SlotForum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heard about these and thought they looked pretty cool.
Didn't intend on buying one, because I have no use for it... that was until I saw one...

It's like some kind of mystical creature that ensnares you into buying it. It looks absolutly FAB!
Can't sing it's praises enough, there is possibly more detailing than the 1:1 car! Fron the COMPLETELY full interior, to the awesome tampo work, to the little brake discs in the wheels... this is the best looking slot car that I have ever seen.

I really was astonished by amount of detail, which is shown by the fact that I went into my overdraft to buy it...

This picture (provided without permission from Guagemaster's site, hopefully they won't mind) simply does not do justice to this car. Put simply, if you do not have enough money to afford this car, do not go and look at one.

Quick review...

It's front engined, with a driveshaft to the back, which has been improved on since earlier models. Axels are good, with fairly straight wheels, but the tyres, though shiney, are crappy with no grip. The chassis is very detailed, with little exhaust bits stuck into grooves in the chassis, running the whole length of the car. The odd thing about this car, is that with all the detailing and full interior, it is one of the lightest cars that I own. Unfortunatly, this is due to an exceptionally light chassis, and the body makes up most of the weight, which raises the CoG.

Anyway, onto the track... No, wait... remove magnet, then on to the track...

Firstly, you notice that rear end grip is minimal due to the motor being placed at the front. This means that acceleration is down, but cornering is quite clean because there is not much weight to throw around, so the tail tends to stay in nicely. It's extremely quick in a straight line due to the little square Racing motor from the original Fly Racing cars. And I'm sure acceleration would be good too if you could get some power down. Surprisingly enough, it's not tippy at all. I really like it.

A few mods later and it's handling even better. I didn't want to go to town on the moddifying just yet, so I changed all the tyres and glued stuff in, that was it!
I put some low profile Proslot rubber on the back, and some Slot.It zero grip tyres on the front. I put a spot of glue either end of the motor and a bit on the bearing which holds the drive shaft. Driving was transformed. I could get grip to the back wheels so it accelerates well too, and still goes nicely round the bends. It was also significantly quieter too.

I really do love this car and cannot think of anything better for Fly to do over the next few months than to make a lightweight racing version with a mid-mounted NC2 shape engine.

Well done Fly!

McLaren

PS. Wait around for a bit, and you may get some more news about how to make it even faster...

·
Registered
325 Posts
It is a stunning model. Really is, I was tempted by the ETCC BMWs. But this looks superb.
ooo if i had the money

That Alfa and a Andy Priaulx BMW
Please!

·
Premium Member
5,688 Posts
Was going to post later just how superb this model looks, the photos do not do it justice. My fingers are crossed that it will run well on the Oxford bumps because it is race night tonight and I've been breaking the motor in gently today. Looking forward to giving it some trigger.

·
Registered
392 Posts
I agree : great model and great runner; I have only tried it with mag for now, and with great care also, because it'so well done, but I think it's one of the best looking slot dressed Alfas.

Ciao

·
Registered
68 Posts
QUOTE (PeteN @ 25 Aug 2004, 03:56)Oh no, it's the 1:1 that powers the wrong wheels, FWD is not for performance cars! JMHO
The car looks great, and thanks to Mclaren for his great review: sounds like it will run well too.

Buy a 1:1 version, drive it every day, and the idea that FWD and performance don't mix will soon disappear

regards

Ken

·
Premium Member
5,688 Posts
That's enough of the big Mr T sig, Inte!

I'll grant you the R34 look is suspect, didn't stop Audi from nicking it, but the R32 and R33 cars are sublime.

Not cool, indeed. Sheesh.

And... back on track, my 156 seemed a little sluggish on the plexy. I'll be trying to fettle it today.

·
Premium Member
5,688 Posts
I tried to drag it back, Muff. I tried.

Okay.

OFFICIAL WARNING - this is an Alfa 156 thread, let's keep it that way and take our discussions about Fwd, Rwd and how butt ugly they made the R34 elsewhere.

I'll move/delete anything else I find because my baby has been crying all night and I'm in a bad mood.

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
No harm done - topics often slide off sideways!

When they go too far off course for too long, but are interesting anyway, we try to split them off into their own little home as done here. So now we get two good ones for the price of one.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Back on track then!
Mmmm Alfa....

Thanks for a nice little review McLaren! I must say you've really made me tempted here, I absolutely love the looks of this one!
I'm still waiting for the hints on how to make it faster...
. I usually don't like front motored cars with sloppy stub axles, but with these god looks I'm willing to compromise
. I finally got to drive my Fly Oreca Viper last week and I must say I was a bit dissapointed, since I found it very prone to tipping (sans mag of course!). After a bit of lead down low and some wheight shavings on the top it got better, but still not fully happy. That sort of put me off buying this one, because it's even taller. Ah well, you said it wasn't prone to tipping...

...seriously tempted

Toby

1 - 17 of 17 Posts