SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At our club we race DTM and Touring. DTM having Merc, Audi and Opel. Touring can have all the other touring cars from the rest of the world like Alfa, Renault, BMW etc.

I'm looking at the BMW M3 for my touring car. Ninco and Fly make some of them in the same livery and at this stage that does not bother me what livery I'm getting. Okay, now I want to know which one will give me the best performance out of the box. I will only be allowed to change the gearing to Slot.it if I keep the ratios the same. Tyres must be kept stock as well. It will be run on a 25m very smooth wood track.

Oh yes, I can get Fly BMW for about 2/3rds the price of a Ninco. But I'll rather go for performance then price.

·
Jim Moyes
5,045 Posts
I assume from wood track, we're talking non mag. If so, there's only one choice, Ninco!!!

Mr.M

·
Registered
752 Posts
I'm assuming it's not a magna braid track?

In which case, if it's a BMW you must have.... The Ninco M3 is the way to go.

The Fly version has a front mounted motor, making traction hard to come by in a no mag situation.
The Fly versions with straight spoke wheels (not X spoke) have VERY weak wheel hubs.
The Fly motor fitted to the M3 and 320i has poor braking (Seems to rely on traction mag for its' effect - which is a problem in a no mag situation
)

The Ninco version is fitted with a side/angle winder motor config (puts weight right where you need it for traction - just ahead of the rear axle)
The Ninco version has a 3/4 interior (tricky to spot till you compare it to the Fly version!) which gives plenty of room for adding weight or lighting kits (if allowable).

In case it makes a difference, I feel I should point out that the E46 BMW M3 as modelled by Ninco and Fly is strictly speaking a GT car, not a touring car. It raced in the 'GT' or GT3 classification.

-Rob

ps If I think of anything else I'll post again later

pps Ah! yes... If your track's straights are longer than 2.5 meters, make sure you get one of the later Ninco m3s with the NC5 motor - much higher top speed when run in
(The Red Bull or Amprex cars are the ones).

·
Premium Member
5,558 Posts
Hold your horses, Tonto!

From early reports of excellent running I'd suggest you might want to go with the Ninco Honda NSX from the JGTC - that's "All-Japan Grand Touring Car Championship".

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was wondering if the Honda could go as Touring. But I saw it under the GT section on some sites. Obviously a better choice.

Thanks for all the input.

·
Allan Wakefield
5,857 Posts
NINCO NINCO NINCO !!!

NSX NSX NSX !!!

Ahh - nothing new but silliness in this reply then but you get the point?

Good luck and happy racing Mampara!

·
Registered
265 Posts
Out of the box? The obvious choice is Ninco! Haven't met a fly that was capable right out of the box. I have both the Fly and the Ninco. The Fly needed work to run at all (both of them), but the Ninco got the standard prep and away it went. The Fly is a bit faster (well tuned condition) but it was thirty bucks more to field than the Ninco. Also, the Ninco makes a cool "whirring scream" under way.

Hit it!!!

·
Peter Farrell
2,114 Posts
I cannot answer for aberration cars as only have scratch built versions. however one of the best out of the box cars I have ever had was a 908 Flunder from Fly. Wonderful predictable handling good turn of speed and seriously quick around the corners. Maybe this was an aberration, if it is then I'm glad to be the owner.
Alfetta

·
Anthony Bartlett
3,255 Posts
Know your track quite well - only use Ninco - and if allowed - change to slot it gearing. the ninco bmw take some setting up but are quick once that has been done - add some weight on the sides and few gram's under the front axle .... I also did some gentle/careful filing of the spur gear to get it to sit properly

have some pics of the set up i have on 2 BMW's I raced at your track - pm me and I will send some to you....

·
Alan Paterson
835 Posts
Be Different,

Use the new Honda NSX.. Just arrived here, and available from Slotcars Website..

Plus, there will be all the other BM's and whatever other cars already on the track, so it'll be unique to have the Honda out there.. Also do the Slot.It gearing, but no filing is required if you put them together carefully...

Regards

Big Al
Slotcars South africa

·
Gary Skipp
6,506 Posts
Wankel and Mampara:

NSX = GT = GRAND Touring

Thats grander than regular touring

The Ninco BMW is a top car, just make sure everythings true and you've glued as much as you can. Check the axel, should be fine, but as you say, slot.it if it isnt.

The Ninco car is an anglewinder, and allthough you can gt slot.its to mesh, I'd leave it as is.

Be careful on your choice also, the older ones have an NC2, wheras the newer ones have a NC5. Personal pref, but dont buy the wrong one!

·
Anthony Bartlett
3,255 Posts
Andre

herewith the pic as promised

bigger views of pics are available in my slotforum gallery

- Weight comes in at 105 grammes, and distributed as per pic
- Rear wheels have been substituted for aluminium rims and the ninco wheels filed down as inserts.
- slot it rear bearings have been glued into the front, so that the front wheels are free wheeling and barely touch the track.
- front tyres coated in superglue for minimum resistance
- Rear tyres are SCX soft
- slot it rear bearings and gears added.
- rear pinion slightly filed to form 'angle-winder'
- motor run in for 2 hours - 1 hour at 3 volts and 1 hour at 6 volts
- silicone wires added from motor to guide...

initial setup was done by Al Patterson (Big Al on the forum), which I then modified so that the car worked on the very twisty esses on your circuit

any comments/improvement suggestions from anyone??

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks abie321. That looks like a lot of wait. The most I've got in any of my cars is about 40g. That is in my Merc GTR. The Slot.it rear end was the reason I could lighten it. Thought that would be the case in the BMWs aswell.

·
Anthony Bartlett
3,255 Posts
that is the TOTAL weight of the car I was referring to.... not weight added.

·
Allan Wakefield
5,857 Posts
40 grams IN the car ADDED??????

OK now THAT is a lot, I use 5/10g max. SURE you need that much? It will be alot faster without so much I am sure.

·
Anthony Bartlett
3,255 Posts
Swiss - large open track I agree with you..........

BUT - the track in question has a double set of ess bends that your car has to be set up for - plus there are 3 straights but not exceptionally long, so to be quick over a lap on this track, balance in the esses is paramount. This particular car was the quickest non Merc, and on most occasions, was the quickest - full stop...

This car does NOT drive well at all on my home Ninco track or at the track that we raced the SA speed week .... - horses for courses...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts