SlotForum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Allan Wakefield
5,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

This is my latest fluid of choice for varnishing and top coating.
It is not new to the hobby and many use it already.

But for those of you just breaking into the home build scene I present the floor polish that loves model cars.

You do not need to spray it, a clean and gentle brush is all thats required, do not lay it on too thick but also no need to skimp. It is self levelling so will (within reason!) not run.

I also use it to protect those cars that come out of the box with tampo prints on the top of the car - you know - the ones that rub off on your fingers.

Here are a couple of cars I used this stuff on - both brush finished with two coats. I painted direct over the body, glass, decals and light lenses.

Direct varnish onto factory finish and hand applied decals...

Direct varnish onto Tamiya spray and hand applied decals on an MRRC Ferrari..

Available freely in the UK at least and no more than a couple of squid for that bottle. BARGAIN!

PS: Thanks Tropi!

Enjoy!

·
Premium Member
2,998 Posts
Hi Swissracer
any equivalent in Switzerland?
I use to have a girlfriend (when I was living in New York City in the 80's) who was obsessed with Future-ing our (white) floor. I remember she would do it twice a week as it would streak in busy areas. It was nice in un-walked areas, though a little yellowish with many layers build up.
Let's say that you want something more proper and durable what would you use (that does not ruin decals)? (Something like Tamiya gloss?)
Thanks
Best regards
Edo
PS. Swissracer may I call you on your portable (you gave me the number when you came to Lugano). I have to talk to you about the SF Birthday Egg week end.

·
Allan Wakefield
5,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Edo,
Sure you can call me on the mobile !
Make it during the week.

I would say, after following the link to 'everything you wanted to know about future' in the first reply to this post, that this stuff IS proper to use.

I found it durable,user friendly, scratch resistant and paint/decal friendly - what more could you ask?

I don't know about here in Switzerland but I am getting some when I am next in the UK(or I may ask the guys attending the birthday bash to bring some). I have had much interest in it here from fellow slotters so I said I would get a few bottles.

·
Allan Wakefield
5,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I will try tonight Sean, but if memory serves I used to use this on myAir Cadet boots (lazy way to shine them
) years ago and ii cracked after awhile.
It will also make the tyres look very glossy. Maybe a matt additive could help.
Let you know.

·
Alan Tadd
4,030 Posts
No Guys it doesn't look very good on tyres, unless you want very high gloss finishes, and it tends to flak off.

Use the proper stuff from Grand Prix Models or other suppliers, Micro Satin.

Regards

Alan

·
Allan Wakefield
5,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
we want the URL for micro satin and we want it NOW!

You mean I CAN stop my hard to fit tyre decals from flaking off????

·
Premium Member
5,400 Posts
I've been using this stuff for a few years now and must say I've found it to be brilliant. If a ham-fisted fool like me can do a decent job with it so can you.

I now don't put a car trackside unless I've Kleared it first.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Hi,
I tried the German stuff (Erdal Glänzer) and used a new paintbrush.
The result was absolutely wrotten!! It looked like the surface had little airbubbles in it. But the bubbles formed after 30 seconds after applying the stuff.

I looked into a German slotforum and found the solution!!

I simply applied too much in the first step.

There was a description that said that the best way of applying the first thin (VERY THIN) layers should be done with those earsticks (my English is awful sorry for that), those little sticks you can clean your ears with.

And to get rid of the layer that looked so awful I should use alcohol (no beer, REAL stuff; like Strohrum....), the kind of alcohol that you get in a good pharmacie.

So I tried all those things: alcohol to clean the surface and remove the old layer of Erdal and I started applying the Erdal again with those earcleaning sticks AND:

THE RESULT IS BRILLIANT!!!!!!!!!

To all those of you that can read in German here is the link that helped me on:

http://www.src-wat.de/knowledgebase/lackie...sversiegeln.htm

I saved a lot of work and money!!!!!!!

Thanks also to swissracer to answer all of my whining emails,
Nico

http://www.grenzlandslot.com

1 - 14 of 14 Posts