SlotForum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Hellow guys... I'm in trouble again!!!

A few months ago I bought a Fly Marcos (Belcar livery) in Tenerife...
I brought the car home (to Belgium) and I raced a few times with it...
Not that hard, because my friends didn't had competetive cars at that moment.
I drove the motor in nicely with my regulated power supply... and the car was great... it ran smoothly... and super fast... without pushing it broke my trackrecord...

Since a few weeks my friends have a Fly Viper and Saleen so we could race. First time I really raced it, was against the viper (30 laps race)... The marcos was super fast... until it slowed down and eventually it broke down. After a good examination I saw the chassis was broken where the buchings of the rear axle fit in. So the buchings came out and the pinion ate lightly the teeth of the crowngear. I tried to fix the little splits in the chassis with superglue but it didn't work out.

I couldn't go back to the shop with it so mailed Aaron of Gaugemaster Controls. The very kind and understanding Aaron shipped me a Marcos chassis. (another big thanks for this Aaron
) In the meantime I went to my slotstore and bought a new rear axle for a Marcos. Friday the package from England sat in my mailbox at home. I had a busy weekend so yesterday I had the first opportunity to work on the marcos.

I took the old chassis, took all the parts out of it... Placed the guide, the magnet, the motor and the front wheels of the "old Marcos" in the new chassis. I took the brand new Marcos rear axle and put it in. I saw the new axle had dark gray plactic buchings instead of metal ones. I put the the axle in anyways and drove the car for a few laps... I noticed it wasn't as fast as it used to be. It couldn't make the top speed it did. So I checked the crowngear and compared it with the original one. Well... the original one had less teeth and was also dark gray... the new one had more teeht and was black as it could be... Two different crowngear: the gear ratio was wrong... The teeth of the original were not worn out that badly, so I put the old axle in with the metal bushings... and I when the bushings went in, it wasn't that easy. I drove a few laps wit it... and the car was faster... but it wasn't what it was before...

I checked it again... and I saw little lines under the bushings... the chassis has split again under the bushings. I went completely nuts!!!

So... If you guys have marcosses... could you pleeeaaaase check what kind of crown gear and what kind of bushings they have? Coz I don't know it anymore...

I'll post pictures of the disaster tonight!!!

Thanks for listening guys...

Greetz

Gunther

·
Registered
69 Posts
I had the same chassis cracking problem with one "new" series Marcos (the Le Mans test car) and the "Leader" Panoz. I believe this has something to do with the brass bushings they started to put in the cars some time ago (as opposed to the plastic bushings in the "old" series Marcos and Panoz). I guess the new style brass bushing is just slightly too big and/or unforgiving regarding the space made for it. Or has FLY used some harder plastic compound on the new series chassis? On the "old" Marcos I've put the rear axle several in/out several times and have had no crackings there...

Right now I'm considering to take out the notches securing the bushing in its place and just gluing the bushing (brass or plastic) in there with good epoxy glue.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks porsche freak...

That could explain a lot!!!

Could you check your type of crowngear too please?

Thanks

G.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I'll check the gears back home, but I'm afraid that the answer will be that they've been using both 27 & 28 tooth crown gears depending on the car's "generation" i.e. older models with one and the newer releases with a different one. I'm not sure if I can still identify the original rear axle from the "old" generation Marcos (A26) as the rear axle there was replaced with another similar FLY axle from my spare parts box, but at least I still have the "new generation" Marcos axles available. I vaguely remember that there might have even been 2 different pinions (8 and 9 tooth) used in the front engined models...

·
Registered
75 Posts
I've got the "Brands Hatch 1997".
Crowngear is a black 27 tooth.
Pinion is a brass 8 tooth.
Red plasticbushings

I've had mine for about 4 months now and this car keeps braking record after record.
Ther's been no problems at all with this one.

·
Registered
549 Posts
The current spares available for the Marcos have a 27 tooth crown (black in colour) and an 8 tooth (brass) pinion.

Aaron

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
So I messed up two chassis because the Marcos had standard bushings that are to big for the chassis they came in.

Nice one Fly...

I looked forward some Fly models... but lately I have quite some troubles with my Fly purchases and I'm not quite convinced of their qualtity anymore.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Hi Gunther,

I currently have 5 Marcosses but never had the problem you told us. I will check the gear ratios of them tonight....but i can't remember which cars still have the original set-up and on which I have changed the axles......one thing i know is that the older Fly cars with front motor had 8 tooth brass pinion and the newer have 9 tooth brass.....but i didn't realise that also the crown gear changed !!!

from Switzerland
Zubi

·
Nobby Berkshire
2,015 Posts
Same thing happened on my first Marcos. Chassis simply cannot take the metal bushings and splits on removal and refitting. It's made for the black nylon type. Very dissappointing. on't fit an axle unless it's got the nylon bushings.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
QUOTE (Screwneck @ 19 May 2004, 13:34)Same thing happened on my first Marcos. Chassis simply cannot take the metal bushings and splits on removal and refitting. It's made for the black nylon type. Very dissappointing. on't fit an axle unless it's got the nylon bushings.
Too late now...

I have two broken chassis... and no Marcos...

G.

·
Registered
549 Posts
QUOTE I saw the new axle had dark gray plastic bushes instead of metal ones

I have checked our stock here, and they all have metal bushes. Are you sure you bought the correct axle, as the general thread here seems to be that other people have not had the same problems.

I wonder if you bought the Lister Storm axle by mistake, as it is very similar?

Just a thought..

Aaron

·
Registered
514 Posts
I replaced the crown on my Marcos, and the replacement axle had plastic bushings. This is part #B32 "Eje trasero Marcos".

Could it be that there are different bushings fitted on new replacement axles? My Marcos axle had a different logo than the new parts I have (dark blue with Fly logo, while the new spare parts have more graphics and lighter blue color).

·
Registered
549 Posts
QUOTE Could it be that there are different bushings fitted on new replacement axles?

Thats what I meant - I have checked all our spares and they all have brass bushes.

Aaron

·
Registered
514 Posts
QUOTE Thats what I meant - I have checked all our spares and they all have brass bushes.

Yes, but what I meant is that there could be different batches of replacement axles.
I purchased my replacement axle in february, and it came with plastic bushings. Hence I suspect that the axles that you have in stock are newer, which could explain why all of them have brass bushes.

This is the top of the bag that my axle came in:

From what I understand more recent parts come like this, and if the axles in your stock are like this they are probably newer:

·
Registered
549 Posts
Just out of interest, could you post a picture of the back of the pack top, where the label is?

Aaron

·
Registered
514 Posts
I assume that the label is the interesting part, so I focused on that (the picture quality is so poor since I used my mobile phone for the picture...):

1 - 20 of 24 Posts