SlotForum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Brian Ferguson
3,652 Posts
Thanks for the review Nuro!

Now if only everyone would use set-screw wheels and gears on all their cars...

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
Nice one, Nuro!
It certainly looks as though Fly is making an effective attempt to woo the racers among us. Set screw alu wheels! Less useless detail and substantially lighter weight - exactly what we want!

Interesting points picked up by Nuro.
That 10:27 (2.7:1) gear ratio is peculiar.
It's out of kilter with normal practice for racing purposes, where I would expect 9:27 (3:1) as the absolute limit and would normally expect ratios of between 3 and 4.5 to 1, rather than a figure below 3 that Fly has provided here.

The axle diameter is interesting too.
Our old standards.
3/32 inch = 2.38 mm
1/8 inch = 3.18 mm

While it is anticipated that Scalextric plans to adopt a 3.00 mm standard for their projected performance accessories, Fly appears to have adopted 2.5 mm.
I don't much care WHICH is the standard, so long as it IS a standard! I really wish the major manufacturers would come to an agreement on these important dimensions.
An agreed standard would be in the interests of everyone.
Anyone else have thoughts on this?

·
Brian Ferguson
3,652 Posts
Tropi, I think this was the sort of thing you were trying to discuss in a previous thread on standards, but it drifted off because many saw standards as a way of stifling creativity and innovation. But I agree with you that such basic components as axles could (and should) be standardized. Standards can always evolve but there shouldn't be 4 or 5 different sizes in use at once. I'd prefer to see 3/32" (or even 2.5 mm) become a standard used by all the manufacturers. There is no need for larger sizes, and they have drawbacks in terms of weight and also motor placement for sidewinders. Combined with set-screw wheels and gears, the tuning and maintenance of RTRs would be a much simpler process. It would also enhance the market for more performance accessories and replacement parts, from both the factories and aftermarket suppliers.

I like the way Fly has done the rear of the "Racer" chassis. I hope it eventually migrates to all of their cars.

·
Alan Tadd
4,030 Posts
Excellent Review.

Great to see Fly using set screw components, shame they can't adopt this method for all their cars, it would save so much hassle.

As regards the 2.5mm against 3mm, I agree with Tropi, a common standard should be adopted by all. I think 3mm is too big, especially if you are thinking of using a sidewinder configeration when you need all the space you can get.

I would like to see figures on how this car performs against a "magnet-less" Slot.It Porsche or Audi, it would be interesting.

Nuro, you're track looks really good now.

Regards

Alan

PS Has Swissracer hibernated for Winter?

·
DT
5,195 Posts
I've updated the Review with a performance table.

Conditions:

[/CENTER]
[/CENTER]

[TD]​

[TR]

[TD] [/TD]

[TD]Power[/TD]

[TD]13.8
volts[/TD]

Track
records:

[TR]

[TD] [/TD]

[TD]Controller[/TD]

[TD]Parma
25 ohm[/TD]

[/TR]
[TR]

[TD] [/TD]

[TD]Track[/TD]

[TD]Doug's
Track
17.14 meters[/TD]

[/TR]
[TR]

[TD] [/TD]

[TD] [/TD]

[TD] [/TD]

[/TR]
[TR]

[TD]
Cars Tested:[/TD]

[TD] [/TD]

[/TR]
[TR]

[TD] [/TD]

[TD]Fly Racing Saleen S7R GT02[/TD]

[TD]6.31 seconds[/TD]

[/TR]
[TR]

[TD] [/TD]

[TD]Fly
Porsche
911 GT1
[/TD]

[TD]6.37 seconds[/TD]

[/TR]
[TR]

[TD] [/TD]

[TD]Scalextric
Porsche GT1
(2003 club car)[/TD]

[TD]7.30 seconds[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD] [/TD]

[TD] [/TD]

[TD] [/TD]

[/TR]

[TD] [/TD]

[TR]

[TD] [/TD]

[TD]Proteus
Lamborghini
[/TD]

[TD]4.70 seconds[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD] [/TD]

[TD]Fly
Viper
[/TD]

[TD]4.88 seconds[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD] [/TD]

[TD]Challenger[/TD]

[TD]6.96 seconds[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TD]

[/TR]

BEEJAY7 - Swiss is a little busy right now as he's working hard, has his kids on half term holliday and is trying to get his club track finished ASAP for the grand opening. I speak to him almost daily. He's keeping well and will be back here soon.

·
Premium Member
4,213 Posts
Greta Review Nuro

Just thought i would let you know that the FLY Racing Saleen is the first (of six) confirmed racer in the 2004-2005 NSCC International Race Championship. Gaugemaster are a sponsor of the Championship. Examples of this and the other cars will on view on the NSCC display at Jonny's Pheonix Race day.

The other cars/makes etc will be confirmed shorlty and full details will be available in a few weeks.

Gareth
NSCC

·
Registered
714 Posts
QUOTE Greta Review Nuro
From this, we may take a guess that Greta is Mrs Nuro.

See, behind every good man there is always a good woman!

·
Registered
308 Posts
Thanks for a great review Nuro.
I agree with all your comments that the Sallen is better out of the box than the Porsche Evo Rs. I tried mine in practice at the Porsche Challenge at Wolverhampton and it was immediately quicker than all the Porsches I had spent hours preparing. The only change I made was slot.it P2 tyres on the back. Next mod will be Slot.it axle and wheels and Boxer motor, should leave the Porches for dead then.

·
DT
5,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
After a few more days at it, I've managed to get the time for the Saleen down from 6.63 seconds to 6.31 seconds. The time for the Porsche has also come down to 6.37 after I added softening oil (WD-40) to the tyres.

·
Simon Moss (Undisputed #1 Racer Fan)
553 Posts
Thanks Nuro for the review. I already have one of the Porsche GT1 98's and was thinking about whether to add to my Fly racing stable. As this car seems to be quicker this review has swayed me toward purchasing one.

Anyone know where I can get one for £25

M

·
Registered
376 Posts
have a question guys........ I dont run on the plastic track that much but I have seen people talking about the WD40 for treating tires..... do you soak the tires?? and if so for how long?? or do you just use it as a tire cleaner

Chris......

·
John Roche
4,158 Posts
Hi Chris,

I run a wood track too so I'm just guessing but is it something to do with WD40 being silicon based

John

·
Jim Moyes
5,002 Posts
Jexy handed me one of these last night and said "Can you test this to destruction?"

Not being one to shirk my responsibilities, I got home and set up a start straight on my garage workbench and carefully positioned it at the edge. And do you know what........... it took three goes onto the concrete floor before it wouldn't drive any more
For the enthusiasts to detail, I was using 14.8 volts and a Parma 45 Economy controller.

Jexy, I really need a standard issue Saleen and possibly a Racer Porsche to do some comparison tests!

Seriously, though, and this may be old news to you serial tinkerers out there, one thing I did spot when comparing it to my standard Saleen, is that the Racer car's guide is much deeper than the standard one. Do Fly offer this guide as a spare part on it's own? At the clubs I go to we allow the Ninco guide to be fitted to help with the de-slotting problem, particularly when running the classics non-mag.

Oh! And Mrs M doesn't like the colour much!

Mr.M

·
John Roche
4,158 Posts
I thought I'd treat myself to a Saleen for the Phoenix meeting as I'd found one advertised at a reasonable price. I chose a yellow one. I'm planning to race it in the magnet free zone.

First impressions were of quite a nice looking car spoiled by ridiculously low profile front tyres. I hope this isn't the start of the slippery slope towards racing thingies as experienced in the 60's.

Anyway, on to the track and after some gentle running in it was quickly down towards the lap record for plastic chassis cars on my 55' routed track. The only real complaint is the lack of brakes and poor acceleration which I suspect will be improved if I borrow a contrate with a few more teeth from another car. I'll make sure I do it before the weekend. I'm also planning to add a bit of lead. I'm not sure if the rules allow chassis modifications so after the weekend I'll add a front axle tube to allow more realistic front tyres.

John

·
Brian Ferguson
3,652 Posts
John, is this the regular Saleen?
If so, the fronts should be in perfect scale. Mine are on the #5 HomeLink car. If anything, I'm having trouble to get the body to sit low enough, but the wheels and tires are definitely okay.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts