SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone out there have a Fly Porsche 917K? I just ordered one and am curious what your experience has been with it and what your opinion is of the car overall and of its performance. (Basically, I'm looking to make myself feel better about spending all that money.)

Thanks.

Mike

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
I have 2. They needed work - spacers to stop wheel slop, and for my tastes at the time (my super-magnet phase) they needed more magnets than they came with. After that they are smooth and fast runners.

The UK distributer for Fly Guagemaster passed on feedback from the forum to Fly, and apparently they now come with spacers already fitted. Depends on whether the one you are buying is fresh stock or not I guess...

oh - and you will find that there is a tad more detail in the Fly porsche than in the scalextric TT!

·
Premium Member
1,780 Posts
Good choice

I have two of these, but this one is my favourite:

I also had to use washers to eliminate rear axle play. In the picture below you can just see the two washers on the right hand side of the spur gear.

Fortunatley for me both of mine run smooth and consistant, but I'd check for rear axle play and for any tyre rub if you have problems. Also check that the motor spindle isn't rubbing on the tyre you can see in the photo above its pretty close. On one my Fly Ferrari 512's I had to chop the excess off the spindle and chamfer the pinion gear to stop it rubbing.

MAF

·
Registered
321 Posts
QUOTE (astro @ 21 Oct 2004, 12:06)oh - and you will find that there is a tad more detail in the Fly porsche than in the scalextric TT!
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

ROFL. Well, I would hope so at this price!

Though I like the Scalextric Audi TT. Nice price. There's not much external to break on it, so it can safely fly around and then spin on its back like a turtle.

Hmm. So far you guys haven't made me feel extremely good about this purchase.
It sounds like at worst though, its got wheel slop. One shouldn't have to add spacers to a car that carries -- to me at least -- a premium price. But, I'll check it out. And also check that the gearing isn't rubbing the tire.

Okay... next time I'll check here before I buy.

Mike

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So far, MAF, you've done best at making me feel better.
The one I ordered is like the one that is your favorite. Looks like I'll be shoppng for some teeny-tiny washers. Are these readily available? Maybe Fly should just drop them in the box with the car.

All of this will be okay, since my wife doesn't subscribe to this forum. (whew)

Thanks MAF.

Mike

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
ahhhhhhh fly prices! now there is a topic and a half!

But still, they are cheaper than maxi models, racer and le-mans minatures, make a massive range of cars to amazing detail, many not made by anyone else, and no-one forces us to buy them!

·
Registered
543 Posts
Mike

these are some of the best. espescially for learning patience. axle shims are the biggest improvement. you may find lotsa slop in the front wheels. just push the wheels further onto the stubs. when that gets tired use a solid axle at the front. check for out of round wheels at the back. likely they will be. older FLY cars ya know.........

as for the patience. that comes when you need to reassemble the car. the motor leads need be exactly right or they get caught between the interior tray and the chassis. which bows the chassis. which helps performance not one bit.

patience.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Monguispot. Patience is certainly something I can stand to improve.
So, it will be a good Zen experience for me.

I note the same rear axle play on the Fly Lola T-70 that I received last week, so I'll be looking for those spacers. And the same proximity of the spindle. It doesn't touch, but the tolerance is mighty fine. Front wheels on the Lola seem fine. Good and tight.

I expect I'll get to run the Lola at a club meet this weekend. (Still don't have my track up yet.)

If I can correct these problems... and if it runs well... it's a damn handsome car... as is the Porsche 917K.

Ah, our vices.

Mike

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have one Fly car. It is a 917K. I've always loved the 917K ever since I was a kid. I can literally blast the DVD version of the movie LeMans loud enough to make your ears hurt and thoroughly love it. It drives my wife nuts, but that is the best racing movie ever.

So anyway, back to the Fly 917K. Fly cars look awesome, very awesome. My 917K ran so bad out of the box, I am afraid to purchase any of their other offerings. The rear subchassis (motor cradle and rear axle assembly) was actually sitting in the car crooked. I had to use heat (read and open flame) to bend the body mounting post straight so the rear subframe would sit correctly. I still need to replace the out of round and broken rear wheels. I did have to tighten up the front stub axles a lot. The car runs pretty well now except for the wobble at the rear thanks to the busted wheels. I wasted lots of time trying to true up the rear tires.

I'd rather pay less for a lesser looking but better running slot car anyday. That's just my experience, your results may vary (standard disclaimer).

·
Registered
265 Posts
So now you've heard about Fly. Yes, they do need work to be fielded, often the work is simple but thats beside the point. For these prices they should be able to run decently out of the box. Lately Professor Motor has decided not to carry them anymore! He was rumbling about it a while back. He says he will order them special if we want them but he is tired of dealing with all their problems. I guess I don't blame him. I'll be sure to attend the blow-out clearance sale soon! Too bad really as some of their cars are just beautiful.

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Slot car wise, the 917 is very similar to the lola T-70. They have the same hard-to-true rubber compound classic tyres, same stubs and same sub-chassis design.

My 917s run a bit better than my T-70.

And then there is this issue of Fly quality control... maybe Fly are learning and improving? Who knows.

·
1 hp Trabant is not my real car
770 Posts
As the topic has expanded from the 917 to Fly in general, can I mention my Fly Viper GTS-R Valencia FIA - red with silver stripe.
It was my first Fly car, and I wondered about the much higher cost than the typical Scaley, but I wanted to broaden my horizons from Scalextric.
When I took it out of the box, I was very disappointed that the L/H front wheel (independant) was just too sloppy. I took it back to the shop and it was replaced without question. The replacement one is just fine.
But it is so beautiful. Sometimes I put it on the table and just stare at it.

Cheers, Isetta.

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
maybe ruhdwulf.... however there are a lot of people who complain and complain, but keep going back for more!

Many of my Fly's have worked straight off (chevron, new viper, corvette to name a few). A fair number needed work. I agree that for the price, they should not need that much work. However, the alternative for many of these cars is finding a kit body, painting and decalling it yourself, probably buying a fly chassis for the interior and so on - ends up even more work and expense. Just be glad they are there at all!

My preference is for a slot world with Fly and its faults rather than a slot world without fly cars at all.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
True, Astro, but if people continue to pay premium prices for less than acceptable quality, then Fly will never improve. Why should they?

I went to a club race last night and heard the same complaints about Fly. A Lola T-70... fresh from the box, with the motor skewed in the motor mount, slop in the rear axle, wheels mounted crooked, and generally shoddy work inside the car. The cars look wonderful, but we're also paying for what's inside.

Unless Fly has an economic incentive to improve manufacturing and quality control there's no reason on earth for them to do it.

I'm happy Fly is around... and will be happier when they build the car they are capable of building. And they can do so at exactly the same price they are now charging. Meanwhile, there are other choices. So many cars, so little time.

Mike

·
Registered
265 Posts
As Astro mentioned earlier, I, too, am one of those people who "still comes back for more".
Maybe I do it because one of the things I'm paying for is the right to piss and moan???
Ahh well. Fly has cars no one else has so.........I guess it just hones my prepping skills
. Once you get the cars together, they run quite well. It's a matter of getting used to paying more and finishing them yourself! I can think of a few 1:1 cars and bikes that fit THAT bill, but they still sell, don't they?
Don't abandon them just because their quality control REEKS (now I'm laughing!). I just got bit by an M3 (lit yellow corn) that I HAD to have
The one headlight was out on the first drive, I repaired it, then ALL the lights quit a week later!!! (This on a $70.00us car!) Now I wait for a main lighting board to get shipped. Please Fly, bite me again!!!

To nothing but insane fun!
Cheers!

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Good points all, Harry. I suppose we do love to fiddle... even if we pay a high price for it.
Let's just say that I'll be leery of Fly cars in the future. If I succumb, at least I'll know what I'm in for.
The psychology behind our purchases... our loves and dislikes... are not rational... and I've perhaps tried to imagine them as too rational. Humans ain't really made that way.

cheers,

Mike

·
Premium Member
1,342 Posts
hi, guys

while we are on the subject of Fly performance and fixes...I have largely avoided Fly's because of what I heard. I did try the Vette, which was clunky (felt "heavy" when you try to accelerate*) and noisy (god awful noisy**)...and I have a GB Track number "0" 917 that came as a freebie when I bought my track(the white one, I should remember the driver but I don't, Joest?). I love the little rascal!! ARe the 917 and T70 Fly's closer to that, or to the Corvette..in quality and performance? You would think they are the same vintage but...are they? Or is it a different animal altogether?

cheers,
John

*I am using Professor Motor Silver series controllers, Carrera Track and the PM Loco power supply, plus power taps every 15 feet

**I never did shim the axle, but did glue the rear axle bearings in place

·
Registered
571 Posts
I have two fly cars. A Ferrari 512 and Porsche 917. The Ferrari is one of my favourite cars and flew straight out of the box. I haven't really done any work to it since except add some lights. Great car!

The Porsche however has never really run well. At some point the chassis became very warped. reading an earlier message maybe this was because I trapped the wires under the cockpit moulding. I have also had to correct the rear wheel slop and last time out I came to a halt when the front wheel came loose on its stub axel. Plus the thing is a real pig to get together!

So after this mixed experience did it put me off Fly? No but their high prices have! I have just been lured into buying the new Viper but I will not be telling my wife how much it cost!

JS

1 - 20 of 21 Posts