Slot Cars Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I got a couple of these and run them a bit, but I'd like your thoughts on them.

How do they compare on the track to an NC2, NC5 or NC3?

I'm not worried about manufacturers spec, because the labels mean nothing in my experience...

Cheers in advance guys!

McLaren

·
Registered
316 Posts
I have a fly Evo 2 motor in my truck. I ran an NC3 in it and found it to be a much more agressive motor i.e. alot more acceleration, and sharper braking. Top end about even. Lap times were lower - a good 0.2, however, the accelration caused the truck to pick the guide up out of the slot in longer corners. I would often find the truck sliding on the side of the rail down the main straight. The fly motor, being as quick, but more controlled under accelration. With braking being more of a slow to a stop, rather than a slide, it allows the truck to almost free wheel into corners, rather than slide, so Im able to drive through the corner, rather than slide in and control the tail slide and normal fishtail out.
I dont run any magnets so I prefer to run the Fly in the truck... for stability, but thats only the truck. Ive never ran the Fly in any other car (or truck) so cant really add more.
To sum up (running on a wooden club track)
NC3 - faster lap times but more "off rate"
Evo2 - smoother, slower, but more consistant
Hope that helps
CoolS

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
I have the Fly racing Saleen and 911 Evo 2RS with the race motors. I also have a few Ninco GT1s, one with an NC-5 and the others have NC-2s. I have never compared the motors in the same car, but the Fly race seems pretty close to the NC-5 power wise. The NC-5 might have more brake. I also have some Fly trucks, but wasn't aware that was the same motor as the race versions. The trucks seem to have very little brakes, but the race cars slow pretty well. This is all no mags or weight on Scaley Sport track. The Fly cars are a little quicker than the Ninco, but I think it's the components.

·
Nobby Berkshire
2,015 Posts
If Cool Scientist rates the NC3 above the Fly Evo2 then the EVO2 must be a dog. I've always found the NC2 an equal motor to the NC3 with the NC2 being marginally more responsive but lacking top-end speed (if you can ever reach it). Cool's scientific analysis may, therefore, place the Evo2 below par to the Ninco NC2. Hard to comprehend

Get an NC5 and try that. It's a more responsive and more controllable motor that the NC3 with more rpm than the NC2. It'll probably blow the socks off the Evo 2 if Cool's conclusions are correct.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Hi

Well, the labels distress me. I have only seen a couple "evo 2" motors. Gold wrapper? When examined they turned out to be a stock scaley with a gold wrapper. I have HEARD that some are hotter, but not seen any personally to disassemble.

Fate

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cheers for your info guys.

I have all the motors mentioned in this thread, so the reason I asked was to just verify my findings....

I have always thought that on a giant club track an NC3 is equivilent to the EVO2, they are both faster than an NC2 (considerably), but in between them is the NC5 which is slower than an NC3, faster than an NC5 but also has a magnetic effect on the track.

At our club the NC5 is recognised as the fastest way around our track. Unfortunatly, my NC5 blew up 10 mins before the end of practise so I had to swap to the spare car which was fitted with an EVO2. I won the evening, but not by much, and as I was leaving the for the door I was called back by a fellow scrutineer who contested the eligability of the EVO2 motor that I was using. He said that it was a much better motor than the Ninco motors, and said that I had an unfair advantage. I pointed out that it was included on the motor list, but he wasn't satisfied... He wanted to see the minutes from the meeting when it was agreed. As I'm the secretary, I went home to go look for the minutes, but couldn't find them...

On the verge of disqualification, I asked the SF public in a hope to prove that the EVO2 isn't better than the Ninco motors which are allowed.

I will find out if I get to keep my points later this evening. I'll keep you posted.

McLaren

·
Nobby Berkshire
2,015 Posts
Hey, hey, hey...always handy to lose minutes when secretaries win races and can't find the minutes when charged with dodgy dealings

Your not a managing director of a double glazing company by any chance, are you?

G

·
...mmm NC5, we have a Ninco Clio class at Molesey. Run standard they provide very close racing, but I have blown 3 up so far and other club members have 'too' or is that 'to' or 'two'!
Not the best quality I have seen in a motor. Windings have de-soldered, motor jammed up due to plastic being pulled into the comm from the endbell.

Evo/proslot motors are banned from our Saloon class and moved to GT, reason behind this is that the Evo motors are so inconsistent the manufacturing process it is hard to judge what wind you have when you buy a car.

Some have a gold lable stuck on Evo2 but they rev like an Evo3, then you have Evo3's with stuck on and printed lables they vary between Scaley motors to NC4 speed or just smoke and burn out.............nice "I'll will get me coat"

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hehe... after searching through piles of paperwork, we found some sheets which stated that it was legal... and some that stated that it wasn't. On the grounds that I refused to be disqualified, I kept my points... but have lost the championship this year

McLaren

·
Anthony Bartlett
3,255 Posts
We use the NC5 extensively here in South Africa - and have not seen the 'size' of blown NC5's indicated here. We do cut a hole in the wrapper on both sides of the motor so that the armature is ventilated. They are used in cars on wooden tracks an have significant high speed time.... and I do not know of a blown NC5. It is also worth while to run in the motor for a couple of hours at 3 volts before using it in anger. (the Spanish Magazines suggest oiling the motor - carefully - and then run in for 2 hours at 3 volts, then clean the motor and re oil, and then 2 hours at 6 volts).....

·
Registered
114 Posts
McLaren,

I found this list in the net (www.sportscar.de). The motors were tested with the Testing Bench from Kelvin Light:

Hersteller Bezeichnung 6V 9V 12V
Ninco NC4 Stinger (*2) rpm/mA 15.210/176 22.710/224 30.880/212
FLY Racing Evo2 rpm/mA 8.880/80 13.470/95 17.820/100
Ninco NC3 Extreme rpm/mA 8.980/88 13.470/112 17.880/144
Ninco NC5 Speeder rpm/mA 8.340/94 12.690/108 16.950/124
Scaleauto SC0001 rpm/mA 7.680/72 11.520/96 15.240/114
Reprotec RT10 rpm/mA 7.820/68 11.660/84 15.430/98
FLY Racing Truck rpm/mA 7.680/68 11.430/74 15.330/84
Vanquish VM rpm/mA 7.530/64 11.370/72 15.090/76
Ninco NC2 rpm/mA 7.530/68 11.310/80 15.030/96

Greetings from Switzerland
Zubi

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Nice to see someone who knows what they are talking about... not.

If you had been at the commitee meeting (whoever you are?), then you would have seen me overule a majority vote in my favour to have myself disqualified to shut the complaining guy up. In the end four people voted for me to keep my points, and one guy voted against. He wouldn't stop complaining and we were all getting pissed off so I said that I would loose my points on the condition that we could get on to discussing the next topic.

Anyway, the motor has been allowed for the rest of the year, which really means that it provided no advantage... but what can you do?

Cheers for bringing it up, it shows you have no idea what you are talking about... Nice one

McLaren

PS. Guess you aren'tgonna tell us who you are... but I can always ask.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Hmmm ... pass me my magnifying glass Watson.
It's tempting to jump to obvious conclusions, Mackle. Complaining Guy has recently signed on at SF - read your 205 thread.
Are we to be tempted?
Lowrider.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Hi,
The EVO2 is a far superior motor to the NC3, the top speed is slightly higher and the braking much smoother, a definite advantage. I like your style losing the minutes of the meeting which prohibited the motor, when in doubt get rid of the evidence
. Are you a Labour politician ? Mr Blair would be proud of your cover up.

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Erm... get the facts right.

I told Jack and Brian that I would leave after an hours racing because it was my friends birthday, and I wanted to go and see him. Also, for the record, I was drawn to race alongside Mooster (Ric Woods) who is an excellent racer, and last time we were partnered for an endurance we won by a few laps, with Ric taking the strain for the last few segments.

You're just looking a bit childish now Russell. From what I recollect you have never turned up for endurance events untill the started offering a trophy at the end of the year. I support the club every week.

McLaren

PS. Anymore responses can be sent to my email address, I don't want it to look like Eastcote has a bad atmosphere. Guys, it's just one or two people, don't be put off.

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
There's two rules in question here.

1). Is an EVO2 eligable?

2). NC1's must be run in NC1 classes.

They are pretty simple rules, Rob.

McLaren

1 - 20 of 30 Posts