SlotForum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many people noticed the Fly A261 Saleen issued recently is NOT the A261 that has been promised by Fly for the past 18 months.

The original schedule showed the white/blue Le Mans car, not the black/blue car that (hardly) anyone has seen before.

Fly should respect the number of collectors of Le Mans cars who are again bitterly disappointed at the constant change in production. How long can Fly afford to keep ignoring the customers and making cars that are of very limited interest at a premium price, and not producing models they have advertised for production ?

Of course, the quoted price of the forthcoming E684 BMW (that has no reason to be a limited edition other than Fly want to try and make more money) has nothing to do with losing more interest in the brand.

Comments from others, especially Aaron at Gaugemaster, would be welcome about Fly's strategy..............

·
Registered
549 Posts
I checked with Fly on Friday about the change of model for the A261, and they informed me that they were forced to change to due to licensing difficulties with the sponsors on the Le Mans 2001 car.

QUOTE Fly should respect the number of collectors of Le Mans cars who are again bitterly disappointed at the constant change in production. How long can Fly afford to keep ignoring the customers and making cars that are of very limited interest at a premium price, and not producing models they have advertised for production ?
Constant change? Sorry, but this comment is unsubstantiated and an exaggeration.
Very Limited Interest? this Saleen model has already overtaken sales of many of the others yet has only been in the shops for two weeks.

However, I will admit that this is not the first time that Fly have changed the livery or the reference number of a particular model - having said that, they are not the only company to ever do it so the title to this thread is a little heavy handed. Fly were given the choice to cancel the number completely or use it for another model, and personally I think the Valencia Saleen is a great looking car, and I am not usually a Saleen fan.

QUOTE Of course, the quoted price of the forthcoming E684 BMW (that has no reason to be a limited edition other than Fly want to try and make more money) has nothing to do with losing more interest in the brand.

Sorry Gary, I don't follow this statement at all. There is no reason for any car to be a limited edition than the fact that the manufacturer wants it to be, so I do not understand what point you are trying to make. However, I am always happy to take any issues up with the manufacturers on his or anyone elses behalf.

Aaron

·
Premium Member
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hehehehe.....I saw you were there Aaron.....and I knew you wouldn't be able to resist a reply :)))))))

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Must admit, this new saleen livery is at least my second favourite of all the saleen standard liveries, only bettered for me by the spanish vodaphone red blue and white livery ( the matt black test car daytona 2002 one, and metallic blue street version special editions are rather nice too)

·
Simon Moss (Undisputed #1 Racer Fan)
553 Posts
Personally, I think the Saleen looks great in any livery. The shape of the car to me is on a par with the Mclaren F1 GTR and the Ferrari 550/575.

M

·
Registered
549 Posts
For those members who may not be sure what this thread is referring to, here is the car Fly originally announced as A261, Saleen Le Mans 2001 :

And here is the actual car released, the Saleen Valencia 2004:

Aaron

·
Registered
752 Posts
As a follower of the 2004 FIA GT and 2004 LMES series I am delighted that FLY have made the VitaPhone liveried Saleen. The 1:1 car has been driven with such style, the 1:32 car is almost a 'must have'.

The point at issue for me, is not that they have made this alternate livery, but that they have made it with the release number of a previously announced car. Personally I would have preferred the VitaPhone car had been issued its' own catalogue number, with the A261 designation being held open until such time that licensing (or other issues) had been resolved - A15 Venturi or A84 Viper anyone?

With reference to the 'limited edition' BMW.... It's FLY's choice to charge what they want..... and my choice not to buy it.... (in the UK at the very least....)

-Rob

·
Registered
1,426 Posts

Here is the Vitaphone livery again, this car will drive the 24h of spa this weekend!
I think its a superb car in those colors! I think Fly made a great model of it...
But... like rr3.9 says... they should have made this car under its own catalogue number... and they should have waited bringing out the Le Mans 2001 car...

Greetz

Gunther

·
Slot City
331 Posts
To be fair to Fly, this change was announced a while back.

If you look at the June flyer you will see the correct livery, as released.

Jon,
Slot City.

·
Premium Member
5,400 Posts
Hmmm, I remember seeing a shot of the intended livery and thinking, "Gee whizz, that's a dullard and no mistake." Or words to that effect.

I can understand those wanting to collect as many cars as possible from a grid being miffed (Le Mans 1995 is my dream grid) but have to agree that the chosen replacement is a much better looking option. Ain't going to buy it, don't care for the Saleen, but it is a more attractive livery, IMHO.

I still find it odd that manufacturers announce models before they have the licence all sorted out. I thought Scaley had had to change their plans to do the Audi TT, and wasn't there upset about the current Audi DTM A4 and SCX??

Perhaps I dreamt it all (no more cheese late at night!).

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
I'm quite disapointed to read that the Cranium Saleen won't be released. I don't understand the sponsor's point of view. Their aim is to be seen, right ? Sure, the livery has not been the best one seen on a Saleen, but still it was a Le Mans racer. Maybe Teamslot got the rights for it ?

Anyway, I would have bought the Vitaphone as well for sure and I cross my fingers that Fly will bring many other Saleens as well, not only the already announced ones but also others like the yellow Corona from the FIA championship, the white and red Vodafone from Le Mans, the Nash and RML cars seen in the FIA series or a black and white from Daytona.

There are few Saleens coming out and this can be said for Fly and Teamslot.

BTW, who noticed that the mirrors were of the wrong type ?

·
Registered
752 Posts
QUOTE BTW, who noticed that the mirrors were of the wrong type ?

I did... I am *THAT* sad

The later Saleens, generally 2003 and later, have 'gull wing' type mirrors mounted near the 'A' pillar, very similar to the mirrors fitted to the road going Saleens. The earlier mirrors are mounted on stalks above the front wheel arch, as FLY have modelled them.... There are actually two types of the 'stalk' mirrors too... but we're NOT going there

I will admit to having been musing about fitting the later correct type mirrors to the VitaPhone Saleen when I get it, together with the correct wheels

-Rob

·
René 'Vialli' Christensen
4,861 Posts
I did too - and I'm very sad to notice that the original A261 was a Le Mans car from 2001, but the car that FLY sent on the street is NOT a Le Mans car !!!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts