SlotForum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been floating around here for a while now, absorbing knowledge and getting more and more jealous of the tracks that people have built.
So, I took it upon myself to build a wooden routed track to tailor to my very specific needs. Namely,that it take up very little space in the flat. This proved difficult as we need space for the animals, computers and us. The result of this is a folding track; two sections of wood which fold up against the wall which can be put away when I'm finished driving or want the desk for something else.

I've got the construction of the table finished, I 'just' need to route it and lay down the paint and electrics now. I'm on holiday for this week so I can get the routing done and hopefully the painting as well before the weekend.
The track itself follows a figure of 8 principle, using as much of the space as possible.
I've gotten new controllers as a birthday present as well so I can ditch the scalextric rubbish (genuinely surprised at how pathetic the newer controllers are).

I'll get more pictures uploaded as progress moves on. I'll be running some test cuts with the router tomorrow, pending the success of this, I'll hopefully get started on the track as well.

Fantus.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Kev
Testing went ok so I've started the process of cutting the slot. Using speaker cable as a guide and nailing it down to keep it in place.

First section done, just need to do the other lane.

Fantus.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Nice work.... can't wait to see how it comes along.
I started building a routed track four years ago that i planned to fold away onto a small trailer for easy transportation ... but two weeks into it i ended up moving overseas ... bit hard to cart MBF and tools over with me.
My living quarters now in London aboard a narrow boat is a little confined so a fold-up style layout would suit me perfect.

Will you be making the flippers from scratch or simply embed track pieces into your design ?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
QUOTE Will you be making the flippers from scratch or simply embed track pieces into your design ?

This track is purely analogue, haven't got any plans to go digital as of yet. Maybe on a future build when I have more space.

I've gotten quite a bit done this week; completed all the routing and have undercoated the lot. I'll get some pictures up when I've got a bit more time.
It's a fairly simple design, it's just hinges attached to the desk and it's own weight hold its back when it's folded up. Just had to make sure there was enough space for the elevated section behind the desk when it's folded up.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts