SlotForum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me if the Fly Porsche 911 (Gulf livery, model 036104) is rear-engined , ie. motor mounted behind the rear axle ?
Steve

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for that info. Great ! The rear engine position makes me want to get one of these cars even more. The extreme weight bias of that rear mounted engine might replicate the feared/respected/loved handling traits of the early 911s. They were known for having great traction in a straight line and out of corners but notorious for their lift-off oversteer. One had to be very talented or brave to master a 911. Newer 911s have been tamed significantly to the point where apparently an average driver can go quite quickly in them safely.
Steve

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
the ninco 934 is a nicer looking car. i,ve got a fly 935K3 and its got the same motor behind the back axle. i dont run with mags and it requires a fair bit of lead on the front end to keep it planted. john

·
Registered
320 Posts
Magnetless, the handling of those rear engined Fly Porsche directly depends of the kind of track : I have a few 911, 934 and 935 which were a pitty to drive on my old Ninco track even with lots of lead on the front, but on my wood track I really enjoy them, even with no lead

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
I also enjoy the Fly 911/935 non-mag on my Sport track. The 935 required a lot of lead up front because I run Silicone tires, the rally 911 with stock tires, not so much. Also note that the Fly Racing 911 cars have a rear inline chassis with a sprung motor pod. They are much quicker and don't come with a magnet, but have unpainted, half depth Lexan interiors.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have no doubt that the Fly racing 911s with their inline motors are faster than the regular, rear-engined ones but somehow, for me, the rear-engine design is more attractive due to the fact that it's similarly positioned to the real car (although in this application it is transversely mounted while the 1:1 car is inline).

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
QUOTE (SpeedyNH @ 25 Aug 2012, 03:24) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>wow i've never seen a slot car like that.

Auto Art 997 has a similar layout

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
The only trouble with the rear engine cars is the higher centre of gravity. they eitther cant the motor up or in my 935K they raise the whole motor up a few mill. not such a good base for racing. john

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Unfortunately the higher c of g isn't the only trouble with the rear engined slot cars
A rear engine puts a lot of weight behind the back axle, just about every slot car I've seen handles better with a lot less weight than that behind the back axle.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
It's nice to see a fairly authentic layout but i would have thought competing agaist other 911's with a conventional slot car layout would be very hard indeed even with the kitchen sink in the front the extra weight alone would make the car uncompetative and a lot of people will uprate the existing motor with something quicker, thay always do, Steveaca post 5 you are right about early 911's on a trip to Brands in the 1970's round the back lanes of Kent on a damp morning the cream seats in my friends one were nearly changed to brown should have taken my 1600E much safer Keith.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts