SlotForum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fly have indeed kept their promise to me that they were doing something about rear axle slop in the classic cars, the first one being the Porsche 917. As you can see from the picture below, the general appearence has not changed...

but on removal of the body, you can see that the gap between the rear wheel and axle gear has increased, and also it now has brass bearings.

The most significant change though is in the rear wheelbase measurement. I have not taken a pair of micrometers to this, just measured with a decent steel rule, but the distance from outer tyre edge to outer tyre edge on the old chassis is 60mm...

and on the new one it is 57.5mm, and there is no sideways movement at all in the rear axle!

Well done Fly for listening.

Aaron

·
Registered
114 Posts
Hi Aaron,

Great news, do you know if these new rear-axles are available separately as spare-parts (which ref-number ?) and will they be available also for other Classic Cars (Ferrari 512) ?

Thank you
Zubi
Greetings from Luxembourg !!

·
Alan Tadd
4,035 Posts
Good News Aaron, and congratulations!...They do listen to you.

The reduction is track is welcomed as it will prevent the wheels rubbing on the arches.

Can I put away my spacers now?.

Regards

Alan

·
Simon Moss (Undisputed #1 Racer Fan)
553 Posts
Although one should never assume, but I assume the first car to have this new chassis will be the C89 Silver Martini #4 car, which is due for release in August.

Another assumption is that the spare chassis will follow ??

M

·
Registered
549 Posts
@zubi - yes, they will be available, I am just waiting for prices and a delivery date.

@beejay - you will not need the spacers any more

@mossman - correct - the C89 has just arrived here and will be with dealers in a few days

@Ecurie - new models; they will not re-release old models

@plasticar - yes they will, as the chassis itself has not changed, just the bearings and axle. There are a few due for release, see seperate thread in the 'News' section for Fly listings.

Aaron

·
Brian Ferguson
3,652 Posts
Scott... you are a sick man!

....sorry, wife was watching while I typed...

Aaron...
Nice to see that a product can be improved by feedback. Not always the case, so another
to Fly for listening!

·
Registered
111 Posts
I saw the post on new Fly models. It just seemed a little dumb to re-do the chassis for one more release. I hope that means some more are in the works. There are still plenty of Lola T70 liveries to go also. Many of the cars in that era had different liveries at each race.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
@plasticar - not just one more release, as there are two more scheduled in November (for full listings see seperate thread here) and I am sure we will see more. However, even if it was just for one model I am sure it is appreciated by the racers of the Porsche 917s, so not 'dumb' at all.

Other models due for this chassis/rear axle update I listed previously on another thread here

Aaron

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
1 livery from Fly is probably between 2000 and 20,000 cars. Well worth a new chassis, though as aaron says, there are more liveries planned.

·
Jim Moyes
5,045 Posts
Can I just clear something up here as there seems to be conflicting reports. Is this a new chassis or just a new rear axle?

Mr.M

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Same sized chassis, new bearings and rear axle assembly. I have to admit to not checking the size of the bearing mounts in the new car compared with the old car, I will do that later.

Aaron

1 - 17 of 17 Posts