Slot Cars Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In my review of the recently-released Flyslot model of the Abarth Grande Punto S2000 the tampo error on the Vodafone model reviewed was really the only thing to criticise. It's such a lovely little thing to run that I'd be quite happy to overlook it, but I wanted to do a particular car.

In my year on the IRC a couple of seasons ago I came to really like Giandomenico Basso, the Abarth works driver. The Punto was by then outclassed by the Peugeot 207 and Skoda Fabia but he pressed on, and when the car was on asphalt he was mega. Giando's English is about as good as my Italian, and there was a great press conference on the Barum Czech Rally Zlin when the questions had to be translated from Czech to English to Italian - and then his answers went back in the opposite direction.

Of all the rallies on the IRC I think Madeira was the nicest surprise. Before the event I'd never even thought of going there for any reason, never mind motor sport. What a find! It's twisty, hilly asphalt but as smooth and grippy as a racetrack - Kris Meeke said it's the world's biggest kart track and that's as good a description as any. Basso won the event at a canter, so I put the livery from that event onto my Punto as a reminder that there is so much to enjoy in motor sport away from the usual suspects...

Here's the livery that the car came in:

Here's the one I wanted to do:

I couldn't shift the original tampo - or even dent the lacquer on it - even with a vat of nail polish remover. The plastic started melting a little on the inside, so I just put primer and paint over the standard finish without too many disasters resulting - not textbook stuff, but it worked.

Another saving grace was the fact that a very dark tinted film was applied to the rear windows, so I could legitimately use white decal paper for the driver names! Top cheating!

I found most of the logos that I needed, but couldn't make out what was on the lower part door, so put the 50th anniversary of the rally logo on instead. I retained the sun strip from the Vodafone livery because it's nicer - and as Madeira is a Portuguese island I felt I could get away with it! All that's missing now is silver on the boot and bonnet clips and the thin black border around the roof chequers (which was a nervous job to cut and fit).

Oh and the eagle-eyed will notice that the badges on the radiator and the boot lid are Abarth not Fiat!

I now have two very pretty Puntos - Giando's works car with the Fiat Spain-backed car of Miguel Fuster:

Now just waiting for Faro to produce its Skoda Fabia S2000 and, with the Avant Slot Peugeot, I'll have a nice little IRC collection. Oh, and for Tarn Model Foundry to add some summery rally fans to its impressive fleet of figures - as you can see, bobble hats and anoraks aren't all that rally fans wear!

·
Registered
173 Posts
QUOTE (driver#8 @ 17 Oct 2011, 22:47) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Thanks Kev,

Lacquering finished, tidied up the grilles and vents as best I can and put the Tricolore on the boot... I'm calling this one done.

Which is perfect timing because - look! - Santa arrived early this morning...

Excellent work there! And boy are you lucky to have Santa arrive early. Are you sure he wasn't on his way to mine, I've been looking for a 205 for ages..?

·
Premium Member
4,761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Phil,

Already started on the 205 as light relief while attempting to engineer a solution to the AutoArt 206. Actually I think that's a good idea as if I was concentrating 100% on the 205 I'd be even more nervous of working on such a rare old kit.

Sadly Flyslot seems to have dropped the 205 from its future releases, so this 'imperfect-but-better-than-Spirit' version will have to pass muster until someone comes to rescue us Pug fans!

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
QUOTE (driver#8 @ 23 Oct 2011, 23:18) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>The world needs more Top Slot 205s Pete - did you keep the NC-1 or fit a Team Slot motor?

Here's mine...

Looks very nice. Mine has the NC-1 now, but I think I may install something a little stronger? I was initially worried about the strength of the resin body, but they are quite robust. I also have AWD with the Ninco pulleys.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts