SlotForum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Rob
3,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen quite a lot of stuff written about Fly trucks, usually something like 'they're fun but they fall off/ fall over/ de-slot a lot'. Which is an accurate description.
I am a definite fan of Fly's truck models (when I can afford them!) but they aren't without problems, so I thought I'd do this piece on some of the solutions I've used to try to tame my trucks' behaviour. I'm not claiming this is 'the ultimate tuning guide for trucks', but this is what worked for me.
Basic first. I would definitely recommend gluing the motor in place because it can pop out under acceleration.
First problem is at the front. The trucks all seem to de-slot very easily and it gets very disheartening watching my latest investment heading for the barriers again and again, but the answer here is quite straightforward.
The basic problem is that the front axle is set too low in the chassis, which means that the guide blade is not sitting fully into the slot. The spring arrangement on the guide itself helps to maintain electrical contact but it isn't strong enough to push the guide into the slot.
With a small file or knife, extend the front axle holes upward by 3-4mm. This lowers the front end, and the guide, and makes a remarkable difference. Don't extend the holes too far though, especially on the Mercedes model, or the tyres will foul the inside of the wheel arches. If you do go too far it's easy enough to make some small spacers to go on top of the body posts to lift the body clear again.
On the MAN truck there are two screws on the underside of the cab. On my truck there were plastic tabs by these screws which needed to be removed because they fouled the front axle.
The guide seems to sit quite high in the chassis. I shaped and glued a piece of 2mm thick plastic to the chassis, on the underside of the guide mount. This needs to be carefully trimmed so the guide doesn't catch on it.
If you want to really nail the front end down, add some weight in the nose, or glue a slim magnet to the underside of the chassis, just behind the guide itself. With these mod's made my trucks can handle even radius 1 curves with remarkable confidence.
One minor problem resulted from these changes - the trucks were running so much lower that part of the chassis was scraping the track! The 'socket' (the bit the clip attaches to, to hold the model in it's box) was touching the track and had to be trimmed.
The second problem I've found is gear ratios. The standard gearing seems to be a 10t pinion with 27t crown gear, which gives a high top speed but slow acceleration and poor braking. Braking is especially a problem because of the sheer weight of these beasts.
I fitted a Slot It 9tooth pinion gear and 28t crown gear and wow! Now the truck actually slows down when I ease off the trigger and acceleration has to be seen to be believed. The only problem I've had was in those hairpin bends, the truck kept spinning it's inside rear wheel - straight off the axle! Needless to say the rear wheels are now glued on. (I have also given one truck the pinion only, which works nearly as well.)
If you do decide to change the crown gear the axle will have to be replaced as well - Fly axles have a knurled section in the centre which the Slotit gear will not fit onto, so I use a shortened SlotIt axle. There isn't much room in the MAN chassis so you will probably need to move the magnet.
The final point is grip. Wheelspin and slides are very much part of these trucks repertoire, but it can be tamed a bit if you desire. It's quite easy to cut out the bottom of the magnet pocket and glue the magnet in place, either flush with the chassis or protruding through it. Another method I've tried is gluing a slim Proslot magnet below the standard one, which certainly gives a boost. Both trucks seem to benefit from having the body screws loosened slightly.
All in all these are great models, but they definitely need a bit of tweaking to get the best out of them. I hope this helps.

Rob

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Check out Race-Jan comments on trucks here:-

http://www.slotforum.com/forums/index.php?...=75&#entry21931

I like the trucks but I've only got the one at the moment - must stop buying bloody cars! Like you I've glued the motor and bearings in and fitted a slim bar mag behind the guide.
One thing to be aware of IMHO about the characteristics you mention - not a lot of brakes etc. Well the real thing takes some slowing down, and they can doughnut for fun too!

Mark.

·
Rob
3,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
One thing I forgot to mention - my track is Scaley Sport, so if you're running classic or any other track where the rail isn't flush with the surface, you may not need to lower the front so much. I'm not sure cos I haven't tried my trucks on any other track.

Rob

PS Thanx for the positive comments MK1, let us know how you get on?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts