SlotForum banner
21 - 40 of 70 Posts

· Premium Member
4,741 Posts
Having come back from a near-death experience I think they have done a magnificent job. All the little flaws can easily be put right, unlike many other manufacturers efforts, and I think I'm going to have to put one of these on my shopping list. Let's hope they produce enough to satisfy demand.

· Peter Farrell
2,093 Posts
As and when I do buy a RTR half the pleasure of having the model is to 'improve it'. Looking at the costings from my oerspective, taking into account the 'improvements" it works out at about the same cost per model as a scratchbuild. So ?
Peter

· Registered
1,330 Posts
Each to their own, rebuilding a model after paying out £40 is not for everyone and shouldn't in theory; be necessary. It looks like a few corners have been cut to make savings.

I think I would have returned the car if the mirror's were that askew on my model. The driver with the printed visor is awful (why change?) and further detracts from what could be a great model. Sorry.

James

· Registered
2,253 Posts
Mine's ordered and although I do understand the niggling comments if they're the only one's doing these type of cars i'll say YES and buy every time. The market responds to the lack of availability.

Put it this way if FLY produced a new one of these so called 'shoddy' cars every month i'd buy 'em all.......

Cheers

Andi

· Registered
265 Posts
Thanks to Dopamine for the very useful first look. One question for you though - you said that the tyres look true but aren't they anything but? Like all the other Fly classic F1 cars, the rear tyres are noticeably convex and take a lot of truing to get them even - my March certainly did and these look the same. The difference in lap times and driveability was very noticeable indeed after the tyres were trued. Which took a sodding long time! I've still got one on order of course.

G

·
QUOTE (Scott @ 10 Jul 2011, 18:19) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>To me it looks like a good "budget" model, not at all what I expect from Fly, or at least the old Fly. The tampos are not sharp, the right shape or even complete. Add in the ridiculous driver, mirrors and it's all a bit shoddy really.

Have to agree with Scott, the driver is so.... carp really... but does it run well?

· David H
4,388 Posts
QUOTE (rmcclure @ 12 Jul 2011, 11:26) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>you said that the tyres look true but aren't they anything but? Like all the other Fly classic F1 cars, the rear tyres are noticeably convex
Yes, my explanation wasn't clear. Although convex, they appear uniformly convex around their entire circumference and there is no "wheel wobble" when rotating the wheels, i.e., the car runs smoothly along a flat surface instead of up and down as some do with out of round tyres. To maximise the tyre's contact patch, it will, as you say, need grinding or sanding flat.

I also have several Fly Marchs. Like the Lotus, they all had round but convex tyres, but I've only given them a light sanding to slightly increase the contact patch. That has provided sufficient grip for me on Scalextric Classic track without magnets. I'm sure if I did what you've done and increased the contact patch to its maximum, grip would increase substantially.

QUOTE (miveson @ 10 Jul 2011, 03:40) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Top pictures - did you photograph the model outside?
Yes. Late afternoon sun about 2 hours before sunset.

· Premium Member
1,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Andi (Conti_rowland) has hit the nail right on the head. The build quality may be suspect, the driver look odd, but I will also buy the Brabham when it is released (and if it ever comes out the Renault that was advertised when the Lotus was announced) as there are too few classic 1970/80 F1 cars available.

If they issue a Peterson or Neilson (?) versions of this Lotus I will also buy them. (I did draw the line at the Keegan and Lees Williams' though.)

If there was a better alternative to Flyslot I would purchase that. But until then I am a happy chap.
(Until this car was issued I had to make do with a Polistil Lotus 78!!!!)

Now, where is my screwdriver and glue?

Cheers all,
Philip

· Registered
147 Posts
QUOTE (Scott @ 12 Jul 2011, 17:31) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I think the message is clear; Hornby, make more 70's F1 cars.

The other day I was actually fixing up my Scalextric Ferrari 312 T3, and I discovered that it is actually FANTASTIC to drive! Because the front wheels don't touch the ground, it has an almost perfect tripod effect, and when the wheels and bearings were glued it became one of my fastest cars!

Remember, guys; Scalextric AND MRRC both produced some fantastic cars in the 1970s. They may not be as detailed as their modern counterparts, but they are as fun, if not more, than most modern cars.

Just my two cents

Cheers,
thestig514

· Registered
2,085 Posts
Are tobacco laws very liberal (i.e. non existent) in the UK?? Can you place tobacco livery on a kid's toy? Or do the cars come packed with "stickers" over the JPS logos that you can peel off after purchase?? Cant do it in Australia, well not legally in any case.

cheers
rick1776

21 - 40 of 70 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.