SlotForum banner

Fly GT40

5K views 24 replies 15 participants last post by  AndyS_99 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)

Thanks to Matt Tucker for this news! Thanks to Caro at S P Hobbies for the photos.

S P Hobbies, Malaga, Spain, are advertising the Gulf GT40s as "In Stock" as of yesterday.

SPHobbies

Sorry, Fly, I just can't seem to get get excited . . .

See less See more
#5 ·
argh! urgh! ahhh sorry just woken up, found a way to send myself to sleep and stay asleep!

er have to say though the Fly looks much better and much more real than scaley's efforts for some reason. might just get one to see actually.. mind you it'll only go to the top of the nearest box stack once driven.. yes I know.. I need to sort my models because I cannot move in my room! cant even get to my blind to open it now..

Rob.

#7 ·
I look forward in seeing the first reviews of this "elusive" release.

I know that some have picked the Scaley offering to death...but I still liked it.

Come on Swiss and Nuro...get to reporting
We are watching you over here for the "Semi-Live" coverage of this International Event.

#8 ·
Hmmm, well of course I'm biased; disliking, though warming to, Scalextric and loving Fly.

But this does look wider. Meaner on the rear haunches as well. I don't know if any of that is true to scale or not, but the impression looks good.

And they've painted the insides of the headlights black! Man, how that annoys me on my Ninco McLaren F1s! And on the Scaley '40 you just have those silly white squares staring back at you from the Gulf blue internals. Much better job on this offering.

Got the pilot with the normal size head and sporting an accurate face scarf at the wheel too.

Oh man. Who posted these pictures. Shame on you. I wasn't going to be tempted before the Tergal livery... now my mind is waivering...

I must be strong....

#12 ·
The fly Gt-40 looks great to me! There will be one here to set next to the Scaly one and see what looks better in the flesh so to speak. Of course both will get a new brass chassis/wire under them eventually, so that does not matter.

#17 · (Edited by Moderator)
Well, digital camera problems or no digital camera problems those are the 1:1 GT40 cars in the backdrop and both the backdrop and the Fly version appear in the same photograph.

The proportions on the Scaley version look right to me when you hold one up to the picture.

The Fly version looks a bit thin lipped at the front, which gives it the impression of being wider. These are my observations from the photograph but please feel free to make up your own mind.

I am absolutely confident that whatever is said here about the Fly GT40 will not affect sales whatsoever.

The Scaley proportions are accurate to within a mm in length and width, and the height is an accurate 1 1/4 inches. Compare the Scaley one with this image taken from Fly's own bulletin. You can hold the Scaley one right up in front of the picture at the angle of the picture. It makes for a very interesting comparison. Would anybody like to argue that Scaley have got it wrong?

Lets see how the Fly model compares under similar scrutiny:-

One area to look at is the headlamp size. And some of the Scaley Gt40's do have black headlamps, but not all of them, depending on the prototype.

Moped

#18 ·
So I held up my Scaley to the picture, Mope, and bugger me if the rear screen didn't fall out! Can't have glued it in properly the last time the darn repeat offender fell out.

Tropi is right (again, sheesh). The only way to compare the two models is in the flesh. Pontificating from entrenched positions won't get us closer to the truth. And the reality will be that some folk will prefer this detail on that one and that detail on t'other.

Each to his own.

The way they have handled the headlights is really swinging it for me.

#19 ·
Hi Guys

I held up my Scaelextric GT40 to the photo and it appears a little narrow in the headlights. Also the 1:1 photo appears to have more meat around the rear wheel arches. Apart from the odd grille or rear window falling out though I cannot fault the scaley version. It drives well and is very cheap compared to Fly cars. The detail is very good and is really only missing the blacked out lights. The Fly GT40 looks the goods but I will probably stick to Scaelextric for the value and reliability.

Vince

#20 · (Edited by Moderator)
QUOTE he detail is very good and is really only missing the blacked out lights.

I would also like to add the wheels on the Fly model look better, not too much blinky chrome. They appear like the sort of thing BWA would produce, very impressive.

Either way, the Scalextric one, although a tad fragile is still superb & great value for money. Also obtaining one is easily done, you can go into virtually any shop/site and reassuringly pay the same price - it's just a pity the same cant be said for some Fly cars.

Also Fly met their deadline *hoorah* just not available worldwide..

Can't wait till they release the first non ltd/boxed set cars, want to try one asap.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.