Slot Cars Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After seeing Dave post the photos from the race on the Isle of Mann of the lime green Auto Union I thought that he could use a post with his latest kit to drum up some sales.

The kit is very well cast and comes with a resin driver with legs for a change, he got "borrowed" for my own Auto Union project. The driver was replaced with a Penelope Pitlane torso that has legs that go under the instrument panel and a head out of my bag of heads that looked right for the era. The TRRC/Penelope Pitlane wheels had some lathe work done to them to narrow down the center rib to get them to accept the narrow Scaley Classic GP tyres on the front and the Indy Grip replacement silicone tyres on the rear. After the backs of the wheels were painted black, a coat of clear was put on and dried the wheels went back on the lathe to trim off some paint to simulate the brake drums. A prototype decal was put on the face of the wheel to simulate a ventilated brake drum to give the wheels a little extra. The wheels were assembled and got a few more coats of dullcoat.

A big thank you goes out to all the gentlemen on this site for passing on the tips to make this. I hope that you like it. Ken

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
very nice work , I really like the paint and light weathering job on this Maserati .That's the way I love slotcars !!

·
Registered
503 Posts
I was viewing this thread on my smart phone (which is clearly smarter than its operator) and somehow I ended up with the Maserati as my phone's wallpaper.

I have no idea how I did this. But I'm in no hurry to change the wallpaper back to the generic Verizon abstract swirls.

This is a great looking car.

Thanks for sharing Ken. It looks like I'll be carrying this around with me for a while. Literally.

Cheers,

Mark

·
Pete Shepherd
1,689 Posts
Hi Ken,

Great job! It looks spot on to me and the paint finish suits the car perfectly.

Pete

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hello and thank you all for your kind words.
I had the photos taken by a freind who does catalog shots for a web business and he will get me some photos later on today for those who asked. Here is a link to my Photobucket projects file where you can see some photos of cars that I have been working on including this one that you can look at till the photos arrive. http://s225.photobucket.com/albums/dd308/m...;cpZZ1QQtppZZ24

Cheers Ken

·
Al Schwartz
3,378 Posts
Well, here's a start that I don't have to finish:

It was relegated to the "some day" shelf when I could not get the front grille right. (the nose shape varied from year to year)

The 6CM intrigued me as a prototype for an Early Birds entry because the voiturette class cars ran smaller wheels and tires thus a lower CG - but I believe that this hole in the rules was plugged!

EM

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi EM

Nice work on the buck for making a mold. That is way past my skill level. I was perplexed by the number of varients of the same car. I have another 6CM that was a diecast toy that was recast in resin as a slotcar body that is much rounder and narrower but does not have the torsion bar mounts like the one you did and the ones on this car.
I was pleased to see how nice the kit actually went together.
Regards Ken

·
Premium Member
1,780 Posts
Hi Ken, when I was finalising the pattern and photo etch design for this car it was intended that the photo etch grille piece be sligthly curved, I notice on yours the grille is flat. There should be scope in the casting for it to accept a curved grille (if you place the grille with the central vertical spine along a pen/pencil and press down on the edges slightly) before fixing to the body.

Fantastic build and very pleased to see a built one done to this level.

·
David Farrow
1,225 Posts
Hi

So what has happened to Dave and his slot car empire? He seems to have collected quite a few moulds from a lot of different people and horded them all. Not a sight of him, he used to come to quite a few meeting that would be a good place to market his product. But his not to be seen.

If you are reading this Dave… for goodness sake get a website and do some marketing.. Please, I don't think anyone wants to see you get feed up as you're not making any sales. I see this time and time again and I don't want to see any more lost..

All the best Dave and I hope to see you soon.

Df

·
Dave Capelen
2,767 Posts
Hi all

I'm still around and lots of things are in the pipeline.

Unfortunately I have been unwell on and off this year so far, so I am hoping for a better second half to the year.

There have been delays obtaining new supplies of bodies from my resin casters, and I am still waiting for them.

These factors and uncertainty surrounding my job have impacted on my ability to attend meetings in the UK and to progress matters as quickly as I and loyal customers would have liked.

Expect updates on the Tertre Rouge Racing Cars website and the re-launching of FPF Models as SMK Slotcar Models and Kits, with a new website, very shortly. I then hope to fulfil any outstanding orders.

There are several new models in total planned for release either shortly or later this year from both brands.

Nice to see the lovely shots of the Maserati Ken, it's a really good job, thank you...!

I am currently 2/3 of the way through building one for myself and was assisting a fellow club member with his last night, plus I hear rumblings of a couple more locally, so expect to see some photos on the Manx Slot Car Club thread and on here shortly.

And for loud bloke's benefit, I have entered for the GB Slot Rally at Oxford in 10 days, the Wellingborough Classic meeting in early September, Yorkley at the end of September, the final GB Slot rally round at Abergavenny in November, plus the two Wolves events, the Saloons in October and the 1.5 litre cars in November.

Nice to know I am missed!

Finally, thanks for your patience, normal service will be resumed in the next couple of weeks.

Cheers
Dave

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hello Marlon

Thank you for your insight on the grill and the positive comments on the build. I am now debating on taking the grill back out, putting the bend in it and putting it back in place.

Hello Dave

I hope that you get to feeling better.

When the Alfettas come out you will be getting another order from the group I race with US, any word on when that may be? Do you have a timeline on a possible date for when you will be coming out with the series two cars? I have been waiting for the W25's for it seems a very long time.

Best regards
Ken

·
Dave Capelen
2,767 Posts
Hi Ken

Many thanks for your kind wishes.

I was hoping to release the Alfetta by the end of August, which will complete GP Series 1, but the timescale to have the bodies cast may be a delaying factor.

There are a number of other projects which need a little more work to bring them to fruition, but at the moment I am unsure in which order they will follow. However, I hope to clarify this over the next couple of weeks. I do appreciate that some of the cars were announced quite a long time ago, but I would not wish to rush something out and not reach the expected standard!

Now that I am working 0800 to 1400 most days in my day job, I hope that, health permitting, I can make noticeable strides forward in the remainder of this year.

I'll keep you all posted and again, thanks for your patience.

Cheers
Dave

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for the update Dave. I will start saving my pennies for the Alfetta, send me a note when you have them ready, it looks like the boys will be up for a few more shells by then. I should have the Auto Union done by then too.

Cheers
Ken

·
Dave Capelen
2,767 Posts
Evening folks

Well, some progress to report, which is a step forward at last....I now have 4 of the TRRC shells back in stock and will update the website in the next few days. Need to tweak a couple more for re-issue and then finish the Alfetta.

As far as SMK is concerned, several new releases getting quite close, see the thread at:
http://www.slotforum.com/forums/index.php?...mp;#entry633360, post #172.

Now, where's the midnight oil....aah, I forgot, it's still light until 10:30 pm anyway, at this time of year....!

aCheers
Dave

1 - 19 of 19 Posts