all.

·
Dennis Samson
807 Posts
Plasticmac, don't take it too much to heart! I should have put one of those little yellow faces in there to set a light tone. Also, those on this thread who know me remember that I used to run 1/32 wing cars in the SAMCA events along with the best of them, so my slot racing past is full of "distorted" shapes!

Sounds like it was a great event with a lot of fun for all.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts