SlotForum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yo,

I was wondering if someone else has tried the Fly "Pro" Controller with its adjustable braking.

Got to race with it last nite and found the brakes to be very "soft" even at its highest settings.

The controller uses electronic means for its adjustable braking instead a heavy reostat in the braking line. I want to make sure mine is working properly.

Checked all the internals, repaired poor connections between the wiper and resistor, repaired broken pin to the brake pot, but still poor braking. It would adjust from no brake, to very little brake.

Please post your experiences...

Thanks!

CK

·
Allan Wakefield
5,857 Posts
QUOTE repaired broken pin to the brake pot, but still poor braking. It would adjust from no brake, to very little brake.

To be honest if there was a broken anything in a new controller that was showing poor response I would have returned it before trying to fix it.

However, you probably don't want to hear that having tried to repair it ehh?
sorry.

Anyway it sounds to me like the brake pot is screwed, regardless of the repair.

I have tried one on Carrera and Scalextric classic track (both direct wired I have to say) and found the brakes to be good and easy to vary.

Maybe you can take it back and exchange it anyway?

BTW - welcome to the Forum! and excuse my flippancy, its late and the pills are wearing off.

·
Matt Tucker
3,560 Posts
Ensure you've got the polarity swith in the correct setting. Easiest way to tell - lift the back wheels up and get the motor going at a fari lick and release the trigger. If the wheels don't stop sharpish or in fact continue to rotate under their own magical power then the polarity switch is in worng posn. Push it in on the bottom of the controller and try again.

Matt

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies...

I wish things were simple.

1) As far as taking apart a new controller... Come on now... Everything we buy in this hobby needs fixed before it can be used....

2) Yes the polarity is right. It does cause the motor to slowly turn when in the wrong position.

3) I wondering if anyone knew the specifics of how the electronics worked. I'll check the voltage regulator. Nothing is smoked. I'll just fix the brake adjustment using a small allen key wrench and drill a hole through the brake adjust knob.

Thanks

CK

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yo Aaron,

No nasty holes drilled... yet.....

I would like to take you up on your offer. I have PM & Parma controllers now and really like the Fly Pro. A lot of my fellow racers are looking forward to trying this controller once I get it sorted out.

I'll send you an email with my personal info. Let me know what I need to do on my end.

I won't be bothered one bit if you try it out - test - it first...

I found a source for very nice push-on alligator clips that fit the banana plugs so no cutting is needed...
I'll post it once I get a part number and a phone number for this supplier.

Thanks in advance

CK

1 - 6 of 6 Posts