Slot Cars Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've always been a big fan of the Fly models, they produce some fantastic looking slot cars.

I know that the pinnions and crowns aren't up to the job but my last few purchases the quality control has been none existant.

Chassis snapped where rear axel seats, teeth broken on pinnions etc.

Am I just being unlucky or is anyone experiencing the same.

Dodge

·
Registered
243 Posts
No you´re not the only one. Of all the cars I have I must say that I´m most disappointed with my Fly cars from a quality perspective.

After I bought a brand new Alfa Romeo TZ1 last autumn I decided on a break from Fly. They are just not worth the money you spend on them. The Alfas rearaxle moved sideways very much resulting in a terrible sounding car. Also the drivers tray was lose and the spring on the axle from the motor was rusty. When I removed the rear wheels in order to fix the side to side movement both wheels cracked. I managed to get the car driveable but was not happy with it.

Last week I had a go with it. All of a sudden it stopped working an the axle from the motor had snapped out from its seat resulting in the spring on the motor axle being all messed upp. In order to try to straighten it out I had to remove the motor which resulted in, guess what, the chassis cracking where the motors in place.

Again I managed to get it driveable, but barely. It.s sounds like putting nails in a blender and also the motor seems strangely tired requiring a lot of power to get moving.

Though the body still is pretty I´m now considering a MRRC-chassis instead of buying new parts to upgrade the current chassis.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Thank you Mr GT, I also have problems with my Fly Alpha TZ, it sounds really bad, one of the rear wheels won't sit straight on the axle.

I am getting very frustrated by Flys poor or non existant quality control and don't hold much hope of buying any more of their more expensive models. It really should not be happening on a £45 car. I hope Fly start reading posts like this as there have been others about the quality of their models previously.

Thanks

Matthew

·
Registered
318 Posts
I'd say around a third of my Fly cars suffer from this shoddy quality control. That, in my opinion, is an unacceptable hit rate. If I'm spending £45 on a car, I shouldn't expect to have to play this lottery on whether or not it's actually going to work. I've never had such problems with any other slot car manufacturer, so why should I tolerate it from Fly?

I gave up on Fly a while ago - It's now been well over a year since I bought a brand new model - and have only 'played the lottery again' when an exceptionally nice/desired second-hand model has come up on Phil Smith's site.

Such a shame really, they make some really nice and different models!

·
Premium Member
1,659 Posts
Has anyone asked Fly or their distributor for 'fully working' replacement?

·
David H
3,722 Posts
QUOTE (RMinAdelaide @ 4 Feb 2012, 10:01) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Front wheel location is non existent.

What's wrong with the front wheel location? It looks pretty good to me; no horizontal movement and just the right amount of vertical movement. Far better than the rigid location found on some other brands.

I have to agree with you on quality control though. Every Fly car I've bought in the last year has had something wrong with it. They're lovely looking cars, poorly executed. A real shame.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I returned the Fly Porsche 911 Targa Florio this morning back to the distributor with the broken chassis.

hopefully I'll get a working replacement.

Pity Fly didnt stick to the "racing" series models...they seemed to be fine.

Dodge

·
Alfie Noakes
2,655 Posts
The last Fly car I bought (2nd hand but unused) was last summer, and the quality of finish was pretty rubbish. I've just been tempted by a new Flyslot release and even before I open the box I can see that the rear axle is sitting up in the wheel arch, I hope it just needs snapping back into the axle locator, but at the same time don't see why I should have to take a brand new car apart to fix things before I start using it.
It shouldn't really have left the factory like that. I suspect if this is typical that this latest resurrection of Fly might not last all that long.

Now, if they would only start making slot cars that had pretend racing car noises I probably wouldn't even notice the poor manufacturing and quality control. Brrmmm Brrmmm!
Cheers,
Richard

1 - 10 of 10 Posts