Slot Cars Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I'm starting to build my first wooden track and I was wondering what is that braided wire called that you glue onto the slot to carry the power around, I've tried to buy it here in Bundy (rum country) and they didn't know what I was talking about, but if I know the name of the stuff should help me or even if someone knows where I can get it from would be much appreciated, and if I don't put any more posts on in the near future, all have a very very merry xmas, thankyou.

·
Registered
66 Posts
QUOTE (Monaro @ 14 Dec 2003, 05:11 PM)Hi guys, I'm starting to build my first wooden track and I was wondering what is that braided wire called that you glue onto the slot to carry the power around, I've tried to buy it here in Bundy (rum country) and they didn't know what I was talking about, but if I know the name of the stuff should help me or even if someone knows where I can get it from would be much appreciated, and if I don't put any more posts on in the near future, all have a very very merry xmas, thankyou.

Braid or Copper tape.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I think you're referring to Magnabraid. If so, it used to be very expensive to get in Aus. I remember a few years back when Hornsby Slot Cars in Sydney updated the routed 1/32 track to use it and it had to be shipped in from the US. It may be cheaper nowdays with the current exchange rate but back then it was a few thousand Aus dollars I think for 8 lanes @ 110 feet because Charles had to buy in specific quantities.

Otherwise a cheaper alternative is copper security tape, the stuff used for windows etc for alarm systems. DSE and Tandy or a hardware shop should be able to help.

(schooners of Bundy & Coke anyone?)

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
THANKS FELLAS for your help, cause I've seen what I've been looking for in and on slot car tracks, on the big slot car pala tracks, and I think your posts will help me in finding what I'am looking for, thanks.
and I'll have a BUNDY for'ya 550rs

·
Brian Ferguson
3,652 Posts
Just FYI for all:

The US maker of magnetic braid is Magnatech. The Magnatech braid is available in 1/8", 3/16", and 1/4" widths. It is sold by the foot, with price breaks for certain size orders. Cost is higher than other types but not all that bad. For example, 1000 feet of 3/16" braid was (a few months ago) 28 cents per foot, or $280 (US). For 1/4", that 1000 feet would have been $0.32 per foot, or $320 (US).

The owner of Magnatech is Jim Honeycutt. He can be reached at '[email protected]' for inquiries.

I plan to use the 3/16" braid on my future track. I think the money is well spent to ensure that the track is capable of racing all forms of cars.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for your reply and your helpfull imput, all help is very much appreciated to to get all sorts of view on how to do things, thankyou,

1 - 7 of 7 Posts