SlotForum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can somebody shed some light on what the difference, if any, there is between the GBTrack models of certain cars and the Fly versions. I've just bought a Lancia Beta Montecarlo in Alitalia colours which actually has a GBTrack label inside but it doesn't look any different to a Fly version (different colour scheme excepted) a mate's got. So what gives?

While on the subject of Fly are the trucks any good? Obviously I realise that you need a pair to race them but are they any fun. What do they handle like etc.

cheers

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
The Fly trucks are great fun. They are fast but braking is harder as the model is heavy so just like the real thing they need a longer distance to slow up. I have raced them box standard and had a great time b

·
Registered
114 Posts
Fly and GB Track is the same; as i was told by my slot-dealer the firm Fly became to big (for spanish tax purposes B) ) and it was split into two labels.....

Cheers
Zubi
:cheers:

·
Registered
70 Posts
I believe FLY invented the GB-track brand for marketing purposes only. The said FLY models we're gonna have a higher quality standard than GB-track-models, so they asked more money for the FLY models and the GB-track models where on the pricinglevel of the old FLY models. Now they as a lot of money for both FLY and GB-track. Can you see the difference between a FLY model and a GB-track model??

Cheers,
Damduin

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
The trucks are great fun - detail and performance is impressive out of the box, but you may want to place another magnet just behind the guide to help stave off terminal understeer!

Mark.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
I have no idea about the tax issue, but GBTrack was indeed announced as less detailed cars than FLY. This was true in the beginning when the Porsche 917 PA came along and to some degree with the Chevron as well. The Porsches also had a very glossy finish. I think the reaction wasn't too good on those cars, especially as the price wasn't really lower, sometimes even higher than for Fly cars !
Later on, there wasn't much difference between GB Track and Fly cars, some being even available in the two ranges (Porsche GT1 evo). At present, GB Track is mainly used for the trucks.

·
Registered
714 Posts
I think Fly have managed to confuse both themselves and the market with the ambiguously named GB Track range.

I don't run trucks of my own, mainly because I don't know enough other truck owners to race against and they are not cheap either. But I have had the opportunity of a good thrash with one or two and was VERY impressed by their power and speed. The amazing performance was not expected! However, when they come off, their speed and weight tends to creat more damage than is comfortable, too.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Trucks are good runners and beautiful to watch, but heavy; a friend of mine used to mount solid hardwood tyres at the front , turned in a lathe and painted black, to prevent deslotting in sharp bends,
and it worked!
Ciao

·
Registered
549 Posts
Most of you are quite correct - the GB Track range was intended to be a slightly less detailed and therefore slightly less expensive version of Fly, and the cars they began the range with were cars that required less detail. Now, they have dropped the GB Track range of cars and the name only refers to the trucks, but stock still exists with the GB Track label in the car boxes. The trucks themselves are 1/36th scale as opposed to 1/32 scale, and race beautifully and are great fun. The range of liveries is quite vast, and if you want something really spectacular see the new limited edition release model E-Truck 22 at Gaugemaster/Fly
Aaron

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Ah, thanks for the info regarding scale, Aaron. That explains why a die-cast Scania tanker I have looks quite a lot bigger than my Steve Parrish Merc race truck. I mean, I suppose race trucks are smaller than their roadgoing counterparts, but not to such a degree.

Mark.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts