SlotForum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Matt Tucker
3,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
We're racing fly classics in our club next week - my first time in this class. I was preparing a 512S (shortail) and I've concluded that I really hate the rear tyres on the 512s - last night I spent 50mins truing them down trying to get rid of the tread and reduce their diameter and I ended up so damn frustrated I over did it and melted the bloomin rubber!

The rules of the class state you must use fly classic tyres and I know the GT40 comes with much softer slick rubber tyres so I thought ah! My question:

Are the dimensions of the 512s rear axle the same as the fly gt40?

cheers
Matt

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
matt, go and melt the rest of the tyre making sure it's glued to the rim soak it in 3 in 1 oil for a bit and there will be a difference!

Rob.
p.s I think the '40 rear axle is too narrow anyway and will look crap

·
Allan Wakefield
5,857 Posts
No chance the tyres from the Ford will fit.
If you are racing non mag then don't bother trying to remove the tread, simply true a new set up lightly, chamfer the inner and outer edges slightly and let the racing do the rest.
Remember to free the chassis so it does not catch on the bodywork, loosen the screws or better still use the new brass Ninco ones and add approx 7grams weight just behind the front axle, as close to the guide as possible. Replacing the front tyres with Pink Kar or GOM low profiles is the final mod you need.

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Swiss is right. That is the set up I use for non mag on Ninco track. The 512 is outstanding and you should do well. If your rules allow you could use Pink kar skinnies on the front, but leave the tread on the rears and take the edges off.

·
Matt Tucker
3,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The rest of the car is nicley preped - had to use original front tyres which I sanded down succesfully and then nail polished them. Bit of weight up front (5g), shimmed the front and rear axle, tuned the motor, trimmed the edge of the body to aide flexing and used the screws off the Vanquish MG Racer (no thread in top part). I had already soaked rear tyres in wd40 but after the melting episode the rubber was just rubbish. Basically ordered another set of tyres to have another go!

cheers anyway
Matt

1 - 6 of 6 Posts