SlotForum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking of getting a couple Fly Classics... any suggestions& why.
Thanks for Your Time.
Rick

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
In pairs:

Porsche 917K
Ferrari 512S
Very quick, light and fun to drive.

Lancia Beta
Ford Capri
Big, bulky and slidey. Also fun to drive.

McLaren

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
porsche 917 and ferrari 512S for me too - to me they are the best driving with magnets, and if you manage to track down some rare liveries, you can re-enact steve mcqueens 'lemans' film!

·
Alan Tadd
4,029 Posts
Lola T70
Porsche 917K
Ferrari 512

or

Porsche Flunder
Porsche 908

or

Chevrons

Regards

Alan

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
OHHH! Buy'em ALL!!

Seriously, I really like the coke bottle shape of the 908's! They are really pretty & run good too!! The Lola T-70's & Porsche 917's are also pretty!! The Chevrons are actually GB track, but these & the 917 spiders are really nice. I especially like the Gunston Chevron!

·
Registered
118 Posts
QUOTE (masmojo @ 15 Oct 2004, 03:34)OHHH! Buy'em ALL!!

Seriously, I really like the coke bottle shape of the 908's! They are really pretty & run good too!! The Lola T-70's & Porsche 917's are also pretty!! The Chevrons are actually GB track, but these & the 917 spiders are really nice. I especially like the Gunston Chevron!
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have about a dozen Fly cars my 2 best runners are the Gulf Ford GT and the L&M Porsche 917 CanAM car. The CanAm car is the most "connected" car I have. It has the stock Magnet in it and a little weight, NOBODY has ever lost that car on the track. I was really worried about the little mirrors on stalks, but they are still there. Wish they made other CanAm cars. I may try the new HSR McClarens to match it.

·
David Moss
461 Posts
QUOTE Lancia Beta
Ford Capri
Big, bulky and slidey. Also fun to drive.

OK, but I have a 4laner. So what would I add to these to get 4? McLaren, any more suggestions?

BacardiBeast

·
Matt Tucker
3,549 Posts
Agree with McLarens suggestions. If you want 4 of them go for 2 of each as there are lots of liveries around. You can pick up Lanica Betas for very reasonable prices if you go to swapmeets.

If you want a Ferrari 512 go for the short tail version ie 512S (ref c1-c5) but these are harder to find and normally a bit more expensive - if its for hard racing go for a second hand version.

All of them need some work to get them smooth

Matt

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hey, Thanks for the input. I would like to buy them all but my wife and checkbook say something else. I will credit my wife though, i can get an extra car once in a while as long as I buy her one. Her picks are determined by the livery. Well off to purchase my first one. Again thanks!
Rick

·
Nobby Berkshire
2,015 Posts
Ferrari 512 short-tail (NOT Coda Lunga with the bulbous hangover the rear wheels). Short-tails are no longer in production, though. The short-tail has more control and races more flat-out than the heavier, longer, Coda Lunga.

917Ks are fantastic, but have a VERY bad reputation for rear wheel rub as Fly never bothered to produce axles that fitted the car until their recent releases this year. They are slightly more unstable than the Ferrari 512 (short and CL versions) but are a good challenge and great fun to race.

Lola T70 is the outright brute of the bunch. It's big and it looks stunning on the track. Unfortunately, it tends to tip out too easily on some curves so a bit of added weight at the front axle (or a small Scalex 'Sport additional' dot mag glued behind the rear axle inside the chassis) will have it outstripping the 512s short-tail and Scalex GT40.

Fastest and most impressive peformer is the Fly GT40. Beats the heck out of all the others, but many of them are of patchy quality re. finish and tampo. If you have a shop nearby ONLY get one that you can inspect for good wheel clearance and finish before you buy. I've got one that is truly excellent and one that is a total nigntmare.

Chevrons and Porsche 908's don't appeal to me as they look a bit nasty in terms of Fly's design...but I've read in many places that both are totally impressive performers that rip around the track beter than any of the above (apart from the GT40!).

·
Peter Farrell
2,114 Posts
Chevrons without hesitation. I have a version of all of Fly's offerings. All of which have been glued and trued in all departments. Certainly for magnet running The Chevrons on my track are literally uncatchable.
Alfetta

1 - 18 of 18 Posts