SlotForum banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

· Kevin Golloghly
1,447 Posts
HI. This is my first ever post on this forum so i don`t know if this has been covered yet... I have just bought a 2nd hand racing capri with `slot-it` rears. It just spins out all the time. The tyres feel realy soft. I was told they are `D` compound. Any help would be great cos i love racing with no magnet. I have a standard capri with magnet and its fantastic. Regards Kev

· Registered
565 Posts
Well, I see that 3 years ago, the Fly Racing Lola was the car to beat.
Has anyone compared this car to a newer Fly Evo3, an NSR Mosler, a Spirit Reynard Sport, or the newer Slot.it cars ?
Is it still faster ? I don't think so, but I don't have any Lola so I can't compare.

· Registered
876 Posts
Kev - The tires that come on the Fly race versions are called the "D type compound tire" - Slot.It tires use 1 - 4 and S or P for their tire designations...it'll also say Slot.It on one side of the tire.

If allowed, Ortmann's do work well - the only surface that those D's like is Artin where they give fantastic traction, however, react like on ice on near anything especially wood.

· Registered
35 Posts
Hi,

I brought the Fly Alfa 156 Racer.

Its doing very well in the non mag Touring cars class (box standard)
(weight may be added?)

Once its set up with a little weight its great fun? & Fast!

I am going to try it in the open non mag class with some slot it tyres but i think those Mosler will leave for dead??

Nice car to run Fly Alfa 156

· Registered
876 Posts
Anyone have or tried the race version SISU truck? Wonder how it compares with the standard ones on the track...and besides the lightweight body/interior, what other "race" parts does it have.

· Kevin Golloghly
1,447 Posts
QUOTE (Da Vols @ 16 May 2007, 10:54) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Kev - The tires that come on the Fly race versions are called the "D type compound tire" - Slot.It tires use 1 - 4 and S or P for their tire designations...it'll also say Slot.It on one side of the tire.

If allowed, Ortmann's do work well - the only surface that those D's like is Artin where they give fantastic traction, however, react like on ice on near anything especially wood.Thanks for the reply. They do say Slot-it on one side. I need something that will work on Scalextric Classic plus Sport track
Please help....Kev

· Registered
261 Posts
QUOTE (timkoul @ 16 May 2007, 08:16) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Well, I see that 3 years ago, the Fly Racing Lola was the car to beat.
Has anyone compared this car to a newer Fly Evo3, an NSR Mosler, a Spirit Reynard Sport, or the newer Slot.it cars ?
Is it still faster ? I don't think so, but I don't have any Lola so I can't compare.

On our Ninco club track (non-mag), the Fly Racing Lola is easily beaten by the Evo3, NSR and Spirit. The only Slot.it car tried is the Ferrari 312, which beats the Lola, but is slower than the others.

All the cars are blue-printed, box-stock. The Ferrari has some weight behind the guide.

My "standard" Fly Lola B98/10, fitted with better tyres, is very close to the Racing version.

· Registered
1,026 Posts
QUOTE (Bishop Lv426 @ 22 May 2007, 01:22) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Thanks for the reply. They do say Slot-it on one side. I need something that will work on Scalextric Classic plus Sport track
Please help....Kev
Hi Kev,

Tyres are subject to a level of personal taste. For Scalextric Sport, I've found that Ortmanns are the best tyre I've tried by a noticeable margin. However, they don't have that advantage on the rougher Classic or SCX track pieces. If your Classic pieces are quite smooth (depends on the age of manufacture of the pieces) then you may find that Ortmanns work well on that too. It may seem odd, but the smoother surfaces give better grip for Ortmanns.

If you want a good compromise for rougher Classic and SCX pieces together with smooth Sport pieces, I can recommend NSR UltraGrips. I find them slightly better than Slot.it P3's and P4's.

As with any tyres, wear will depend on your driving style. If you drive sideways, 'drift' style, then you'll not get much life out of any of your tyres. I've not had a problem with a smoother driving style with either the Ortmanns or the NSR's.

· Registered
565 Posts
QUOTE (clockworks @ 22 May 2007, 09:30) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>On our Ninco club track (non-mag), the Fly Racing Lola is easily beaten by the Evo3, NSR and Spirit. The only Slot.it car tried is the Ferrari 312, which beats the Lola, but is slower than the others.

All the cars are blue-printed, box-stock. The Ferrari has some weight behind the guide.

My "standard" Fly Lola B98/10, fitted with better tyres, is very close to the Racing version.

I understand, but this happens because the newer models possibly have better motors and tires ?
If the same motors/tires are used, what would the result be ?

· Nobby Berkshire
1,987 Posts
I only have the gold Racer Porsche GT198 with magnet and smallcan Racer motor. It runs 0.5 seconds SLOWER over 80foot of layout than a standard 6 year-old non-Racer Porsche GT198 in unmodified form with standard Scalex-style Mabuchi motor and placcy hubs.

In my book, that speaks for itself...all the alloy hubs and half-cockpit ugliness plus a fancypants motor for a NEGATIVE effect on performance fopr more cash.

· Registered
565 Posts
If we are talking non-mag, the Fly GT1 98 Evo3 racing car, is way out in front of any non racing fly I have ever seen.
But, magnets may change the equation dramatically.

· Registered
261 Posts
QUOTE (timkoul @ 22 May 2007, 10:09) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I understand, but this happens because the newer models possibly have better motors and tires ?
If the same motors/tires are used, what would the result be ?

I've just checked the cars that I mentioned in my previous post.

The Fly Racing Lola is stock, apart from having Slot.it P4 rear tyres.
The Fly standard B98/10 is totally stock.
The Evo3 has P4s.
The Spirit is totally stock.

Seems to me that the downfall of the Fly Racing Lola is the stock long-can motor. It isn't powerful enough to exploit the "upgraded" running gear.
Although the Racing Lola chassis/body is lighter than the standard one, the bigger motor makes it heavier than the standard car.

The much more flexible chassis of the Evo3 works better than the standard/racing chassis, compensating for the "low" power from the stock motor.

The stock tyres (they're the ones with small oval depressions in the tread) on the standard Lola are a good match for Ninco track, possibly better than the P4s.

I've recently fitted a Slot.it Boxer/2 20k motor, along with 11/24 gearing and P4s, into another Evo3, and the thing really flies. Shame no-one else at the club has anything suitable to compete against it.

· Registered
565 Posts
The Fly motors are very slow and the Fly racing cars are relatively heavy. Whenever a more powerfull motor is used, Fly racing cars are doing exactly what their name implicits, they are Flying!
We have 2 Evo3s with Avant Slot green motors, these are similar to the Boxer2. They are the fastest cars we have, equal to the Spirit Reynard Sport in general.

· Registered
259 Posts
Check these topics...
LMP Round 4
LMP Round 5
These are the reports of the two final races of the Greek LMP Championship.
I only participated in these two as i am new to the hobby.
The car is the Fly Porsche 911 GT1 Evo3 with an Avant Slot Hunter motor. The track is SCX.
As you can see.... it beats the spirits and the slot.its, despite the fact that the last are driven by very fast and experienced drivers.

Fly FTW!!! (For The Win)

· Kevin Golloghly
1,447 Posts
QUOTE (zendragon @ 15 May 2007, 23:25) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>whoa
Where are you sir, come on down to our club we will show you how to make your car Fly.

Respect

ZEN

ps the club is MHSC WatfordHi Zendragon, i come from London but now live in suffolk (Bungay). The club i race at is Presto Park in Aylsham and also HO at Mussell Bay in Kings Lynn

· Registered
240 Posts
Our club recently bought 4 Racing Alfas, 4 Racing trucks and 4 slot its as host classes. the Slot it cars are the only race cars among them .
The truck wheels refuse to stay on, so far three gears have been replaced with superior standard scalex crown gears.
Two of the Alfa pinions have been replaced and one crown all of this over TWO race meets.

We are all well aware of Flys history of poor quality and their shortcomings and also of their beautiful detail modelling offerings of which I have many and will continue to collect, But to call this series a "racing" series is a bad joke to the point where we can we will replacing all rear axles with Slot it running gear.May be a problem with the trucks but we'll see .

FLY GET YOUR ACT TOGETHER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

· Registered
259 Posts
Slotheeed, unfortunately you are right.
Fly's axles, crowns and pinions are of poor quality.
I have encountered multiple problems on my Porsche GT1 (Evo3) with these accessories so when i bought my BMW M3 GTR (Evo3) i instantly replaced axles, crown, pinion, and hubs with MB parts. MB's axles are 3/32" so i can use slot.it accessories as well.
The fact is that Fly has a very good chassis equipped with poor quality peripherals...... i can live with that because i can afford the extra cost and i race on an open (no stock cars) championship. For those who want a racer out-of-the-box go for the Spirit Reynard or the Spirit Peugeot silhouette.

· Registered
35 Posts
I brought the Fly Racer and the gears were stripped in one evening of racing which it supposed to be a Fly Racer????

We pay enough for them so come on Fly??

Why should we replace gears etc so we can use them for what they are designed for?
Other members have had the same problem with the Fly Racer TRUCKS!!

I have to say the FLY Alfa 156 Racer has worked well and has not suffered and has evern won a race for me at the Club? (so it must be good)

Team Skoda

21 - 40 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.