SlotForum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Scott Brownlee
4,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saw my first Fly Daytona on Saturday and couldn't resist buying it.

Took the magnet out straight away as usual and gave it a few laps on the very cold track in the garage. Based on that I'd say as it runs pretty much as you'd expect. Goes well, slides nicely, but has a good amount of natural grip. Not silently smooth, but not noisy either.

Put it this way, I stayed out as long as I could stand the cold doing lap after lap.

I'm not, sadly, very familiar with the shape of the real thing (although I did have the five door* version for a while) so it seemed a bit wide at first, almost Ninco-esque. However, I don't think it looks wrong.

Livery seems fine, again I haven't had time to find any reference shoots. One warning seems to be no clear coat. You'll notice that I've scratched through the white of the number roundel on the door already thanks to a relatively light off.

Had a similarly easy scratched roof on the BMW 320 ETCC car last week. Annoying, although I can only blame myself for crashing. Have to say I like the non-shiny finish - makes it seem more realistic.

Can't wait for the BMW CSL or more Daytona liveries.

Scott

·
Registered
263 Posts
On the issue of scratching a new car so easily, has anyone ever bothered to clear coar rhe cars themselves when they are new?

I've thought about even doing it on a few Fly cars that I've had for a while to protect them.....

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Hi Scott,

Looking superb, placed a preorder today.

I agree with your choice of other wish-list items, the second Ferrari is looking very nice and the CSL.

If you are attending Farnham, don't forget to bring it along.

Best regards,

Jamie.

P.S. Turismo - Good question, I also wondered about the possibility of clear coating RTR cars with the sole purpose to protect decals.

However, worried that the clear coat would make the car too shiny, or add a DIY look to a factory finished product... so never bothered.

Also, not sure what type of clear coat would be best for the above; presumably something with a satin finish?

·
Premium Member
5,679 Posts
I automatically give any new car that I want to protect as much as possible a couple of coats of Klear Floor Wax, discussed elsewhere on the board. I apply it, normally in a hurry, generally without much care and attention, by brush and as a rule get some bubbles or blemishes that make me wish I'd taken more time.

I do it without thinking. Which is probably where I am going wrong.

I don't think they look too shiney on it though. Probably more like the opposite.

Don't think I care for the look of the incredible floating seatbelts. A detail too far, perhaps.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts