SlotForum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
522 Posts
Swissracer,

Thanks for your detailed write up. I had seen a similar conversion on a German site, but not so well documented. I suspect that you might be able to retain the interior of some "flat pan" fly models with the use of a dremel. I was going to try converting a 908/3. Which is a fast and very sturdy car. The chip is actually quite narrow, probably 5mm or less, if you remove the bumpers.

It had been known for a while that "replacement chips" will be available as they are listed in dealer catalogs. I suspect, like you, that this is to avoid responsibilty for hacking up one's other models. In fact, I think the sclectric "conversion kit" will prove to be only for scalectric analog cars with a pre fitted wiring harness and that the procedure for converting other cars will not be covered.

I have carrera track which is great and was hopeful about Pro-X, but without braking, I cant take it seriously at this time. It works, the LCs work great, the ghostcars are workable, but lack of brakes makes it unusable for my racing. Carrera has reported that they have a solution for braking but that they cannot say when it will be available. This may as well be "second generation" and will probably entail a new power base.

Regarding the lack of responsiveness of the controller, it has identical feel to the analog carrera plunger. Its probably quite possible to dismantle the pro-x controller and fit in a pistol grip. At least the plunger response is linear. Also, an aftermarket supply can be used to increase voltage to cars. However I have not done this yet.

I regret that they do not have brakes. As soon as brakes are added, I will jump back into this technolgy.

Thanks again for sharing this information.

·
Registered
522 Posts
QUOTE (astro @ 19 Nov 2004, 12:47)Carrera's 'spin' on being the rolls royce of slot cars has totally been blown out of the water for me. They seem to have provided a just-adequate system - number of cars, lack of brakes, lack of included lap counter/timer (a vital accesory for analogue imho, and even more important in digital) and just-passable electronics and digital protocol.
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Every adult I know who races analog, has aftermarket power, controllers, and custom wiring to their tracks. Analog leaves the door open to do this because it is simple.

With digital, we are stuck with the functionality of the stock base unit, controllers, and now the programming of the system. Time will tell if the aftermarket can address any of these issues. However, the lack of brakes with carrera is an egregious faux pas. I wonder if any fundamental issues will be found with scalectric.

I hope this was only a first-pass attempt by carrera and that they intend to address this issue because the track system is superior (and because i own it. . .). But I suspect that this is really intended as a toy, yet their choice of classic Nascars suggests it is marketed to adults. I dont know any "younger" people who are interested in classic nascar.

·
Registered
522 Posts
QUOTE (Swissracer @ 22 Nov 2004, 18:31)There were /are non with the F1 set that I have seen.
However, without borders these barriers are next to useless when using open wheel cars are they simply ride up the barrier.
I LOVE the new Carrera barriers but they are not enough on their own when using F1 cars or similar.
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I forgot that Europe was given the open wheeled F1 cars. While I have borders on all my turns, the guardrail works with closed wheel cars.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts