SlotForum banner
41 - 60 of 70 Posts
G

·
QUOTE (rick1776 @ 13 Jul 2011, 10:34) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Are tobacco laws very liberal (i.e. non existent) in the UK?? Can you place tobacco livery on a kid's toy? Or do the cars come packed with "stickers" over the JPS logos that you can peel off after purchase?? Cant do it in Australia, well not legally in any case.

cheers
rick1776

The Lotus came with JPS uncovered.
As far as i am aware, there are no laws regarding tobacco sponsorshipon toys in the UK. It is voluntary.

· Premium Member
7,835 Posts
QUOTE I think the message is clear; Hornby, make more 70's F1 cars.
But with the cig' laws they'd never tampo the "John Player Special" and, frankly, my experience of their McLaren stripping the thread on the nose screw after its first re-enactment of a classic 'Hunt the Shunt' moment is what would make me nervous of buying this one. I know, I know; this is Fly, that was Margate but all the same, I wonder if the shape and design of these Seventies classics are too fragile for the modern missile motors.

Yet still, I'm annoyed I didn't pony up for the Vansquish Lotus 72. Missed that boat, don't want to miss this. Least, I think I don't.

· David H
4,388 Posts
QUOTE (Pete-slot @ 13 Jul 2011, 17:50) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>the real thing

Not quite. I don't know where or when that photograph was taken, but it's not of Andretti in the 1977 Longbeach race. The livery is slightly different. Possibly it's practice/qualifying, or maybe a different event entirely.

This is Andretti at Longbeach '77, but again I don't know whether it's qualifying or the race. There is no red stripe below the front number.

Race or practice/qualifying? No idea.

The only definitive view of the Longbeach race livery that I can find is at 8.55 in this video, where you can see the UK flag clearly above the front number and, I think, a red stripe below.

However, whether the livery is completely accurate or otherwise, I'm happy enough that Fly have produced this model with a JPS livery. A sanitised tobacco free version by one of the bigger slot manufacturers wouldn't have prised any money from me. Well done Flyslot.

· Registered
483 Posts
QUOTE (Dopamine @ 9 Jul 2011, 19:29) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Dismantling the car requires removing the gearbox casing, which conceals a small screw that holds the rear wing in place and also clamps the top and bottom shell halves together.Took a bit of figuring out that...

QUOTE (cabbyman @ 13 Jul 2011, 11:16) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Is there any chance of a few pictures of the underside and inside of this model, I'm curious to have a look at the crown and pinion.I have not gotten around to taking a picture yet but I just took mine apart and there is a VERY significant and pleasant surprise: Fly is to be commended for placing a spacer between the crown gear and the bushing, therefore positively locating the crown gear! As far as regularly priced inline cars go, I cannot offhand recall any manufacturer doing this. It might be a case of necessity being the mother of invention as it looks like the crown gear was meant for a 2mm motor shaft while the FF50 motor has a 1.5mm shaft, but I still like it. If I were to be nitpicky I could also say that the resultant mesh is a bit tight for my taste, but this will probably improve with some running.

Looking forward to getting this on the track.

· Premium Member
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
QUOTE (Slots-O-Fun @ 13 Jul 2011, 17:20) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>What Brabham and Renault are they considering? I must have missed that thread.

The Brabham is the BT49 as shown in the latest Flyslot flyers. It is a bit of a shame it is the BT49 as there are several versions already available. However, the Scalextric does not look quite right, MRRC is too bloated and lacks detail, and the Vanquish is over-scale.

The Renault was the RS01 (I think) and was announced at the same Toy Fair that the 78 was first publicised (2008/9?!!?)

Cheers,
Philip

· Registered
559 Posts
QUOTE (Dopamine @ 10 Jul 2011, 04:29) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>The helmet, which is an acceptably accurate shape, is let down by poor alignment of the tampo print.

Not only poor alignment, I'm afraid: The tampo pattern is also totally wrong for this helmet.
The molded pattern in the helmet indicates at totally different shape of the helmet visor.
There's no way Andretti's "straight tampo visor" will fit the molded-in "angled visor" in the helmet.
Also compare with Ronnie Petersons helmet in the March 761 car, with a tampo visor pattern
that would fit the Andretti helmet a lot better...

· Premium Member
1,123 Posts
Quoting Dopamine: "Not quite. I don't know where or when that photograph was taken, but it's not of Andretti in the 1977 Longbeach race. The livery is slightly different. Possibly it's practice/qualifying, or maybe a different event entirely."

The first photo of the real car may have been taken at the US GP at Watkins Glen. The filename includes just "USA".
There were two GPs in the US in 1977. The Long Beach race was the US GP West.
Rob J

· Registered
559 Posts
QUOTE (rick1776 @ 16 Jul 2011, 02:10) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>The tampo pad or helment were upsidedown when the black visor was applied.
Yeah, sure. And if you believe that, I've got a bridge in Brooklyn for you...

There's still no way the black tampo pad will fit the molded-in visor in the helmet,
even if turned upsidedown. The shapes are totally wrong and won't fit or interact.
Besides, the "John Player" text (also in black) will be upsidedown on the helmet's
"chin" if the tampo pad is reversed.

QUOTE (rick1776 @ 16 Jul 2011, 02:10) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>No big drama, just need to wait for the second run of 3000 to be made.
Great. And and then we have the world's largest collection of very rare misprints: The first 3000 cars.
Can't wait to lay my hands on at least one of these rarities, and I'll be rich man eventually.

· Premium Member
5,659 Posts
The helmet doesn't look so bad when viewed on the shelf or the track, although it is a bit bizarre - probably just a Chinese misinterpretation that Fly doesn't have the funds to put right. If a Lotus is required in your collection I'd think this one should fit the bill.

Funnily enough I spent a bit of time with Mario last year when he came for the 60th anniversary celebrations of F1. He drove the 79 - blatantly disregarding the chequered flag and then the black flag, in order to get some extra laps in! After it was all over his manager Patty came running over in a panic and said 'he's lost his helmet'! Eventually it turned up in the sidepod, where he'd put it for safekeeping and forgotten all about it.

Patty was relieved. Apparently Mario's only lost one helmet in his life, which was stolen from the pit wall of the Indy 500 - forcing him to switch to his spare which wasn't equipped with a radio. I think it was 1986 or 87, she said.

Looking forward to the Brabham, one of my all-time favourites, and hoping for a Peterson reissue of this one, having missed out.

Enjoy!

· Registered
103 Posts
I received my Lotus the other day and what struck me most was that the text & stripes aren't gold - they're more like pale green. I guess it's difficult to achieve a good gold print or maybe I got a poor example?
The gold on black livery is such a major feature of this iconic car, I'm a bit put off by the poor print. Very difficult to improve too, unlike the other relatively minor flaws. All the same it's a nice model.

· Premium Member
1,123 Posts
QUOTE (balsaworks @ 17 Jul 2011, 04:11) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Someone just pointed out in another forum that the correct shade for the JPS logo is a tan colour similar to a biscuit, rather than gold. Fly probably used the right shade on their model but the print is too thin for the black background so it comes out as pale green.
With apologies to someone who posted this somewhere, sometime:
"When the Lotus 72 first got the JPS sponsorship the cars were black and gold. But it was found that gold didn't show up on the black and white TV's of the day, and the cars just looked mostly black. So they changed the gold to 'signwriters gold', a proper colour, which is a beige tan colour with no metallic element at all. This carried on through all the later cars."
I took a "note" when I read it but didn't record the author.

· Registered
479 Posts
I picked up two recently and couldn't really fault them I've used one on my classic track and it is a very fast car close to the March and waaaaaaay better than the Williams, thanks Mr Fly.
There is one problem though which is an easy fix, its the fact that something is missing that really detracts from the overall finished article.................no sponsers names on the tyres!

Rumour has it that Bad#Year as I will now forever refer to them as, got the a*se with Fly 'cause they didnt ask permission to use their logo's, causing them all kinds of grief.......if this is true then thanks mr big tyre company, go pick on someone else and leave our struggling slot car companies alone! Anyway this is how the Lotus should have looked, I've even added their Logo's to the wing endplates..............

41 - 60 of 70 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.