SlotForum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a new Scalextric Ford GT40 and the pickup pops off all the time under hard cornering. I inspected the part and it seems to look ok (no broken bits). Does anyone have a fix for this? Replace with a different pickup that is secured by a screw or somesuch? Thanks.

·
Circuit Owner
5,905 Posts
If it's a newer version GT40 with the removable cicular braid plate then the guide should be secured by a small screw on top - is this missing?

If it's the old push-in style guide then the lugs at the top that latch onto the top of the guide post holder may be damaged a new guide is probably needed.

Are you able to post a photo of the guide "popped out" (so we can see its shape) and of the guide in place viewed from above with the bodyshell removed? It would be easier to tell what is wrong if you could.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you MrMod.

It is the old style (not the circular braid-plate)

Cannot see the top of the pickup in place looking down on it with the body off as there is a piece fitting over it.

Photo attached.

·
David H
3,756 Posts
It's a common problem with that style of pick-up that affects not just the GT40. The chassis as designed doesn't allow a lot of space for the guide to rotate, so when a car slides sideways during cornering, the guide hits the chassis and often pops out as a result.

I've seen various remedies tried, most commonly a small screw and washer screwed into the top of the guide's post to stop it popping out. Unfortunately, keeping the guide in place with a screw means that the full shock-load of the guide hitting the chassis when sliding is transmitted into the chassis, often breaking the chassis, whereas the standard set-up allows the guide to pop out harmlessly.

It was a poor design by Scalextric and one that isn't easily remedied without junking the original guide and fitting a hardwired one instead, at the same time grinding away a portion of the chassis to allow the guide to rotate through a greater angle.

scalextric-c2940-ford-gt40-schlesinger-andruet-05-800.jpg

Attachments

·
David H
3,756 Posts
This is a modification I've used on a Scalex GT40. What's left of the chassis around the guide post looks fairly fragile, but this one has survived several seasons of racing without breaking, and I have lots more Scalextric cars, mostly NASCAR chassis, with similar mods that have survived heavy use.

2.jpg

1.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Thanks.I haven't tried Scaleauto but your solution looks very neat.
I use magnets and haven't experienced the problem with the guide popping out, but the standard Scalextric guides are not very deep, so I tend to get early de-slotting problems instead.

Before I learned (on this forum!) about not soldering the wires to the ferrules, I used to get a lot of problems with broken wires, which doesn't happen with the Scalextric design, of course, with the sliding contacts.

Mike

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
I modified a standard Scalextric guide to increase the blade depth from about 5mm to 7.5mm. The white is a bit of nylon pinned with dowels made from a paper clip and glued with superglue. This definitely helps the handling, but I may try David H's Scaleauto mod as a better alternative, given his good experience with it. (Sorry its out of focus - my camera's not brilliant at macro!)

Mike

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I came up with a workaround.

I took a round toothpick.

I cut off the very tip.

I then cut a small tapered section.

I inserted that into the pickup shaft slot to space and keep the slotted part from bending in.

It now has a good sturdy snap when inserted back into the car.

Now the pickup no longer pops off/out during hard corning.

·
Electric model car driver
1,389 Posts
Welcome aboard atomicmiata, I'm assuming that's a NA/Mk1 Miata/MX5 in your avatar. We have a mica blue Mk1 MX5 sitting in our garage waiting for summer.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts