SlotForum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
FLY Daytona Le Mans

Ferrari is arguably the world's greatest car company. No other single company arises so much passionate enthusiasm. It's also at the extreme end of the aspirational scale - almost anybody who loves cars at some point would have a desire to have one of the magnificent cars this company has produced since it's inception. Starting with the early models like the 166, virtually every Ferrari produced has been a classic. There have been a few blips on the screen, but if you look at any period in Ferrari's history it has produced some really magnificent road and racing cars.

My personal favourite would be a 250 GTB. I just absolutely adore the shape of this car. I also really like the 365 BB and the Ferrari Daytona. To my mind, the Ferrari Daytona was the last of the original great front engined V12 models. Every line on this car works brilliantly well. It was, in it's time, just about the fastest thing you could buy and anyone who saw one in the original Cannonball film - featuring a red Daytona Spyder - could not help but fall in love with the idea of having one.

The Daytona featured a 4390cc V12, producing 352 bhp at 7,500 rpm. The 4 in the model designation name (the 365GTB/4) stood for four camshafts - twin camshafts for each bank. The car weighed 1,280 kg and had a top speed of over 180 mph with a 0-60 time of just over six seconds. This car had a competition career, racing in the Le Mans 25 hour in 1973 amongst many other races.

The 1973 entrant is one of the models that FLY have chosen to make. The first thing I have to say about the review model (generously supplied by Pendle Slot Racing) is that the paint job on the sample car was absolutely without fault, having an excellent finish with no visible overspray on the masking and no visible orange peel. I was particularly impressed by the great way they had reproduced the colour scheme of the actual car. The tampo printing on the decals is really excellent, every one printed with crystal clarity. I really love the way that the bonnet scoops in the bonnet are reproduced.

Starting at the front of the car: the headlights are absolutely brilliant - I think that these are some of FLY's best headlights yet. In fact, all of the lights on the car are really well reproduced, including the Le Mans roof light. The front spoiler is well done and the overall level of body detail is really good, including white metal body catches, bonnet and boot straps, twin fuel caps, nicely done mirrors and windscreen wiper. However, the creamy white exhausts look cheap and plastic, damaging the tone of the model.

The interior of the car is absolutely brilliant, with a comprehensive roll cage, full driver figure, nicely painted helmet, seatbelts, etc - all the refinements you would expect from a really good FLY model.

I decided I would use a Ninco test track - the track that was used at the Brooklands Memorial meeting. The car performed brilliantly out of the box, exhibiting a really good turn of straight line speed and excellent cornering. I ran this car for a considerable number of laps without any sort of mechanical fault developing at all. I was initially concerned the large back tyres might rub on the wheel arches but the car ran perfectly.

As the laps proceeded so the back tyres started to true themselves in and even though initially I was concerned about damaging the bodywork on the car, it suffered several high speed rolls without any apparent damage. I think that part of the reason this car performs so well is that it's an ideal slot car shape for a sports car. The model is slightly too low and too wide, but it is these very features that enable it to perform so successfully on the track.

I really enjoyed my evening racing this model and when racing it against the Scalextric Corvette it had almost identical performance, both models having an almost identical rear track.

These models retail at around £40, being at the costly end of the mass produced slot car market. A beautifully detailed model with great performance.

RR

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
oilslick, there is already a 3 page topic all about this, I'm sure it would be appreciated over there and not here.

on another note, despite the other topic thanks for writing and publishing the review here, it's always appreciated and pics (we like pics)

Good review, no lap times etc love it!

can we have more like this? I enjoyed readin that

Rob.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Astro, If their is the interest I will write a personal view of of some of Mr Ferrari's creations. He was certainly a very interesting person, in a life both fuelled by passion and the need to succeed. A very driven man.
Personal tragedy played a part in his life too lossing both his brother and father in WW1 and of course his son.

RR.

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
Nice review, RR, and thank you.
I think one or two other people ought to thank you too, because they will no longer have to change their underpants every couple of hours while waiting for the non-existent hatchet job to arrive!

·
Registered
752 Posts
Cheers RR for sharing your thoughts on the model and it's running qualities. Myself and t'other Rob (Inte) took my FLY CSL and FLY Daytona for a little spin after formal racing had concluded last Monday evening. They both ran and handled very nicely indeed. The Daytona had a few prangs whilst I was 'driving' it with no damage whatsoever
I found the Daytona (and the CSL for that matter) a good race car, with neutral handling, and predictable controllable oversteer.

If you're prepared to shop around (HINT - checkout the SF advertisers!) the Daytona can be had at quite considerable savings over list price

Would I recommend one? Definitely

-Rob

·
Registered
60 Posts
QUOTE (Intergrali @ 8 Feb 2004, 01:02 AM)now a ferrari pub trivia quiz of 1 question..

what ferrari has no ferrari badges anywhere on it?

Rob.
Integrali,

that's an easy one. The 246 Dino because it was never officially released as a Ferrari. Just a lot of sad muppet owners adding the badges to them.

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
dammit ****** thought I was gonna win that one!!

yes nice cars.. mm oversteer AND I didnt do any damage to the 3 an half!
well I wasnt exactly going THAT fast but still..

talking of monday Rob your guide advice.. it took me 30 minutes to figure why it wasnt working and the front was miles in the air!! you should be shot!!

Rob.

·
Registered
420 Posts
This was a nice review I really appreciated it. I have one question though - could anyone make a small testrun without magnets? - or with 'limited' magnets? I would really appreciate to see the comments.

Interesting thing this - if the car is a reasonably good runner the compromise in its looks might be acceptable - only thing then would be the price. A few pounds down and it would be an interesting purchase to me at least - we do buy the Ninco cars don't we?

kind regards
//p

1 - 17 of 17 Posts