SlotForum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

Can anyone recommend a replacement tyre that would fit a Fly March F1 car.

These cars look great but out of the box running, on mine atleast, was poor and I'm hoping changing the rear
tyres will help improve things.

Thanks

Dodge

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
paul g in canada does direct relacement urethane tyres for this model, if its got a magnet throw it away because these tyres are that good. your first port of call should be wayne off this forum. if he does the sizes they come in 3 grades super soft to medium soft, pm him cause he,s really helpfull and their cheap.john.

·
Premium Member
2,709 Posts
When I bought my March from Electric Dreams they also offered urethane tyres so I had them added to the order. I haven't tried either yet as my track is under construction but it is another source for you.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
It IS possible to impprove the original tyres.

Firstly, I put them onto some SLot.it F1 hubs, - needed ally hubs for my tyre truer. Tnen I turned them down so the contact surface was full width, because out of the box they are bulbous.
Once they were flat, they had SOME grip, but not a lot. Then I used WD40 liberally for several days to soften them.
That got them to usable.

Method two, toss them, buy some Paul Gage XPG urethanes, repeat truing step above because Paul appears to have moulded difectly off the originalas and they are bulbous. . . much better grip.

Method three - get some NSR 21 x 14 ultra-grips, use some wedgees to help make them fit the should better, and turn them down to the correct diameter.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Hi Dodge,

1970's F1 is a favourite class of mine and the Fly cars (March, lotus & Williams) are simply beautiful. Let's hope Fly make some more from the era.

Running magless with standard fly tyres tends to give no grip unless you have an abrasive track surface such as Ferrodore (personally I don't like such surfaces as crashes tend to damage car liveries). I run Ortman tyres on mine and this works well for both plastic scalextric track and painted wooden tracks.

Electric dreams should be able to let you know which Ortman tyre you'll need.

Cheers,

1 - 5 of 5 Posts