SlotForum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been thinking now for some time about expanding my Tomy AFX track in my garage, ever since going to my first SCHORC meeting and seeing some of the larger layouts that Tony had concocted. My first track was on an 10x4ft board in the middle of the garage, the idea would be for me to winch the up out of the way when not in use.

Since then it has mutated a few times.

This being the most recent

So, after thinking long and hard....well a few minutes I decided the I needed a larger track, something that would ECHO (sorry carp joke) tracks at the SCHORC or EACHORC meets. I came up with creating an 'L' shaped track that could fit in the corner of the garage. This was track idea was taken from the brilliant website http://www.hoslotcarracing.com/ the track is called the Eron 88.

So this brings me to my next issue apart from sourcing all of the extra track, I would like the tables to be attached to the walls of the garage so when not in use they could be folded up against the wall and locked into position thus creating space when not in use. Here are a couple of pictures of the garage (excuse the mess) all of the shelves and rubbish would be cleared allowing clear space.

So has anyone have any ideas how this could be achieve rather than me going out and impulse buying loads more timber and ironmongery.

More piccies and progress reports will follow on this post. Thanks for your time.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
I have massive garage envy right now! And your current track is bigger than mine!

One thing to bear in mind if going for a corner track is that you will struggle to marshal the parts of the track along the wall so you will either need to design the track so that it is simple along the wall, buy a child's grab arm to retrieve cars or rethink having it against the wall.

I'm hoping when we move I can do similar although I'm going permanent or possibly routed!

·
Premium Member
2,574 Posts
A tricky question is that Lee, my thoughts are winch the track to the ceiling height when not in use!

Joints in an L shaped track really aught to be parallel, to aid successful cross board track connection.

We can talk about it on Wednesday night a bit more!

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
just a quick update with some piccies, I have been playing about in the garage most of today and come up with this.....may not keep but thought I would share.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
QUOTE (woodcote @ 2 Jul 2012, 21:03) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Just two and a bit hours on the train from Brighton...

And I can bring you that bacon sarnie I owe you

Andy, I may just hold you to that mate....I would even pick you up from the station...hows that?

·
Registered
730 Posts
That Mr T is very impressive.

Are you familiar with the 'Ikea leg solution'?

We use it for our 1/32 track and andyslots uses it fr his portable ho track, been around this hobby a long time and it's by far the best thing I've seen. The what did we do before Ikea legs line is still trotted out several times a year at FLBT.

I'll try and remember to take some pics of the underside of and how we store our track at club tomorrow.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
QUOTE (marctownsend @ 2 Jul 2012, 20:30) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>That Mr T is very impressive.

Are you familiar with the 'Ikea leg solution'?

We use it for our 1/32 track and andyslots uses it fr his portable ho track, been around this hobby a long time and it's by far the best thing I've seen. The what did we do before Ikea legs line is still trotted out several times a year at FLBT.

I'll try and remember to take some pics of the underside of and how we store our track at club tomorrow.

Evening Marc, thanks for the comments. Regarding the table legs Clive spoke to me yesterday about them (I was meant to chat with you but forgot) if you could take a photo of them as there are a few different types.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
Loving the new track there Lee. I hadn't realised your garage was a double before now but that makes sense with the size of your old layout and with space for the drivers.

What is the overall table area for the new layout? Also, you have quite a lot of empty area still on the boards. You could try and squeeze more track in provided it doesn't confuse the layout and make it too messy.

·
Registered
9,719 Posts
QUOTE (Gareth @ 4 Jul 2012, 14:49) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>You have quite a lot of empty area still on the boards. You could try and squeeze more track in....

I used to do that when I had a garage track, and more often that not I made it worse. Certainly worth exploring though.

As for the screw in table legs, my guess would be you recess something like these:

If a Bacon sarnie is the race fee, count me in. I promise to behave

·
Registered
730 Posts
Lee, really sorry 13 hour day up in the big smoke yesterday, million and two things to do before leaving for Silverstone tonight but I'll see if I can get Andy to put some pics up of his, if not it will be early next week. Sorry.

Deanes pics are similar though.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So, on Saturday evening Jimbo and Bob came over to help me to decide where to place the tables and which track to go

I just need to create some space around the 'L' shape and to put power to the lasty two lanes.

Updates to follow

1 - 18 of 18 Posts