SlotForum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have accidentally managed to get super glue fumes on to the clear plastic windshield of a GT40 I am respraying.

Any ideas how to remove them.

I really don't want to have to buy a £7 kit for this piece

Cheers

Az

·
DT
5,195 Posts
Aie...

I don't know how to remove them, but when I superglue a car, I place it in front of a fan until the glue dries to get rid of the fumes and prevent discoloration. Keeping the glass clean also helps as the glue vapour reacts with moisture and residue from your hands.

·
Premium Member
1,342 Posts
I haven't had this problem since I use window (white) glue for windshields...but my first thought is that plastic window polish (such as Novus 2 or 3M Plastic Polish) ought to remedy the situation. I am guessing it is a thin crystalline "cloud" superficially on the surface of the plastic...try water, polish and a little rubbing.

cheers,
John

·
Registered
384 Posts
QUOTE (azrael @ 19 Dec 2004, 22:47)I have accidentally managed to get super glue fumes on to the clear plastic windshield of a GT40 I am respraying.

Any ideas how to remove them.

I really don't want to have to buy a £7 kit for this piece

Cheers

Az
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

try some "brasso".
lightly only .then polish with some car wax.
hope it works for you

·
Registered
312 Posts
HI Az,

As mentioned, a metal polish like brasso or silvo is a good start, You'll need to rinse the residue off after though, before you do anything else. Another fix is Tamiya FINE polishing compound. If you are left with a slight bloom on the clear, a last ditch coat of acrylic clear will bring it up well.

Most important is to stop using Superglue on clear plastic!! I know it's a good quick fix but it's not a solution. What I do with all my scratch built lights and windscreens and RTR car repairs is rub the joint faces lightly with 600 wet and dry. This cleans the joint. I then mix a small amount of slow drying Epoxy resin. I use a clear setting one. I then paint the joining faces with a thin coat of epoxy using a fine paint brush. The clear plastic part is then put in place with tweezers and left to cure for at least 24 hours. As yet I haven't had anything fall out, unlike when I superglued Scaley GT40 rear screens and various Fly and Scalextric headlights!!

One other thing, if you add a small drop of colour to epoxy (Acrylic OR enamel) it will still dry and hold but will not be rock hard. I use this method for fixing clear side and rear lights. Red for stop/tail lights, orange for flashers and silver for side and reverse lights. By the way, you won't have wasted a brush. Epoxy will wash out with acetone but a far cheaper alternative is brake fluid, then a rinse in clean water!

·
Premium Member
5,679 Posts
Interesting, I stuffed up my Art Sports McLaren F1 in this way, removing the lights to paint the recesses black and then replacing them, would, I postulated, make it look better.

Sh1t if the darn lamps don't look all fogged up and naff now. Mind, I tell myself it is genuinely more realistic, as it now looks like the kind of condensation that race cars often suffer with when running in the rain.

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
I usually manage to get the fumes in my eyes and mouth... so count yourself lucky that they are on the screen.

Oh, btw. The fumes are some sort of cyanide compound, ie. the stuff that's in suicide pills. Try not to breath it in.

Andy

·
Senior Slot Car Mechanic
2,230 Posts
Any clear coating will fix you right up.

For clouded,scratched and generally crappy windshields,just dip them in Future Clear Floor Finish.Not only does the clouding and scratches dissapear,but,the windshield acually looks thinner.

For the foggy tailights,just a drop of clear on them will instantly"Clear"them up.

For gluing in Windshields,Weldbond,or special windshield glues from most hobbyshops are the best.Better than Epoxy,because they are less Toxic and you don't have to mix them.Plus,they dry completely clear.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts