SlotForum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone out there have a Fly Porsche 917K? I just ordered one and am curious what your experience has been with it and what your opinion is of the car overall and of its performance. (Basically, I'm looking to make myself feel better about spending all that money.)

Thanks.

Mike

· Registered
321 Posts
QUOTE (astro @ 21 Oct 2004, 12:06)oh - and you will find that there is a tad more detail in the Fly porsche than in the scalextric TT!
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

ROFL. Well, I would hope so at this price!

Though I like the Scalextric Audi TT. Nice price. There's not much external to break on it, so it can safely fly around and then spin on its back like a turtle.

Hmm. So far you guys haven't made me feel extremely good about this purchase.
It sounds like at worst though, its got wheel slop. One shouldn't have to add spacers to a car that carries -- to me at least -- a premium price. But, I'll check it out. And also check that the gearing isn't rubbing the tire.

Okay... next time I'll check here before I buy.

Mike

· Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So far, MAF, you've done best at making me feel better.
The one I ordered is like the one that is your favorite. Looks like I'll be shoppng for some teeny-tiny washers. Are these readily available? Maybe Fly should just drop them in the box with the car.

All of this will be okay, since my wife doesn't subscribe to this forum. (whew)

Thanks MAF.

Mike

· Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Monguispot. Patience is certainly something I can stand to improve.
So, it will be a good Zen experience for me.

I note the same rear axle play on the Fly Lola T-70 that I received last week, so I'll be looking for those spacers. And the same proximity of the spindle. It doesn't touch, but the tolerance is mighty fine. Front wheels on the Lola seem fine. Good and tight.

I expect I'll get to run the Lola at a club meet this weekend. (Still don't have my track up yet.)

If I can correct these problems... and if it runs well... it's a damn handsome car... as is the Porsche 917K.

Ah, our vices.

Mike

· Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
True, Astro, but if people continue to pay premium prices for less than acceptable quality, then Fly will never improve. Why should they?

I went to a club race last night and heard the same complaints about Fly. A Lola T-70... fresh from the box, with the motor skewed in the motor mount, slop in the rear axle, wheels mounted crooked, and generally shoddy work inside the car. The cars look wonderful, but we're also paying for what's inside.

Unless Fly has an economic incentive to improve manufacturing and quality control there's no reason on earth for them to do it.

I'm happy Fly is around... and will be happier when they build the car they are capable of building. And they can do so at exactly the same price they are now charging. Meanwhile, there are other choices. So many cars, so little time.

Mike

· Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Good points all, Harry. I suppose we do love to fiddle... even if we pay a high price for it.
Let's just say that I'll be leery of Fly cars in the future. If I succumb, at least I'll know what I'm in for.
The psychology behind our purchases... our loves and dislikes... are not rational... and I've perhaps tried to imagine them as too rational. Humans ain't really made that way.

cheers,

Mike

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.