SlotForum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I think I've looked through most of the the various postings on the Fly GT40 chassis saga. Other than getting the Dremel out and grinding away, what suggestions does anyone have for fixing the Fly GT40 #9/#10/#11 binding front wheel problem. Does the new chassis (Tergal) solve the problem ?. Are Fly issuing new Chassis's for problems cars ?. Should I just send it back to Fly and let them fix the problem ?

cheers
Andy

·
Registered
549 Posts
It seems you have not read that many of the postings Andy, or you will have found that if you send me your name and address I will send you a replacement chassis free of charge, curtesy of Fly.

They are aware there was a problem with the first releases of the chassis, and so I have posted in a number of threads that if you need new ones, let me know. It's as simple as that! So in answer to your questions, yes Fly are supplying new chassis and if you want to send it back to Fly you can but it is a bit pointless since they already know the problem.

bwaminispeed, although I do understand what you are getting at there is little point in doing that. Why not just contact your supplier or distributor? A lot less hassle and you will probably get a quicker response and result. Still, I look forward to hearing from you as to what results you have had when you have sent your problems back to Fly - I am presuming you practise what you preach?

Look forward to hearing from you Andy

Aaron

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Aaron, I thought I had checked most of the postings
. The one I had spotted from you, I assumed it was special one-off. Naively, I assumed that if there was a replacement option, the GT40 Review from Swiss Racer would have made reference to it, rather than only the drastic Dremel method. Swissracer/Nuro, how about adding a comment in your review to this effect for the search-engine challenged like me .

Anyway, thank you for the kind offer Aaron/GaugeMaster/Fly
. Once I receive them I will let you know if the problem is cured.

cheers
Andy

·
Registered
549 Posts
Good point - any chance Swissracer and Nuro? After all, it is worth mentioning in the review that although a fault was found that Fly have admitted that it exists and are prepared to do something about it.

Aaron

·
Senior Slot Car Mechanic
2,230 Posts
QUOTE Still, I look forward to hearing from you as to what results you have had when you have sent your problems back to Fly - I am presuming you practise what you preach?
1.I buy very few ready to run cars.
2.I almost allways change the wheels(I have a few)axles etc,even before I run them.
3.FOR ME,it is much quicker and easier to fix/repair/modify problem cars,than to package them up and put them in the Post.This is not the same for the vast majority of RTR purchasers(and,I'm sure even you would agree with me on that point),some of whom,even getting the body off and back on can be quite a challange.

4.Taking something back to the dealer/distributor may or may not solve the customers imediate problem,but because of the way the Manufacture/Dealer/Distributor scheme works,returns(and the specific problems related to these returns)rarely get back to the Manufacturer.Distributors are generally allowed a %$ for returns in all of thier orders,and all returns go into a Slush Pile.Some companies will eventually root through,and piece together as many saleable units as they can,but,for the most part,this isn't done.Most of the stuff usually ends up as Garbage in your local Tip.

Because of this system,Manufacturers rarely hear about,or have to deal with any problems.

That is why,I feel that for the average Joe All Thumbs,sending defective(especially when it is of endemic proportions to a particular Model/Product)product back directly to the manufacturer may be a better wake up call to that manufacturer.

Anybody that has ANY problems at all with any of my products,is actually encouraged to send it back to me personally,and I will look after it myself.Only had one problem in 2 and a half years so far.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
QUOTE (bwaminispeed @ 25 Feb 2004, 04:02 PM)Most of the stuff usually ends up as Garbage in your local Tip.
WHERE? WHO? Now if we had prior knowledge of inventory being thrown out then I for one would be diving into that rubbish skip!
If most of the slot car turns up for free, then I'll tinker with it

Mark.

·
Registered
549 Posts
QUOTE Distributors are generally allowed a %$ for returns in all of thier orders
WRONG!!!!!! Gaugemaster Controls buy all their stock, whether it ends up sold to a happy customer or in a skip to be re-assembled into a running wreck for racing.

QUOTE Manufacturers rarely hear about,or have to deal with any problems.
CORRECT!! Especially if the products concerned are bought via the chain stores or your local supermarket or from Mr Miscellaneous at the local 'Ackrington Stanley Slot Car Swapmeet and Knitting Pattern Collectors Fair'

I see many of the forum members posting faults with their models, but none who I have challenged admit to actually doing anything about it as far as complaining to their dealer or writing to the manufacturer. Why? If I bought something and it was faulty then I would want it put right! This means that when I go to the manufacturer and say there has been a problem with something their only answer can be that they know nothing about it! So either you are all complacent and prepared to accept poor quality or all exaggerating the problems and I doubt it is the second option. The problem is not with the system, it is with the purchasers! See what I am getting at?

So, you buy your model slot car. What if the rear wheels fall off after a week of use? The retailers are then in a difficult position, and that is one of the reasons that I have started posting on the forum. If a problem occurs like the last one above, then the dealer will normally (I hope) contact me, and we can usually sort something out. This only adds fuel to the fire that buying from a UK recognised dealer is always worth any premium you may find yourself paying, because they will be there for you if you get a problem. The recent problems with the GT40 Chassis would have been a nightmare for them, as all they could rightfully say would be that the model was as it was and there was nothing they could do. Thats where I come in at Gaugemaster.

I am currently sending out Ferrari discs and GT40 chassis like they were going out of fashion - not just to UK customers but Europe and the USA as well. I have been in contact only today with Fly about front wheels falling off BMW CSLs and they are investigating it now, and I have more questions and investigations in progress.

The bottom line is that by all working together and with a little understanding of how the chain works, we can make things better for you. Until they are perfect, be kind to your retailers and support them, and if you don't get any joy them you can always contact me direct. I cannot always guarantee you an instant answer, and I cannot always guarantee to be able to solve your problem, but together the retailers and I will do all we can.

Aaron

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
We are getting there, every day It`s getting better and we are all rowing in the same direction
Your positive effect and assistance since you signed up has been top notch Aaron

·
Registered
420 Posts
ok - I agree with jonny that it seems to be a very good initiative taken by aaron. But I would like to say that I have contacted some manufacturers - those that I have contacted have never actually responded to my queries directly - when someone has responded they have failed to adress the issues I made and just sent me promotion material or 'we will look into it'. Now I can tell you that still two years later the following models are exactly the same.... looking into things is a tedious task for some... obviously.

What I mean with this is that it seems to me that companies like you have a much bigger influence on the manufacturer than I have as a customer. The reason being that I as a customer seem to become 'one odd individual' and therefore not taken seriously enough. While companies like yours can show a manufacturer a number of complaints from a larger number of customers and therefore the influence would be greater.

One company even suggested in an email to me that 'since I live in the UK' their european offers where not valid - yes I did very quickly remind them of that even thought UK is an island it is one of the founding members of the EU... They eventually gave in on that particular issue (but they charged extra for the 'benefit'.

//peter

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
GC -posted a similar thing elsewhere, but seems more appropriate here; the heart of it was -

one reason cars do not get returned after a week is that by that time they have been tuned, sanded, maybe dremmilled and glued, and we feel we would be laughed at returning such a car. The old 'if you tamper with it, you void your warrantee' sort of clause comes to mind, which in some industries applies even if what you have done has nothing to do with the actual fault.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Aaron...As i have already said...I really do appreciate your efforts. Being in the UK and myself in the US, there really is not a reason for you to do all this...but I do understand what you mean and what you have done so far may just keep me reconsidering Fly products in the near future.

Something to consider here is what I posted on the thread about the BMW CSL...

"As many are seeing here in the US, many dealers are now putting disclaimers on their websites stating unless you request the cars be completely checked out (at additional cost in some cases), either no return or a huge restocking fee WILL be assessed. You can say..."don't buy from them" but if you are a first time buyer from that dealer and glaze over a sight with out reading the fine (and in some cases I DO mean fine) print, you're screwed, blued and tatooed!

When you buy from a dealer, most manufactures require you go back through your dealer before going to them. So when you buy a particular companies product from a dealer and the dealer refuses you, you only have one option to go through the manufacture. Not so easy when you are dealing with companies that are overseas from the US then add to it that your emails get lost in the great data transfer and no reply is ever received"

The consumers and dealers here do not want the hassle of having to go back through Scalextric-USA to get to FLY. sometimes it is easier (at least in one's own mind) to either shelf the car of attempt to fix it themselves. neither of which should have to happen on a consistent basis.

This type of thing is seen in diecast as well and most frustrating. Beleive me...anyone about to consider dealing with Exoto and their new slot car ventures will soon find out. They do not recognize returns for ANY reason, whether damaged, dealer orders mis-fulfilled or any other number of reasons. At least it is that way with their diecast and almost all the diecast dealer network has given up on them. I only hope tht it will not be that way for the Slot car Dealers.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts