SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Allan Wakefield
5,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hows that for hot news?...

Odd thing to produce for a company renowned for quality cars and little else but Mr Barrios and Company are producing Controllers it seems..

I wonder if they will see the light of day any time soon and wether they are NEW or made under license like the track in their truck race sets...

I also find it odd that they are resistor based, seems dated already and you not only need more than one Ohm rating but apparently you need another set of identical ones with Heat sink for racing

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
I wonder if they will issue these controllers in limited edition colour schemes - 1,000 only and never to be repeated again? Perhaps a nifty over-priced de luxe boxed set containing a 25 ohm and 60 ohm pair, with a nice empty space for the matching 45 ohm, none of which anyone will ever actually use, but only buy in order to sell for a profit on Ebay?

·
Registered
721 Posts
Come on Tropi lets not bash Fly over this one. It's not their fault the knob fell off the first time I used it.

They must be hearing things from their Spanish fans that's getting lost in the translation.

·
Registered
339 Posts
QUOTE (Tropi @ 29 Nov 2003, 07:26 PM)I wonder if they will issue these controllers in limited edition colour schemes - 1,000 only and never to be repeated again? Perhaps a nifty over-priced de luxe boxed set containing a 25 ohm and 60 ohm pair, with a nice empty space for the matching 45 ohm, none of which anyone will ever actually use, but only buy in order to sell for a profit on Ebay?

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
A thought provoking pic.
"What is this" could be non-functional decoration or a slot and a magnet to facilitate hanging the thing up after use. Or something more useful!
My attention is dragged to the top, that looks as though it might facilitate easy resistor changes without need to pull the beast apart and the silve circle could be a press button to release the top hatch. Guessing, of course!
Could be a full power "turbo boost" button, a brakes button or . . .
A lane change button for digital!

·
Jim Moyes
5,078 Posts
Perhaps it's just a lock button for the trigger, Fly's answer to Challenger!

Mr.M

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Stuff the controller, I want the luminous green Zakspeed!
Maybe I should get my 2.8i resprayed the same colour? Nah! She could probably get me in enough trouble with the rozzers without them being able to see me 3 miles away!

No doubt Fly's latest pricing policy will see me needing £40+ for the Capri and possibly £60 for the controller (each) ?

Mark.

·
Registered
549 Posts
The two controls on the picture are quite simple really - hardly rocket science. The silver control on the side of the professional controller adjusts the level of braking. The other rotary control on the back of both controllers adjusts the trigger spring tension.

As far as prices go, the standard controller is £24.95 rrp and the Professional is
£43.95 rrp. Ask your local dealer as the standard controller is now available, and the profesional will be available very soon.

Aaron Foord
Gaugemaster Controls
[email protected]

·
Registered
263 Posts
It was soooooo obvious that the silver dial was for brake adjustment, you guys were to busy bashing them to work it out. So many people whinge at fly (starting to piss me off), I reckon you'd whinge more if they didn't exist.
If you can't AFFORD it, don't buy it.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Hey Turismo.

QUOTE It was soooooo obvious that the silver dial was for brake adjustment

For the record, when I posted the pic it was the first I'd seen of this controller and I had no idea at all what the knobs and buttons were for. It also looks a bit Ninco-ish, so I was hoping our learned Euro colleagues could shed some light on this.

And they have.

I think most of us have reason to be wary of the quality of some products. I love the detail and performance of all my FLY cars but the incontrovertable fact is every one of them (a Lister Storm, 2 Ferrari 512's, Lola T70 and Porsche 917K) required a lot of work to get them to run as good as some other products run straight outta the box.

By way of a comparo, the Lister against an SCX Porsche (from the LeMans start set and with a Pro motor), the level of detail is pretty much on par (IMHO) but the Porsche wins on performance and, even with the motor upgrade, is still cheaper so it wins on value for money.

I don't see that as bashing. I just wish FLY would provide consistent quality for the price. To be fair though, there are worse things on the market!

Given current exchange rates, my rough calculations put the Fly Professional controller in the same range as the PM and Parma Turbo units. Parma and PM have set the benchmark for quality at that end of the market. It remains to be seen whether FLY can match (or better) it.

I remain sceptical.

Steve

1 - 20 of 31 Posts