SlotForum banner
21 - 40 of 107 Posts
Good honest review Nuro. It's much appreciated. As Darainbow said, it'll probably take a bit of weight on the front end to get them to run well, but in any case I'll be adding a few of these to my stable.

Regards,
Steve

It's too bad to read that Fly has taken this engine mounting thing of their's so far. It's a bad idea to make a chassis that you know is so flawed. Many of us run on routed wood tracks with no magnets. I don't want to have to load the slotcar down with so much lead just to get the thing to stay in the slot.

I've been looking forward to this car for months now and I must say after reading the review I'm very disappointed.

DK

Nuro, is there enough place in the chassis to place the lead or does the car have a full interior which does not allow to place the lead on the right places (without trimming the interior) ??

Thanks and greetings from Switzerland
Zubi

QUOTE (tadream @ 16 Dec 2004, 19:56)So Gunther, whenever you're ready and if the Porsche is ou quickly enough in the Uk I'll bring your figures along when I'm coming to race at Petit Spa !

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Do we need those porsches for that? Maybe we can race some other endurances, and do it again afterwards with the Porsches! Looking forward to race you at Petit Spa and Le Mans!

As soon as the figures arrive, grab your cars together and let me know and get ready for some endurances!

I checked with Peter from LesCars and I should have my 911s next week! Hopefully on tuesday! Can't wait!

Greetz

Gunther

Factory driver Jurgen Barth and John Russell arrive at Le Mans from Stuttgart.

The race car arrives .. Michael Keyser owner/ driver of Todd Hall. John Russell, customer service and race development from Porsche factory along with girlfriend, Martha Chambers "Mac" at Le Mans 1972. The car was driven by Sylvain Garant, of France , JĂĽrgen Barth, of Deutschland, Michael Keyser, of USA and finished 13th over all.

Everyone helped out back in 1972!

Todd Hall Porsche at the end of the Mulsanne straight

Even though I wasn't even born back then... I just love those cars, and the sphere from back then!

Cheers

gunther

Thanks for the review. Personally I admire Fly for trying the motor placement, at least it means cars have different handling characteristics and they're not all the same with a different bodyshell on. Also, I notice we have a solid front axle which is another big
from me.

One question though...the review says:

"The rims are a little bit deceiving and let the model down."

Can you expand? From the photo's they look pretty good to me.

Looking superb!
I will also wait for the next livery or two and also would love to know how the interior looks from the chassis end, IS there space for weight? for an HRS chassis to give the car a chance to run well?

More pics! more pics!

Nice additional photos, thanks!
Those rims are very sweet.

Looks like room for a sidewinder HRS if the rear of the interior is chopped a little, worth a go I think as there is no room under the interior for weight it looks like, unless some floor chopping could be done.
I will look into getting one I think and coming up with some tuning ideas.

QUOTE (Swissracer @ 17 Dec 2004, 13:42)Nice additional photos, thanks!
Those rims are very sweet.

Looks like room for a sidewinder HRS if the rear of the interior is chopped a little, worth a go I think as there is no room under the interior for weight it looks like, unless some floor chopping could be done.
I will look into getting one I think and coming up with some tuning ideas.
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Interesting- those photos show a mag pocket just behind the guide. so that should make sorting it's 911-ish tendencies out a lot easier, whether you put a mag there or some weight.

I think that magnet hole will be too small for effective weighting and I don't like magnets (dont start! its just a personal comment !
).
I just ordered one via sphobbies fast track service so will do something with it as soon as it arrives.

So some people like the motor placement and others don't? For actually racing the toy car it may need weight up front but from the purists point of view I would think it should be fine as is. The real car has its motor back there too
This is the big chance for all the people that don't like magnet cars to race with the real problems

Sorry to be negative, but I have to agree with Darainbow and 13Davek about motor placement. What is the point of hanging all that weight behind the rear axle where it will act like a pendulum on every curve? Without magnets the car will be hopeless. Slot cars have very few characteristics in common with 1/1 cars regarding chassis dynamics, motor mass etc., and to unnecessarily place the motor in a position that clearly will compromise performance is pure foolishness IMHO.

mp

This is the challenge Lads......To get one of these beautiful cars to handle without the "devils own invention", i.e. magnets.

Really does echo Porsches experience with the real car....Have you ever driven an early 911 in the wet?....

Regards

Alan

QUOTE (BEEJAY7 @ 17 Dec 2004, 10:40)This is the challenge Lads......To get one of these beautiful cars to handle without the "devils own invention", i.e. magnets.

Really does echo Porsches experience with the real car....Have you ever driven an early 911 in the wet?....

Regards

Alan
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

TIme to Chime in.....opinions....i love'em...love reading them...so I register today..only because I need share my own on the 911...

Firstly ...bravo to fly again....I am a bit bias to the fly products...they seem to be targeting a more mature audience by uncomprimising motor position...for the owner, racer, collector this makes for a much more interesting product....and i am one that supports that 100%. Also, let it be known that i am a very busy person and unfortunatly havent the time to spend doing alot of tuning.

Because of that I try and promote BOX_STOCK cars for racing. Good, evenly produced cars, make for the best racing...again with the opinions... well so be it.

as far as what FLY chooses to do...so far so good and keep it comming....I for one love it....

thanks
Q

I agree with Q and Alan, I think it will be an interesting car. Although I wouldn't be surprised if the weight distribution is even worse than the 1:1. It will be fun to tune and it appears there is plenty of room up front for weight. This will make for a fairly long polar moment, but we'll see how that works. If you don't like doing a bit of tuning, you probably shouldn't be buying Flys for racing anyway.

The wheels look nice also I notice brake discs. The only thing is the black paint; it looks a bit rough around the edges?

Despite this I can't wait to buy one to tinker with, this car it intrigues me nearly as much as when I first bought a front engine car (Fly Viper) and 4 wheel drive (SCX RS200).

I wonder if it will be a scary as the doom mongers mention.

Welcome Q, Yep another one here who likes to race/promote box stock cars for equal racing hoorah!

Be warned they aren't very many of us who share the same viewpoint... also I like no brakes, a track with traction; it's nice to be in the minority.

Jamie

21 - 40 of 107 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.