SlotForum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Don't think pics of the Tergal version have been available, well not to this quality. Revised chassis on this one and we think it looks the business. Enjoy.

GetSlotted

·
Scott Brownlee
4,275 Posts
Have to say that lower front light cover looks a bit delicate, but it does look good overall.

Scott

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
It looks GREAT!
Scott has a point - one would be tempted to do some duct taping before racing!
Anyone seen the silly little contre temps at SCI over these pics?

·
Jim Moyes
5,002 Posts
Does the revised chassis mean that the two rear screws now actually thread into the body instead of the interior tub.

My supplier had two of the Gulf cars left and let me take them both away to see if I could rectify the fact that on both of them the chassis was hanging down at the rear which seemed to be contributing to the fact that the rear wheels didn't sit centrally in the arch. I took them apart and couldn't believe the design department at Fly had OK'd the setup. Tightening the rear screws has to be pulling the interior unit down away from the bodyshell off of its small plastic heat welded pegs. There were some other areas that seemed like they had been hacked prior to assembly for clearance purposes.

Needless to say, I took them both back to the shop and said I would wait to see if the problem was sorted on future releases.

Just had an after thought! Perhaps the Fly design department now resides at Spirit or Vanquish! That might actually explain some of the delay in this car coming to the market.

Incidentally I do think that the Fly car looks "right" somehow, bodywise.

Mr.M

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
It looks like the lower lights are the same as on the gulf gt40s by fly. These are pretty well secured because the circular 'lamp' behind the cover is actually part of the same bit of plastic, and is a long post, welded inside the car, but you could add glue. Problem is they haven't trimmed the shape of the cover very well, so it doesn't fit snugly into place, and looks wonky and loose.

·
Allan Wakefield
5,857 Posts
Mr M - I came to the conclusion that the chassis on the Gulf liveries is supposed to be angled. The rear of the chassis actually flexes that way and aides handling. I don't know yet whether the Tergal Livery has changed in that way but I DO know that my Gulf '9' is already on the possible banned list after only two weeks and many broken track tecords.

Astro - I looked at the light set up with a view to adding you know what. I will tell you all now - I think this one has me beat! there is absolutely no room under that body !

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
errr well, I just about managed it with the permanent kit with integrated brake lights... probably room for the non permanent kit assuming it is the same but without the capacitors.

It was my first lighting project, so i learnt a lot...

set up the lights shining through the clear plastic, rather than having the led's exposed behind the covers, had to add a spacer or 2 so the capacacitors (circuit board under the bonnet) didn't rub on the front axel.

Results: because the led's are shining through the clear plastic, they are not very bright. I left just a shim of the rear red lights, but you can only just see a faint glow of red at the back, but it looks ok. Am very dissappointed with the integrated brake set on the permanent kit, because you have to run the car flat out for a couple of minutes for it to work properly, normal running just doesn't make a difference.

Oh, and the added weight above the centre of gravity means this car runs worse than before.

Still it was fun

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hello All,

To note on the difference between the Gulf GT 40 from Fly and the Tergal.
The chassis has been strengthened and the spur gear moved outboard of the rear axle bearing. Also the motor is moved to a more central position, this should help especially with non magnet racing.
The body undertray still has the two rear chassis screw mounting posts so no change there, the chassis still deflects down towards the rear most of this caused by the undertray pushing down on the motor.
Fly have also addressed an issue we found in testing the spur gear contacts the undertray and they have reshaped this area to clear the gear. This happened on hard acceleration and deceleration causing a horrible grinding noise.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Alan Smith

·
Registered
714 Posts
I love the look of that car and may have to think about getting one.
I'd just like to add that this interchange of information between boards is excellent - it has to be good for everyone with an interest in slot cars.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts