SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A car that I had put to one side while ago was The BSB Fittipaldi Copersucar F5A.
I have not got a photograph of resin shell I started with but this is the photo in the BSB advertisement.

1 bsb-32-scale-copersucar-fittipaldi.jpg

The car/shell appears to be the version from the 1978 British Grand Prix. The F5A had more body/car changes than I had realised (again). Seems to be the F5A/2 for this race.
Emerson Fittipaldi at Paddock Hill 1978 British Grand Prix 1978
15 Emerson_Fittipaldi_-_Fittipaldi_F5A_heads_down_Paddock_Hill_at_the_1978_British_Grand_Prix.jpg

I had put it to one side due to the fact that I could not get the Penelope Pitlane chassis to fit to my satisfaction. The chassis was donated to my Tyrrell 006 and this shell was side lined, Policar chassis obtained and project re-started. Cockpit opened up to accept driver figure.

19 IMG_5760.jpg

As I had painted the shell during my previous efforts, I decided to leave the engine detail alone now and not fit the Policar engine detail etc.

I did re-work the rear wing and remove the exhausts from the shell previously.

I am still a fan of Penelope Pitlane chassis but I am really looking forward to using the Policar chassis with the Policar engine, gearbox parts on a build soon.

Attachments

·
Registered
562 Posts
Seguro que te quedara un bonito fórmula 1. Y como dices que le pondrás un motor de Policar (que esta muy bien acabado), te quedará un fantástico coche.

Surely you will have a nice Formula 1. And since you say you will put a Policar engine (which is very well finished), you will have a fantastic car.

Frederic

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited by Moderator)
Thank you all for the comments.

I had reconfigured the rear to more accurately represent the rear wing with the intention of fitting more realistic Exhausts.

I think these changes may have been the main reason I could not get the Penelope Pitlane chassis to fit but also the wheelbase seemed unusual.

35 IMG_5969.JPG

Good old Ultimatecarpage, oldracingcars.com etc. via google.
The wheelbase of the F5A is 4 inches longer than the F5, perhaps I had miscalculated that dimension.

I took this photo myself a few years ago at a historic meeting. It looks from photographs from 1978 that there were no brake ducts fitted at British Grand Prix (unless someone knows otherwise).
The hole/ports allow the suspension arms to be visible (on the real car) and I wanted to keep this feature.

39 SDC10348.JPG

Policar Chassis but not with the engine detail on this car as I felt I had gone too far to do major changes.

Some items made for detailing the car. Policar Driver body as it seems a good fit. A DNQ Driver head (thanks Simon).

40 IMG_5971.JPG

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,353 Posts
Looking good.
thumbsup.gif

Love the suspension details.

Looking forward to seeing the finished car...
thumbsup2.gif

Philip

·
Administrator
4,887 Posts
I took this photo myself a few years ago at a historic meeting. It looks from photographs from 1978 that there were no brake ducts fitted at British Grand Prix (unless someone knows otherwise).

The hole/ports allow the suspension arms to be visible (on the real car) and I wanted to keep this feature.
I took this photo during practice for the 1978 British Grand Prix.

fittipaldi78.jpg

I know it's one of my grainy specials but you can make out the brake duct on the near side front wheel.

David

Attachments

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks David,
the ducts May have increased in size for historic racing. This is the best evidence of the ducts I can see for the race. I will add something on the suspension.
I was there that day but I cannot find my grainy photos at the moment, your photo must be from the early laps?

Thanks again.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Si puedo hacerlo, a mí también me gusta poner los detalles que diferencian cada coche, de cada carrera.

If I can do it, I also like to put the details that differentiate each car, each race.

Frederic

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The photograph kindly shown by David Lawson in an earlier post looks like the F5A/2 (with High air intakes).

It looks like the F5A/2 was used during early practice and the F5A/3 was used for the race as there are photos of both cars that weekend. ---------Unless anyone knows otherwise.

From Youtube ( I had to watch the race again to be sure).
smile.png

F5A/3 has no high air intakes and was used for the race.

41 IMG_6696 s.jpg

Seat and Emerson installed. Not much room for the wires. Chassis ready for body.

45 IMG_6694.JPG

I have also fitted some brake discs (thin washers used) and brake callipers. Brass tube used for exhausts and mesh for grills.

80 IMG_6139.JPG

Brake ducts not in doubt so some made.

81 IMG_6692.JPG

Attachments

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Beautiful car👌

I have some Altaya Scx F1 cars, been thinking about use some of them in similar projects. So much to do and so little time hehehe.

Congrats mate!

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
A car that I had put to one side while ago was The BSB Fittipaldi Copersucar F5A.
I have not got a photograph of resin shell I started with but this is the photo in the BSB advertisement.

attachicon.gif
1 bsb-32-scale-copersucar-fittipaldi.jpg

The car/shell appears to be the version from the 1978 British Grand Prix. The F5A had more body/car changes than I had realised (again). Seems to be the F5A/2 for this race.
Emerson Fittipaldi at Paddock Hill 1978 British Grand Prix 1978
attachicon.gif
15 Emerson_Fittipaldi_-_Fittipaldi_F5A_heads_down_Paddock_Hill_at_the_1978_British_Grand_Prix.jpg

I had put it to one side due to the fact that I could not get the Penelope Pitlane chassis to fit to my satisfaction. The chassis was donated to my Tyrrell 006 and this shell was side lined, Policar chassis obtained and project re-started. Cockpit opened up to accept driver figure.

attachicon.gif
19 IMG_5760.jpg

As I had painted the shell during my previous efforts, I decided to leave the engine detail alone now and not fit the Policar engine detail etc.

I did re-work the rear wing and remove the exhausts from the shell previously.

I am still a fan of Penelope Pitlane chassis but I am really looking forward to using the Policar chassis with the Policar engine, gearbox parts on a build soon.
Hi, Love your build. I also have that BSB body and am intending to have a go at it soon. I have been in touch with Kevin Osbourne at Kevinoz decals and I think that he is going to have a go at making decals for that car if you're interested. Cheers, Charlie.

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the comments.
More rear suspension detail and decals added.

90 IMG_6699.JPG

View showing exhausts and chassis location to body.

100 IMG_6180.JPG

In answer to Andi's question regarding the lugs.

Can I ask why you've still got the pod outrigger screw points still attached while the chassis is only frontal?
Are you screwing the pod direct to the body?
Best wishes
Andi
Shell at rear (engine/gearbox area) is very thin due to me originally trying to fit the Penelope Pitlane chassis. I decided not to use the rear hole in the chassis for location to the body. The side lugs seemed logical. They are a very useful option and would use them on other shells if needed.

Hi, Love your build. I also have that BSB body and am intending to have a go at it soon. I have been in touch with Kevin Osbourne at Kevinoz decals and I think that he is going to have a go at making decals for that car if you're interested. Cheers, Charlie.
Thank you Charlie, please show your build when you do it.

Kevin's decals are excellent and it is good to know that he may be making some.

Decals are from Patto's. I have had the decals a long time and wondered if they had gone brittle.They still seemed very good.

550 180 IMG_6211 (2).JPG

570 180 IMG_6211 (3).JPG

The BSB body seems not to be available anymore which is a pity.
Hopefully someone will cast a new shell of the F5A as it is a great car in a striking livery.

A few more photos soon.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
223 Posts

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Nice build, dont remmember to ever see that car un the F1 Grids of the 80's(?).

Cheers

1 - 20 of 21 Posts