SlotForum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Living the Life!
11,082 Posts
Sometimes the solenoid assembly needs to be reassembled and the components do not make it an easy task.

Wood Electrical wiring Gas Fixture Cable

The internal view of the mechanical components of an Cross-over Lane Changer (XLC) ....

Here is a simple method for fixing the solenoid pins to the actuator bar

Circuit component Wood Electrical wiring Cable Rectangle

Make sure that the pin is vertical when you tape it all down ...

You need to use a glue that doesn't set hard. GS-Hypo Cement if great for this as it dries with a springy consistency and can easily be removed if necessary ...

Attachments

Reactions: Ade

·
Living the Life!
11,082 Posts
Why guide blades in the SSD Lane Changer thread you may well ask?

Food Recipe Cookware and bakeware Ingredient Cooking

Wood Gas Automotive wheel system Household hardware Automotive tire

Rectangle Bumper Wood Gas Tints and shades

The one on the right is an undamaged guide ....

The cause of all of these damaged guides?

Tire Bicycle tire Automotive tire Plant Road surface

The arrows point to the rails where they were modified to minimise short-circuiting of the braids as the cars pass over. The edges are very jagged and require bending down as close to the plastic section as possible.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Would coating the blade in something like nail polish help?

I recently saw an add where they painted some fake fingernails with polish brand XYWhatever and then hit it with a hammer and there was no damage...

·
Living the Life!
11,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It might do but that would only be fixing a symptom not the cause; minimising the protrusions seems the best option.

Reactions: longdog and Ade

·
Prof I T
11,172 Posts
Hi

it can also be beneficial to file the guides, a nice leading edge to both the horizontal and perpendicular planes
wink.png

Whether you ask permission for the nail file is purely down to user discretion
thumbsup.gif

·
Living the Life!
11,082 Posts
An XLC turned up short while back. One of the lanes was not responding to change requests from the cars. The owner had had a good route around and nothing obvious seemed to be source of the lack of solenoid action.

It took a while to find the problem and it tuned out to be one that I've not seen before .....

Passive circuit component Circuit component Product Vehicle Hardware programmer

The component marked as TR4 is a power MOSFET, it had failed.

Attachments

·
Prof I T
11,172 Posts
Nice to see that in these ssd aplications the diodes ,resistors and capacitors are very reliable
thumbsup.gif
it's usually the mosfet that let's go
mellow.png

·
Living the Life!
11,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Indeed Ade ....... I rate the old Scalextric (C7042) as probably the best all-round digital system there is. The components you mention are so good that no one notices them or cares about them.

Reactions: Ade

·
Prof I T
11,172 Posts
The Yellow wire and black wire seem to have very dull solder connection's
question.gif

In particular the Yellow wire does appear to have some stray whiskers perilously close to D5..
yikes.gif
...but even if it does blow it's good to now genuine upgrades are at hand rather than just tweeks
dribble.gif

·
Premium Member
375 Posts
I have just purchased a secondhand XLC from eBay for £20 to replace one that went ‘on the blink’. Often both sides would completely fail to operate. I did the obvious checks and concluded (guessed) it may have been an intermittent power problem on the board. The changers would usually work after the system was shut down and powered up again. After almost five years of faffing around laying and relaying the ‘permanent’ layout I was just too lazy to see if the XLC could be repaired. No doubt one day I will be tempted to do a ‘hammer and tongs’ test / repair on the FETS ... however, I do promise not to go whining to Greg in the aftermath!

·
Living the Life!
11,082 Posts
Get your multi-meter out, set to Ohms and have a butcher's at the Diodes ...... these are marked FS1A, they should only conduct in one direction. Next up check the resistors, still on Ohms and check the values; eg 330 should read 33000 and 220 as 2200. Finally check the capacitors ... big silver things, such that they also only conduct in one direction.

Circuit component Passive circuit component Hardware programmer Electronic instrument Electronic engineering

Attachments

·
Premium Member
375 Posts
Thanks Greg. I should have had the patience to do what you have thoughtfully suggested to everyone. I am familiar with testing simple components - it’s when they have more than two legs that I start to panic! ;-)

·
Living the Life!
11,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Smile Watch Tie Dress shirt Gesture

You just need to remember that fixing a PCB is just like making love to a

beautiful woman ........ you need to get the diodes all pointing in the right

direction, test for resistance and evaluate capacitance ......

Attachments

·
Premium Member
375 Posts
attachicon.gif
swiss-toni.jpg

You just need to remember that fixing a PCB is just like making love to a
beautiful woman ........ you need to get the diodes all pointing in the right
direction, test for resistance and evaluate capacitance ......
Well, had they used metaphors like that when I was at Tech. College doing 'electronics' as a lad I'm sure I wouldn't have backed out after a few terms and moved over to become a photo tech. instead!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts