SlotForum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After the initial releases of both the Scalextric and Fly GT40's I've been a little disappointed with amount of new liveries of Henry's best loved sports car.
So I started looking through archives to see if there was anything I could do about increasing my collection of my namesake!
I came across pictures of the Essex Wire cars at the 1966 Daytona race, one of the cars, apart from the wheels looked the same as it did at that years Le Mans (Fly A184).

The other seemed a bit different and became the basis of this project. This required the removal of some of the tampo printing, which to be honest if it went wrong would have ruin the whole thing. What I needed was a way of removing one of the triangular anti-glare panels and the numbers from within the roundels.
I first thought of a rubbing compound but might have taken off the roundels as well, when I started to scratch off the numbers with my thumb nails, yes it worked within minutes I had lost nearside glare panel and the numbers had gone leaving just the roundels.

Now as you can see I had completely disassembled the car and fitted the correct Halibrand type wheels that this team used early on that season. Then I moved on to the painting, this required masking of the drivers wing and the centre stripe. I used household selotape for this and then covered the rest of the body with masking tape.
Grabbing a can of automotive satin black spray, I held my breath and shot the colour onto the unmasked area. After adding the correct race numbers this is what I ended up with.

A subtle before and after shot,

And picture of 92 on the infield at Daytona, 1966.

GT

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
great job

i am hoping scalextric are going to do the ford france livery - white with thin blue and red stripes. Unfortunately, the white GT40 that they do has the wrong bonnet, so the other alternative is to start with one of these... hmmm

·
Premium Member
4,213 Posts
Hi Astro

Scalextric (Hornby) released both their versions of the GT40 in white.

Mark one and Mark 2.

Ref C2472 -Plain white GT40
Ref C2473 - Plain white GT40 MK11

Bit trick to find either now, but worth an ask from your normal supplier.

Gareth

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Jexy - none of the white versions have the 2-seperate vents bonnet of the #60 privateer or the french version

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah your right Astro, as far as I know the only scalex one to have the twin vents is C2578A seen on the right of this picture (I dont think anyone would want to repaint one of those!). All the others had the spare wheelcover on the left.

By the way for those of you would like know, the spare wheel cover on the Fly version is a clip in fit meaning there could be various other conversions possible.

GT

1 - 6 of 6 Posts